I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy over factory woven graphite cores
Posted by: Dean Veltman (181.215.172.---)
Date: May 18, 2023 10:04PM

I have always applied rod finish over the factory woven graphite grips. Has anyone else had the epoxy go on fine and then put it in the drying box and it develop HUGE bubbles by epoxy standards? This is a first. I have done it this way for awhile and this has never happened before. Thankfully, it sands down pretty good and can apply the urethane still, a few minor imperfections. It did this twice in a row.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy over factory woven graphite cores
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: May 19, 2023 08:22AM

Dean -

No, I have not had that happen....especially if the epoxy went on bubble-free. Spitball: Maybe the CF material was not wetted out completely when it was made and had more air-spaces within the fibers? I've not experienced the sudden appearance of bubbles on a CF grip. At any rate, as you mentioned, it is relatively easy to sand down.

Something changed from your previously successful attempts....or else you would get the same results, right?.

What are your thoughts on what changed?

Posted by: Dean Veltman (92.119.18.---)
Date: May 19, 2023 01:24PM

I did switch to a different brand of epoxy, I will need to look when I get home and see what my epoxies are (gong through older epoxy first). This batch of grips was NFC and most of my previous ones were CFX, so could be a reaction there. But, unfortunately that is 2 variables to sort out.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (193.43.135.---)
Date: May 19, 2023 01:25PM

Posted by: Dean Veltman (92.119.18.---)
Date: May 19, 2023 01:28PM

Epoxy was nice and smooth, then after turning for awhile, big, huge bubbles. Used heat to try and pop them, but they would return. Definitely bubbles, I think this picture was after I tried to pop them with heat or a needle.

It all worked out, just never had this happen before.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 19, 2023 01:39PM

Pretty scary. Whats the Xmas lights for?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2023 02:48PM

Looks you got it hot. No need to heat epoxy. Let it do what it was designed to do.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (45.14.195.---)
Date: May 19, 2023 04:17PM

Maybe got too hot, but every grip and rod I have built has been dried in that exact box with the Christmas tree lights. It usually brings temps
up to the 70-80 range. My shop is usually around 60-65 except in the summer when it is whatever Michigan summer weather dictates.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2023 04:34PM

Bubbles are air in the grip and/or the finish. When heated, the air expands. If it happens early enough in the process, those bubbles usually escape. A little later when the epoxy has already reached a certain stage in the setting process, the bubbles may still escape but the epoxy will not flow back into position. Maybe you had a timing issue on this one or more trapped air than usual.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 20, 2023 12:29PM

Is it a bad idea to apply PG instead of epoxy on these grips?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2023 03:08PM

I only use PG on these foam core carbon fiber grips. Tried epoxy once and didn’t like it. So, for me I will use PG or no coating at all.
Norm

Posted by: Dean Veltman (45.14.195.---)
Date: May 20, 2023 04:01PM

I tried a few with no coating and did not like that. The texture holds grime pretty good.

My first ones I did with just PG. They were fine but do not pop like the epoxy and PG. PG does
not fill in the texture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster