I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning or bait caster?
Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: June 02, 2023 09:50PM

Spinning or bait caster to build rod for popper,ned rig,drop shot/wacky or hair jig 87 long 4 to 10 pound line lure weight 1/8 to 3/8 fast medium light blank what would be the way to go for reel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning or bait caster?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 02, 2023 10:41PM

Whatever you enjoy fishing the most, casting reels are more expensive to do the same job, but it's your dream, go with it.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: June 02, 2023 11:30PM

I use a spinning setup for those techniques. Baitcasters are overkill for those techniques, IMO.. But, as already stated, it's "your dream".

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 03, 2023 07:20AM

Unless you have the right reel and are very good with it, baitcasting 1/8 oz lures is quite a challenge. I would go spin to make it a "no brainer" to cast the light lures. I also think an aggressive cast with a backlash on 4 pound line might break the line. I know I'm not that good to go that way.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: June 03, 2023 08:05AM

Spinning, unless you want to torture yourself.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: June 03, 2023 11:42AM

Daiwa Alphas Sv TW 800s from Japan. Under 200 bucks to your door ais great for lighter presentations. Can get a Roro lightweight spool and throw lures to trout as well. Just be mindful that with casting gear, the rod plays a much larger role in casting than with a spinning setup.

What blank are you using?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2023 03:49PM

I am using a similar blank as described with a Shimano Curado DC and casting baits down to 1/16oz. The Digital Control helps stop the backlash and I can cast it farther than a spinning set up. If you already use bait casters it will not be a problem. It also sounds cool when you cast.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: June 04, 2023 10:01PM

What the others say. Spinning is less problem in the wind with light baits. I use spinning for 1/16 oz weights and a finesse worm. !/8 or more I use a baitcaster.

Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---)
Date: June 17, 2023 03:51PM

Spinning. I am a round reel lover, but when I jig or Ned rig for walleye it’s all about that ML rod with a spinning reel.

Unless you’re doing heavy inshore fishing, I highly recommend Daiwa tatula. ESP for lighter stuff. It’s rugged, can take a beating and is just as light as a Vanford.

Posted by: Jim Berry (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2023 07:44PM

Went spinning ips style reel seat with cork and the cork cover on the thread cover but have not tried it out on the water dog tested in the yard thing about yard and dog no license no limit no boat and she is always in season

Posted by: Tony Papazian (---)
Date: June 21, 2023 01:11AM

Spinning for sure unless you get into the BFS casting reels.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: June 21, 2023 08:25AM

99.999% of rods for those applications are spinning. Plan accordingly...

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (---)
Date: June 26, 2023 12:27PM

OIf you have one rod for it, spinning, if you have two a BFS setup would be cool and fun but I don’t think that’s the right place to start.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.60.---)
Date: June 26, 2023 04:54PM

If going BFS consider the Rainshadow IMMWS72ML-TC
Shad Raps / Lindy Rigging / Jigs / Slip Bobbers

7'2" 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 1 0.422 4.0 Fast 1.6oz. ML

More mod fast than fast, IMHO, works well as a BFS, friend of mine did one.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: June 26, 2023 07:16PM

The older Rainshadow Inshore Popping series are pretty fun blanks for BFS. They have ultralight to MH. Getting more fond of the softer graphite as I age. If you have good casting reels, try a roro bfs spool. I put one in my Zillion and it has become my go to light inshore with 10lb braid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster