I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yet another “which blank” topic
Posted by: David Riesenbeck (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: May 23, 2023 06:08PM

Hey now guys.

So for LAKE sturgeon I use an ugly stick tiger 7’ for certain applications. I was just looking for a higher end blank. I know it’s not necessary, it’s just something I want.

I have a G Loomis 982c HSR for when I need to cast a longer distance, as I fish from shore. The tiger is for when I cast shorter distances. Reel is a calcutta 400b. I cast 3-5oz but don’t want a broomstick. I’d prefer the length to be 6’6” to 7’.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2023 06:14PM by David Riesenbeck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yet another “which blank” topic
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: May 23, 2023 09:47PM

Is there something limiting you from using the longer rod for all of your Sturgeon fishing? The Lake Sturgeon anglers I fished with in Minnesota never went less than eight feet and mostly preferred nine foot rods. They felt that they landed more fish in the current by setting a big sideways arc in a long rod and letting the fish tire itself against it. The guide boats in HellsCanyon all carry the long rods for white sturgeon.

Date: May 23, 2023 10:02PM

Yes. A really good sturgeon spot by me has so much brush right off the bank behind me that casting with an 8’ rod (or in my case a 8’2 or even 10’) is not impossible but rather uncomfortable. As it is I use a slip rig with a 12-18” leader hanging off the end of the rod. So I need 10’ of clearance in all reality to cast with a 8’ rod. But man is the spot worth it.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: May 24, 2023 09:06PM

Your situation is a fun example of the advantage of serious anglers building building their own rods. I’d want to stay on the moderate side of the action spectrum for a short sturgeon rod. Minnesota sized lake sturgeon rods can be lighter in power than those used in Wisconsin and especially for the giants of Ontario. A 7’ composite or the United Composites dual helix construction in moderate action seems to be the choice spectrum. The United Composites US70 Monster would be my initial choice. Cutting three inches off of Rod Geeks XC736 (XC735 in Minnesota) would likely work well. United Composites lists their RCE700 XH-S as moderate-fast. It’s probably a great choice for strength if you have some give in your line setup. A saltwater jigging blank of the right length/action/power would work well, but I didn’t see that nexus in the Black Hole or Rainshadow lines.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 25, 2023 12:31AM

I used a G Loomis Pelagic 20 and 30 lb. rod for your sized sturgeon in the past. The NFC Pelagic 704-1 I bet is very similar to the 30 lb. rod and good from 2 to 5 oz. if I remember right. Boat fishing, I used the lever drag Shimano TR-2000 Charter Special from shore I used my Quantum Cabo PT CBC 30 PT with 50 lb braid on each.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 25, 2023 11:13AM

If you're casting in close quarters as described above, the rod should be the length you stated and load easily, indicating the need for a mod to mod-fast action rod blank that will launch 3-5 oz. The next question would be: do you care how heavy the rod is? If not, the Jig/Boat model RCJB78MH would "feel" awesome for that application, but it is an 8oz. rod blank due to it's hybrid graphite/glass construction. You could also go with an RCKJB vertical jigging model in 7', but that might be too moderate an action for your liking.
In the graphite realm, the RX4 model SWS70MH (4.4oz) or the RX7 model SW968 (or new SW969 coming soon) with a foot cut off the butt would be good options. You can always call us and chat about the specifics also.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: May 28, 2023 10:34PM

I’d like a medium or medium heavy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster