I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repairing a broken 9' pier and surf blank
Posted by: Jim Kinkennon (---)
Date: June 03, 2023 08:48PM

NOTE: Photos are now available at: Photos, Miscellaneous, Jim Kinkennon, starting at "rod repair 1" and transiting left.
Address of first pic: [www.rodbuilding.org]

While pier fishing in Panama City Beach, I experienced a blank fracture. I was fishing a 9' G1000 graphite spinning rod rated for approx. 1-3 oz. lure wt., using 20lb. braid loaded on a PENN 5500SS reel. I had already had wind knots. I was casting for Spanish mackerel, using a 2oz. egg sinker trailing a long fluorocarbon leader and a Clark spoon of light wt. My cast ended abruptly in a tangle of line, lure and a clean fracture 22 5/8" from the rod's tip ring. The Clark spoon was hooked into the rod tip. Probably a wind knot seized on a guide or the lure simply hooked the rod tip. Whatever, the rod broke.

When I got back from the fishing trip, I looked into a graphite insert to make a ferrule-type repair of the blank, without immediate success. I then found the tip section of an old fiberglass flyrod in the back of a closet. It fit into the broken tip section beautifully, so I trimmed about 6" of it off to use to line the fracture area and thus repair the broken rod blank. [www.rodbuilding.org] I cut out a circle in the butt cap and pulled the repair insert into the butt section of the blank using braided fishing line [www.rodbuilding.org]. I marked the repair insert where if exited the blank and removed it. It then fit nicely up to the mark in the tip section. I then used epoxy and glued the repair section into the butt section of the rod and set it aside to cure. The next day I applied epoxy to the tip section of the repair insert and glued the tip section back on the rod. [www.rodbuilding.org] After the epoxy cured I wrapped over the fracture with size D thread and finished over the wrap. [www.rodbuilding.org]

When cured, I took the repaired rod out for test casting. On the fifth test cast, the rod fractured cleanly through the site of the original fracture, right through the repair insert. I realized immediately that the fly rod blank used for the repair insert had never been rated for the stresses of casting a 2 oz. bank sinker in that position. It wasn't a bad idea, but it couldn't have worked.

I wasn't exactly back at square one, as I now had several inches of reinforcing material epoxied into the fracture area of the blank. What was one to do? In researching how to repair broken blanks, I had viewed a video on the internet made by Roland Martin, the famous TV angler. He recommended using a drill bit to salvage a broken rod, noting that the action wouldn't be as good, but the rod could be made usable. I decided to try that. Perhaps the repair insert could spread the stresses, and a drill bit could transmit stress from the tip section into the butt section without breaking or causing the blank to break. Using my drill index for my household power drill, I found that a 7/64" drill bit was the best size. It would fit into the fracture area, but not with even one round of masking tape or one layer of rod wrapping thread. I went to a big box home store and bought a two-card of 7/64" drill bits for about $6. I epoxied half of the drill bit into the re-broken tip section of the rod and set it aside to cure. [www.rodbuilding.org] When cured, I epoxied the other half of the drill bit projecting from the tip section into the butt section. [www.rodbuilding.org] [www.rodbuilding.org]

Now that the fracture was again repaired, I considered how to support the repair so it might be less likely to fail again. The rod had broken just below the third of six guides that had been in a modified COF setup. I decided to investigate converting the rod to a NGC setup, using the 27X method. Selecting a Daiwa 5000 BGSW spinning reel I had, I laid out a line down through the guides from the center of the reel spool shaft. By looking at a Fuji guide height chart, I found that by replacing the 50mm stripper guide with a 40mm, I would almost be there. I had a 40mm guide, so I removed the 50 and replaced it with the 40. I then removed the guides above the fracture (12mm, 10mm, 10mm). I wrapped the 12mm guide right over the fracture and added a 10mm guide toward the tip. [www.rodbuilding.org] There had been six guides, now there would be seven. The stripper guide was approx. 30 inches from the reel face, and I put the new 40mm guide in the same place the 50 had been. The choke point (approx. 71") would be the third of the three 10mm guides.

fr prev fr tip
guide inches size
1 5.00 5.00 10mm
2 5.43 10.43 10mm
3 5.90 16.33 10mm
4 6.41 22.75 12mm (site of fracture in blank)
5 8.25 31.00 20mm
6 11.75 42.75 30mm (this guide is just slightly large, but not too much)
7 13.5 56.25 40mm
reel face 30.00
total 86.25

Guides which had been added or moved were taped on and test cast. Results were excellent. Static test looked very good. Guides were then wrapped on and finished.
A hole had been cut in the butt cap to insert the fiberglass repair segment. A nickel coin was epoxied into the opening.
I already had all the additional guides needed. I used some finish, thread and epoxy.
Cash outlay was approx. $6 for a two-card of the needed drill bit.
The rod looks good and performs very well. Now, we'll see when we go fishing again if the repair holds together.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2023 09:04AM by Jim Kinkennon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repairing a broken 9' pier and surf blank
Posted by: Ross Pearson (67.3.17.---)
Date: June 03, 2023 09:19PM

An external sleeve as described here [www.rodbuilding.org] has worked for me.

Date: June 03, 2023 11:38PM

I just saw the article you referenced today. It's very interesting. It would be nice to have an appropriate engineer tell us about shear points and things like that. The internal repair has the advantage of being practically invisible, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better way. I don't know. I'm interested in how this repair holds up. One thing I didn't do was change the guides to a KW type, designed to shed flying loops from braid fishing line, which can cause problems that can break a blank. I didn't' want to put that much more money into a broken blank. We'll see, I guess.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 04, 2023 06:35AM

The internal method has the disadvantage of higher stresses since the diameter of the structural member is so small. The external sleeve method simply works; I've repaired numerous rods with it an had only one problem, a sleeve that I didn't epoxy well enough came loose. Regluing it solved the issue.

Theoretically both methods will slightly slow the recovery speed due to the added mass, but the users of the rods I've repaired have not reported it as a problem.

One rod, one I had made and had checked its CCS numbers when new, had the same numbers after repair.

Date: June 04, 2023 08:06AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The internal method has the disadvantage of higher
> stresses since the diameter of the structural
> member is so small. The external sleeve method
> simply works; I've repaired numerous rods with it
> an had only one problem, a sleeve that I didn't
> epoxy well enough came loose. Regluing it solved
> the issue.
>
> Theoretically both methods will slightly slow the
> recovery speed due to the added mass, but the
> users of the rods I've repaired have not reported
> it as a problem.
>
> One rod, one I had made and had checked its CCS
> numbers when new, had the same numbers after
> repair.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 04, 2023 08:08PM

Jim Kinkennon Wrote:
> I just saw the article you referenced today. It's
> very interesting. It would be nice to have an
> appropriate engineer tell us about shear points
> and things like that. The internal repair has the
> advantage of being practically invisible, but that
> doesn't necessarily mean it's a better way. I
> don't know. I'm interested in how this repair
> holds up. One thing I didn't do was change the
> guides to a KW type, designed to shed flying loops
> from braid fishing line, which can cause problems
> that can break a blank. I didn't' want to put
> that much more money into a broken blank. We'll
> see, I guess.

If that drill bit does not have the same flex as the blank, you will have a step function (shear point) at the ends of the bit. That is why in the method described in the library for repairing a graphite rod which says, I believe, to use Glass blank scrap since it flexes easier than graphite which compensates for a larger diameter, "Over Sleeve".

Date: June 04, 2023 08:33PM

Kerry Hansen Wrote:
> Jim Kinkennon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I just saw the article you referenced today.
> It's
> > very interesting. It would be nice to have an
> > appropriate engineer tell us about shear points
> > and things like that. The internal repair has
> the
> > advantage of being practically invisible, but
> that
> > doesn't necessarily mean it's a better way. I
> > don't know. I'm interested in how this repair
> > holds up. One thing I didn't do was change the
> > guides to a KW type, designed to shed flying
> loops
> > from braid fishing line, which can cause
> problems
> > that can break a blank. I didn't' want to put
> > that much more money into a broken blank.
> We'll
> > see, I guess.
>
>
> If that drill bit does not have the same flex as
> the blank, you will have a step function (shear
> point) at the ends of the bit. That is why in the
> method described in the library for repairing a
> graphite rod which says, I believe, to use Glass
> blank scrap since it flexes easier than graphite
> which compensates for a larger diameter, "Over
> Sleeve".

Thanks. It's going to be interesting to see how well and for how long this repair works.

Date: June 06, 2023 10:04PM

Before wrapping the guides on the repaired rod, I taped them on and test cast the blank 10 casts. After test casting I completed the wrapping and let it cure. I then took the rod out for final test casting. On the tenth cast, the repair failed. The drill bit snapped in half. Drill bits are not designed to flex, evidently, and this one couldn't take the stress.

What to do? Any further internal repair was not practicable, as the drill bit and internal sleeve were epoxied into the broken blank. Looking at the blank I had used for the internal repair segment, I cut the ferrule off and found that the blank would be a good source for an external repair sleeve. It may not be strong enough, but it's what I've got. I removed the guides and tiptop from the broken tip section of the rod, so I could pull it through the repair sleeve. I gradually cut the repair sleeve down to 4 inches in length, with what seems to be a good fit. Tomorrow, I plan to epoxy it together and set it aside to cure. Then I'll overwrap the repair, wrap on the guides and tiptop, and retest.

Date: June 07, 2023 10:12PM

Jim Kinkennon Wrote:
> Before wrapping the guides on the repaired rod, I
> taped them on and test cast the blank 10 casts.
> After test casting I completed the wrapping and
> let it cure. I then took the rod out for final
> test casting. On the tenth cast, the repair
> failed. The drill bit snapped in half. Drill
> bits are not designed to flex, evidently, and this
> one couldn't take the stress.
>
> What to do? Any further internal repair was not
> practicable, as the drill bit and internal sleeve
> were epoxied into the broken blank. Looking at
> the blank I had used for the internal repair
> segment, I cut the ferrule off and found that the
> blank would be a good source for an external
> repair sleeve. It may not be strong enough, but
> it's what I've got. I removed the guides and
> tiptop from the broken tip section of the rod, so
> I could pull it through the repair sleeve. I
> gradually cut the repair sleeve down to 4 inches
> in length, with what seems to be a good fit.
> Tomorrow, I plan to epoxy it together and set it
> aside to cure. Then I'll overwrap the repair,
> wrap on the guides and tiptop, and retest.

Sand taper the ends of the sleeve to aid the thread to climb up on sleeve. what are you using for the sleeve?

Date: June 07, 2023 10:33PM

I'm using a piece of the same flyrod blank used for the original internal repair segment, but bigger, from just above the ferrule. The taper is good, but wall thickness is only about 1/32". It may well not be strong enough, but the overwrap should help. Rather than trying to wrap from the blank up onto the repair sleeve, I'll probably just make a little ramp of finish epoxy when I finish the overwrap of the repair segment.

Date: June 08, 2023 02:34AM

Might work, but not how I have done numerous ones.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 08, 2023 08:30AM

Why not simply follow the procedure that has proven to work?

Date: June 08, 2023 09:09AM

It's a learning process. By experiencing what doesn't work, one learns to accept the value of what does.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 08, 2023 07:34PM

Breaking Bad! Lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster