I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Uses for live bait blanks
Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 09:29PM

Hi guys. I've just been revuing the threads on live bait blanks, especially since the latest issue of In Fisherman just arrived with an interesting article on catfish rods. After reading the article on the rod actions required for this type of fishing, I've been wonering if this type of blank would be suitable for this type of rod. I'm also wondering if these blanks are suitable for other styles of freshwater fishing. Some of the applications that come to mind are musky rods, flipping or pitching, trolling, etc. Has anyone used these blanks for freshwater applications? Bob Vasko

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uses for live bait blanks
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 09:45PM

Did not read the article but know that I have some live bait blanks that I use for casting plugs. They work fine for me and let me toss a light bait or lure but have some real backbone for pulling on the fish.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 05, 2001 10:05PM

Bob,
St. Croix has a series of blanks of SCI linear S-glass that are called the 'classic cat' series. They have a moderate action and are great lifting and larger line class freshwater big game rods. They cross very well into some musky applications like trolling or when a moderate action is desired such as for placing mid sized bucktail s pinnerbaits, or the smaller (say 6") musky crankbaits. Some 'experts' like the S Glass for colder weather for reasons they give better durability.
Another cross category for these blanks is for sturgeon, especially the 20 to 60 lb. class for lifting and fighting, especially going the route of a spiral wrap. I' m sure they are even good blanks for their intended 'classic cat' use in struggling with some hefty catfish.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 10:08PM

Bob, I live 70 miles from the Gulf Coast and about 10 miles from a major river. Therefore, sometimes I catfish in fresh water and sometimes I fish for gaftop catfish in saltwater. For this style of fishing, I use a 7 or 71/2 foot rod rated for 1/2 to 11/2 oz. I use cut shad in fresh water and shad, mullet, or squid in saltwater along with a one to two oz. weight. I have caught fish as heavy as 35 lbs. and had power to spare. I believe your are on the right track. I know of one man that caught a 60 lb. tarpon on a live bait blank. It took him 45 minutes to land it but the rod held up very well.

Posted by: Mark Herrling (206.239.48.---)
Date: December 06, 2001 09:01AM

Bob,

I have built several Lamiglas and Loomis live bait rods, including.

Lami: PLB901M, GLB108L
Loomis: L905, L904, L844

I use these rods for fishing for striped bass and bluefish, both in inlets, on jetties and beaches, and in rivers. I use bucktails and plugs mainly. Based on this experience, I believe there are some live bait models that would suit your needs in the musky and flipping/pitiching areas. For tossing bait to catfish, I'd probably stick to an s-glass or e-glass blank or a graphite blank with more parabolic action. The live bait blanks I've used have plenty of power in the butt but are also somewhat stiff in the upper 1/3 of the blank. The two exceptions to that are the L904 and the GLB 108 which have what I consider a more moderate fast action. I'd certainly suggest you do some ceiling poking with a few live bait blanks.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2001 07:45PM

Those Loomis L905, 904 and 844 are a bit misleading when they call them live bait blanks. Their tips are much too stiff compared to what most of us consider a good live bait action. They are great blanks, but do not have the quickness of tip or softness of tip to really be used as true live bait blanks.

I'd take a strong look at the Seeker CLB series. Best live bait blanks on the planet! Really light quick tips blending into a very powerful butt section and an outer wrap of graphite around the butt and mid sections to keep them smaller diameter and lighter. Great blanks.

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 06, 2001 09:09PM

The Article in In Fisherman (January 2002 Vol. 27 No. 1) is "Tip Rods for Catfish: The Best Catfish Rods Sometimes Have a Softer Side" by Steve Hofman mentions these rods:

Berkley E-Cats (discontinued)
St. Croix Classic Cats
Ugly Stik
Ugly Stik Tiger
Ugly Stik Big Water
South Bend Catfish Special
Berkley Reflex
HT Enterprises Ol' Whiskers Catfish System and Pro Series
Aurora's Pro Cat E-Glass
Quantum steelhead rods

The main point of the article is that a softer tip rod is good for the big cats. The article is well written and gives phone numbers for the manufacturers listed. Some mention is made of having higher quality components but he does not touch on having a custom rod made. I'd put my money on a St. Croix rod put together with good saltwater components.

These are conventional reel rods and probably would benefit from a roberts wrap too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster