I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Self Fabricated Spiral Wrapped Roller Guides
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 31, 2023 10:12PM

At the risk of boring all of you, please allow me to show (off) my latest creation; self-fabricated roller guides with pivoting feet. Admittedly, there are (a few) examples out there, but none suitable for spiral wrapping. This site introduced me to spiral wrapped rods and once I experienced the profound benefits, it is unlikely that I will ever produce a guides-on-top rod ever again. There is ONLY ONE company building roller guides for spiral wrapping = All American Roller Guides (AARG) and their product has profoundly proven itself as a winner. I have built 2 spiral tuna sticks employing AARG and their performance is over-the-top and an absolute pleasure / relief to use!
But I wanted even more = how about feet which move / pivot when the blank is under extreme flex? Many, if not most, roller manufactures incorporate some type of “foot flex” within the frame itself, but I have been intrigued with the few which offer pivoting feet which totally eliminates any work-hardening (= failure) of the frame material. Those basic designs have been around for a long time and have apparently worked adequately. They are also MUCH less expensive to produce. All said-and-done, the pivoting feet appeared to be the ultimate, pinnacle design.
With AARGuides already being a proven winner, I saw no need for changing the basic design; I just wanted the addition of pivoting feet (and an excuse to make chips on my mill). I contacted Steve and Lauri Gustlin, the owners of AARG, and they graciously gave me their blessing on proceeding. In fact, I purchased all the hardware (rollers, bushings, pins / barrel nuts, and screws) from them. I simply (although not very simple) machined the 7075 aluminum uprights and individual feet. (By the way, if you EVER see or hear a company using the terms “aircraft grade 6061” or “marine grade 6061” or the term “billet”, beware = it is ALL advertising @#$%&!!! 6061 is nothing more than a generic alloy which performs a multitude of tasks no more than adequately yet none exceptionally!!!!!! There are much better options / alloys when considering strength, formability or corrosion resistance!!! Sorry to vent, but it is a pet-peeve of mine).
Of course, the ultimate test will be in actual use on a 200lb tuna. While all may look good on the drafting board or viewing the assembled parts, actual performance is the goal. Depending on the replies here, I will keep you posted if my project is / was a brain-storm or brain-flatulence. One way or the other, I am proud of my project and confident it will prove to be a performer.
Maybe, this is enough to satisfy those who critique just how “custom” a particular build is.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Self Fabricated Spiral Wrapped Roller Guides
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: June 01, 2023 01:00AM

A job well done. Go get the BIG ONE!

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: June 01, 2023 04:43AM

Awesome! You are down with the sickness. I've been wanting to build a spiral yellowfin rod for a while now. Can you hook me up with those components and a build sheet?

Date: June 01, 2023 03:22PM

Phil,
Thanks. I am more confident with the endurance of the roller guides than my own physical endurance with an angry 200lb tuna hooked lol.
Mark,
Thanks to you as well. You are correct in that I may be a sick man; and I hope to never find a cure! This project was more of an excuse to “make chips” on my mill than anything else. Yes, I believe the pivoting feet are certainly an improvement of the original AARG rollers, but many might consider it splitting hairs; afterall, the AARG rollers have already proven to be a winner and I have 2 rods with them to prove the point. You will save A LOT of money and EVEN MORE time by just purchasing the originals from Steve and Laurie of AARG. However, if you are as sick as I am and H-bent on fabricating your own, I will gladly supply you with a copy of the drawings. I’ll have to mail it to you because it is drawn on 11 X 17 graph paper and I can’t scan it. Let me know.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 01, 2023 04:12PM

Hello Mark.

They look very nice, let us know what a 200# tuna does to them!

I would think if any problems emerge it will be stress fractures around the swivel mounting hinge hardware area.

If it shows no damage after the tuna test, try the 1000#+ marlin or shark test.

Whatever you do keep us informed, Thanks.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2023 04:21PM

Mark

Wow very nice! But I am curious, have you ever had any attention to detail???

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: June 01, 2023 05:42PM

Robert,
Thanks for the reply. While it would be logical to assume the “swivel mounting hinge hardware area” of the uprights and feet to be the most susceptible to “stress fractures”, I am not too concerned for a number of reasons; it is doubtful any of the guides will ever see 10lb of force; that force is not actually trying to rip the guide out; there are 2 swivel areas per guide = reducing the total force on each by half; the material used is 7075 T6511 which has a yield strength 2X that of 6061 and 3X of 304 or 316 stainless steel. But if they do fail, I agree with you where it will be.
I see no point in Marlin fishing; their table fare is quite poor and many are killed due simply to overexertion / anxiety which seems like a total waste to me. I also rarely eat fish which do not have scales (sharks). But I’d give it a go on a 1000lb BFT, although I’d have to travel to the upper East coast; ours here in SoCal rarely get over 350lb. But it really has nothing to do with the size of the fish but rather the drag capability / setting of the reel.
I genuinely appreciate your interest and will definitely keep you posted after the guides experience real-world battle.
John,
Thanks for your reply and compliment as well. To answer your question = no, never lol. As I often say, “there’s the wrong way to do something, and there is the correct way, but then there is my way”. I have become very proficient at finding a way of making a simple project much more difficult lol. It is just part of my charm, or possibly the lack thereof, depending on one’s perspective.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2023 04:19PM

That is innovation at its finest! Great work, can you post a picture of the spiral down the length of the rod? I am only using spiral wraps on all my baitcasters now for over 10 years and won't go back.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2023 04:21PM

That is innovation at its finest! Great work, can you post a picture of the spiral down the length of the rod? I am only using spiral wraps on all my baitcasters now for over 10 years and won't go back.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: June 03, 2023 07:33PM

Nice work - look forward to seeing the pic of the 200 Lb Tuna you land with these!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster