I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

XO Skeleton Carbon Grip
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2023 11:41PM

We combined one of our popular rear grip shapes with a carbon reel seat! The result? A seamless rear grip with a reel seat, that is incredibly comfortable, lightweight, and DOES NOT require the blank to go to the end of the grip. All the glue surface that you need is in the reel-seat area, so the remainder of the grip is hollow, with nothing inside, (Thats why we call it the XO Skeleton, as there is nothing inside!) Don’t worry, the breaking strength of the grip is 59lbs – and what this means is that it is impossible to break without the help of some heavy machinery. No arbors means less weight, and more sensitivity.

For those looking for more stats:

Grip Length Spinning: 15.5"

Grip Length Casting: 14.5"

Grip Weight: 30grams

Tube Diameter (at reel seat) 14.7m

Finish: Matte, Smooth

Sold only as a kit (locking nut and EVA cap)

[northforkcomposites.com]

Thanks for looking!
Aleks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: XO Skeleton Carbon Grip
Date: May 17, 2023 11:48PM

Here’s a few more shots:

Date: May 17, 2023 11:50PM

One more:

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2023 06:51AM

I got something about this in my e mail the other day. Very cool looking, and definitely something I'd consider using, but I do have some questions.

The first one is probably self explanatory, but just to be sure. The lengths given are end to end lengths,, correct?

Second question. What size reel seat would the reel seat portion of the grips correspond with? 16? 17? ....

Third question. Is there a special arbor that comes with the grip, or is it a build your own, or use a polyurethane arbor? And would a standard polyurethane arbor be crush resistant enough to withstand the amount of pressure that type of grip blank connection is going to see?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2023 12:18PM

With a little creative thinking, these handles open up a wide range of possibilities. They will also allow you to obtain a faster action from any rod blank than the blank itself possesses.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2023 01:28PM

They would certainly give any rod a very unique look. With a 14.7 ID at the reel seat end you should be able to shim it in place with a full length size16 polyurethane foam arbor which has an OD of about 15 mm. I’ll probably order one of each to give them a try.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 18, 2023 03:12PM

I love the way the look. Still need confirmation on the length. 15" from the front of the reel seat or the base. Its a bit too long for my type of fishing if the rear grip is 15"

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: May 18, 2023 04:46PM

From NFC web sight, "Full Rear Grip Length – 15.5 Inches from Reel Seat to EVA Cap, ID of Barrel at Reel Seat: 14.7mm, Weight: 30 grams (without EVA cap and locking nut) "
Looking at the photo's it looks like the handle is 15" then the reel seat.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2023 05:35PM

Mark Brassett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love the way the look. Still need confirmation
> on the length. 15" from the front of the reel
> seat or the base. Its a bit too long for my type
> of fishing if the rear grip is 15"

15 inches from the front of the seat (so the total includes the seat) is a more realistic and usable length for most fresh and light saltwater use. However, if the 15 inches is from the rear of the seat, there is a way to shorten things. I'll stand down on that until we find out the actual overall length.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 18, 2023 05:37PM

Yes you can definitely come up with some unique combinations using different blank lengths.

My interpretation of their wording is that the reel seat is included in the length. They call the entire thing a "grip" That's why I said it was probably self explanatory in my initial post. So for the casting grip, assuming the length of what would be considered the reel seat, is the same length as a size 16 Fuji TCSD reel seat, 4.5", that would make what would generally be referred to as the rear grip, 10" long. That would be a usable length for 7' - 7' 6" rods for me personally.

I just can't see it being any other way. NFC understands the market for this kind of product. And they've surely went to great expense in the design and making of them. They're not going to make something that people won't buy. They're better than that.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 18, 2023 07:13PM

How does one go about installing it? Kinda hard to know what you're thinking NFC. How about some fundamental installation instructions for some of us who may be less intuitive?

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: May 18, 2023 07:23PM

The soft touch are offered in 9.5 and 14.5, so it could easily be either. They certainly look long

Date: May 19, 2023 12:39PM

Hi Everyone,

14.5 and 15.5 are the total length of the grip + reel seat.

Lynn,

There is a lot you can do.

If the blank diameter is about 13.5-14.5mm you don't need an arbor. Add glue to the last three inches of the blank, and insert it just past the reel seat area.

If the blank diameter is small enough, you can insert it all the way to the butt of the grip, anchor it in the EVA cap, add an arbor at the bottom if you wish, and add one at the top of the grip under the reel seat.

The point is that you can put the blank all the way though, or you don't have to. The grip is stiff enough to take 59lbs of vertical deadlift at the reel seat.

By removing, or not using the last foot or so of the blank, you save the weight, but don't lose any power, as there is no flex in the grip.

Best,
Aleks

Posted by: Dean Veltman (92.119.18.---)
Date: May 19, 2023 01:30PM

If the blank does not extend to the back, the rod weight will be lighter than other building techniques but will balance be off because of much less weight behind the reel seat?

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: May 19, 2023 02:55PM

Aleks Maslov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Everyone,
>
> 14.5 and 15.5 are the total length of the grip +
> reel seat.
>
> Lynn,
>
> There is a lot you can do.
>
> If the blank diameter is about 13.5-14.5mm you
> don't need an arbor. Add glue to the last three
> inches of the blank, and insert it just past the
> reel seat area.
>
> If the blank diameter is small enough, you can
> insert it all the way to the butt of the grip,
> anchor it in the EVA cap, add an arbor at the
> bottom if you wish, and add one at the top of the
> grip under the reel seat.
>
> The point is that you can put the blank all the
> way though, or you don't have to. The grip is
> stiff enough to take 59lbs of vertical deadlift at
> the reel seat.
>
> By removing, or not using the last foot or so of
> the blank, you save the weight, but don't lose any
> power, as there is no flex in the grip.
>
> Best,
> Aleks

It only takes 9lbs on the tip end of a 7 foot rod to generate 59 lbs at the reel seat. So lifting 59 lbs just with the handle generates the same force on the handle as lifting about 9 pounds from the rod tip on a 7 foot rod does on the handle. Have any break tests been done with the handle and blank together or just with the handle itself? I do like these but want to make sure they are not overcome when used on 7 to 8 foot rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster