I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

'Brick foam' reel seat arbors...
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 12:46AM

Another question for the great ones here.

I've been buying the ready made graphite 'foam' arbors for my reel seats. I've seen several posts referencing using 'brick foam' to make these yourself.

Is this the same stuff that florists use, THAT 'brick foam', or are we talking another animal altogether? I know it was explained in an old issue of Rodmaker, but I just started my subscription....(I really should get the back issues...)

And has anyone tried the two part expanding epoxy foam stuff (they sell it for making floating lure bodies) to make arbors? You could fill an entire reel seat with this stuff, then drill and ream it to fit like cork, and it's very lightweight and strong. Just a thought.

Thanks,

Buddy S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Brick foam' reel seat arbors...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 08:59AM

The arbors we mentioned in RodMaker are the ones supplied by both Fuji and Pac Bay. Clemens also used to sell the stuff in "stick" form and you could turn and size your own. Many times you see them listed as "graphite" arbors but that is a bit misleading. They are better, in fact, than true solid graphite arbors would be as they are almost as rigid but much, much lighter.

The florist type foam is not as rigid as these, but may be every bit as light or lighter. I suppose you could experiment with some but I don't think it is going to work as well. I also tend to remember that the florist stuff tends to break down over time.

I have heard of people using the expanding foam for making seat arbors, or just filling seat and then drilling it out. Good for them - always worth trying something new.

For me, the quickness and ease of use of the brick-foam arbors just outweighs anything else I am currently aware of. The strength and light weight they offer is the best of anything I have yet found.

Re: 'Brick foam' reel seat arbors...
Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (---.prodigy.net.mx)
Date: December 05, 2001 06:59PM

A couple of years ago I got a request for a special rod. I was asked to bu ild a 6.25' spinning bass rod for a physically impaired lady. She needed a rather large diameter grip and reel seat. For that I installed a H.A.P.S. #26 (1" I.D.) reel seat to a 7/16" O.D. blank. For this, I turned some EVA foam grip down to ID of the seat and cut it into rings. I glued the rings into place as you would apply masking tape and then pour the gaps full of epoxy holding the rod vertcally as I slid the seat on. It worked.

I never did continue to experiment with arbors. I build most of my rods on blanks of about 1/2" OD with #16 Reel seats and simply build up tape rings and fill with epoxy. Or I use exposed blank real seats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster