I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Rod Mentor
Posted by: Slim (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: July 04, 2001 12:02AM

Is there an online support group for dummies who would like to undertake the task of building a bamboo rod from scratch? I have read some of the most popular books on the subject but feel that I still have too many qustions to justify such an expendature. One major concern is the construction/ purchase of plaining forms. I also am concerned about purchasing quality bamboo. I live in Alberta, Canada, and access to builders for info is limited. What should I do??? Is there a game-plan I should follow?

Thanks for the advise.

Slim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Rod Mentor
Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: July 04, 2001 12:07AM

Slim,

www.canerod.com/rodmakers
On the opening page is a link "Join RM" You may join there, then decide later whether you want each individual message to come in directly as they are written, or receive the List as a daily digest. There are quite a few Canadian rodmakers, too. If you have any more questions drop me an e-mail off list.

web site
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2001 09:10PM

There is an ongoing bamboo message board site at the remains of the old 'The Bamboo Fly Rod Magazine'. The magazine is defunct, but the message board continues on. Could be a good place for you to get some answers. Try www.thebambooflyrod.com and go to the bamboo builders page.

Re: web site
Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: July 05, 2001 10:06PM

Last I checked there, no one had posted on the Bamboo Rodmaking BBS since March of 2000. One might still glean some good info from it, though.

Re: web site
Posted by: Rick Funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: July 06, 2001 11:58PM

Slim,
I made my forms of maple, since I'd heard that they can get you by for a handful of rods before the bigger investment for good steel forms. They worked great, the flats on my first rod are all within .004 of each other, no visible glue lines, and it casts like it's supposed to. Found the instructions for the forms thru rodmakers.org, I think, the website associated with that list; the list is great too.

Write back offline if you can't find these sites.

Re: Bamboo Rod Mentor
Posted by: Ron (---.cpr.ca)
Date: July 10, 2001 04:56PM

Slim:

There are a few Bamboo makers in the province. I managed to get a lot of help from the locals. I built my own metal planeing forms for under $75.00 and acquired all of my supplies locally in Calgary. Drop me a line if you have any questions.

...ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster