I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making your own Eva hood cover
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: June 04, 2023 11:35PM

curious if anyone has experience making their own Eva hood for a hidden thread reel seat, what is need and is it worth the amount work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making your own Eva hood cover
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-203-76.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2023 12:27PM

You need a way to shape the EVA like a lathe and then drill out the center evenly with a guided bit. The center ID hole needs to be a little tight to fit the barrel of the seat. The problem I ever have is getting a winding check to stay glued to the EVA where the blank goes through it at the end.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2023 02:51PM

Here is a pretty simple way to make an Eva fore grip hood sleeve. Basically take an Eva Fighting butt with a tenon. Slide a cork borer with an ID the same size as the OD of the tenon over the and cut the EVA to a depth that fits the tube of the hidden thread hood. Cut off the tenon and remove the EVA by picking it out. Square off and smooth the inside of the the hole using a round grinding stone attached to a portable drill. The tenon acts as a guide to keep the hole centered. Works very well with EVA/Winn grips, cork, and foam core carbon fiber premade fighting butts. You can certainly turn your own cork or EVA on a mandrel and then slip on a 20 mm foam arbor onto the mandrel and use it as your centering guide for the cork borer.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: June 06, 2023 10:10AM

A month ago I could’ve given you a seat with a EVA hood. I pulled it off of a broken rod. But, I took the EVA off to replace with cork.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: June 06, 2023 05:05PM

Brandon - We carry a number of EVA hood options for hidden hood applications - please reach out if you have any questions - info@voodoorods.com

[voodoorods.com]

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: June 07, 2023 06:57PM

I did make one with some custom EVA grips I just made. Turned the hood on a mandrel. Then used a 3 jaw chuck to hold it while using a Forstner bit in the tailstock to hollow it out. Have room for improvement if I did it again.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2023 10:08AM by Stan Daubinawski.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster