I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Tape to blank??
Posted by: Dan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2001 08:31PM

Looking for the best transition to bring the cork tape to the blank. Would shrink wrap be an option? It would also have to go to the reel seat. I know its a newbie question but I'm just not sure about it.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Tape to blank??
Posted by: Joe R. (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2001 09:37PM

Dan,
I believe heat shrink will work. I taper the cork tape to the blank using sandpaper or a smooth file and then wrap from the blank up the cork tape using heavy wrapping thread (size FF). I use the same thread at the reel seat. Use the same finish as on the guides. This gives a nice finished appearance. Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Joe

Posted by: Tom Kelly (24.4.254.---)
Date: December 06, 2001 11:36PM

I did something similar to what Jor R. mentioned except I built a 'ramp' with C or D thread and then applied several coats of finish until a smooth transition was achieved. I then triple-wrapped over that with the colors used on the rest of the rod.

Take a look:

[www.momentoffame.com]
[www.momentoffame.com]

Have fun with it!

Posted by: Tom Kelly (24.4.254.---)
Date: December 06, 2001 11:37PM

Sorry... That should have been Joe R.

My apologies Joe.

Posted by: Last Cast (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 07:52AM

Thanks! The wraps look great.
Dan

Re: Something different
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 08:30AM

Something a little different,new product available from Richards Rod and Reel. Leather strips, these are rather soft and very pliable they can be either glued to the blank {contact cement} directly or can be made into the old style foregrips used on heavy off shore rods, that is glued onto cork rings that you have preshaped, advantage over the oldr way is you have complete control over the length and diameter of the grips.I have only started with them but think they would add a little something to intermediate rods like Tarpon,Kingfish etc,maybe if Rich sees this he could add a little more info regarding them
John

Re: Something different/ leather
Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 07, 2001 10:19AM

Regarding the rodbuilder's leather strips, I've posted already quite a bit about this. You might want to check the archives about the idea and some specs.
We recently got it available to us from what we understand to be the most premium source of this type of waterproof leather, in the world.
It's not really new, but it is something of a unique idea less considered by custom builders, and might be worth a try to have a stand out rod. The stuff is used on rods up to offshore big game rods, and with modifications and preferences to be glued onto built up cork as desired. It is also placed direct on large diameter blanks.
It's available in perforated or nonperforated black strips.

If anyone is more interested in this leather grip material, please email me at info@rodreel.com.

Thanks,
Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: Something different/ leather
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 11:01AM

I use the same method st croix uses on the factory surf rods. heat shrink tubing at the top end, which you can actually wrap right up to with the butt wrap and it looks pretty good. if you don't burn it while shrinking,you can flex-coat right over it and it looks like it belongs. Two short peices of foam on the end of the reelseat, taper them how you like. and instead of a plastic cap on the butt end, I didn't want a gut-stabber, because this is a fairly light rod and the butt is only about 8" long. I used one of those foam lightbulb looking butts, I really like these.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster