I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat
Posted by: Sam Kirk (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2023 09:05PM

Has anyone cut there reel seat? I never change the reel out on my rods. I noticed the threads are annoying. I would rather have my fingers on the Clark handle and now on plastic threat on the reel seat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: May 27, 2023 09:23PM

I don't, but it's not an uncommon practice to cut down the length of a reel seat. You just have to be careful to leave enough thread to lock down the reel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2023 09:35PM

You'll want to check this for the reel you'll use, but in general. most of the nylon type seats can lose 1/2 inch of their seat barrel threads and still easily expand enough to accommodate any reel foot.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: May 27, 2023 09:43PM

I’ll typically take 3/8 - 1/2” off the Alps TexTouch real seats for a more compact & streamline look - as mentioned just need to check to make sure you’re not going to be using a reel with an abnormally long foot

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 28, 2023 07:15AM

I have cut reel seats, but to hedge my bet I cut it to fit my reel with the longest foot, this way I can interchange all my reels if necessary.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 28, 2023 07:56AM

Could also use a hood to hide the threads. I too am not a fan of exposed threads especially on spinning rods so I always end up using a Fuji KDPS, SK2 hoods or equivalent.

Bait casting doesn’t bother me too much since I palm the reels and my hand never comes in contact with the threads.

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.140.---)
Date: May 28, 2023 09:57AM

Always, when I don’t plan on using a fore grip. A thread covering tube would be nice. Something loose that threads on the exposed thread and takes the place of a fore grip, also acting like a thread stop. Anyone put something like this out yet?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2023 11:35AM

You can certainly trim the threads back on your reel seat. If you are using a fixed fore grip you have to be very careful not to trim the threads too much so it inhibits placing the reel in the reel seat. You can also use a hidden thread hood with a foregrip sleeve. The tube of the hidden thread hood can also be cut back so as to use a fore grip sleeve of the size you like. Doing this will also involve the cutting back of the reel seat thread. Reel seats can be customized in a number of different ways.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 28, 2023 07:31PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The above picture shows how I make it so I can cut the thread barrel pretty short, and still allow putting on and taking off the reel.

I turn down the EVA nub, for the lack of a better term, to the same diameter of the thread barrel. That way the nut will pass over the nub so the seat will get wide enough to release at least one end of the reel's foot.

I do it the same way on both casting and spinning rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster