I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G.Loomis Remodel Advice - GL3 CR 722 Fast
Posted by: Joe Boenish (207.71.136.---)
Date: May 10, 2023 04:36PM

Hi all, looking for some advice on what to do with an old Loomis I have sitting in the basement.

It's on old GL3 CR 722 Fast, rated for 1/4 - 5/8 oz. I bought this years ago with one of my first paychecks earned as a cashier at a local fishing shop. The problem is I never really enjoyed the grip layout or the short 6' profile so I never use it anymore.

I would like to strip this rod down to the blank and start over with an updated grip layout and fresh set of micro guides.

That being said, what type of lures would you guys use on a blank like this? I'm so used to 7'+ rods now that I'm not even sure what I'd throw with a 6' rod.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G.Loomis Remodel Advice - GL3 CR 722 Fast
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 11, 2023 02:29AM

20+ years ago that was a fairly popular rod for surface lures, lighter spinnerbaits, grubs and small worms in the cleaner waters out west with 8 - 10 lb. line, I also liked it for Red Fins, Long A's and Rapalas. Mine had an 8 inch rear grip which I thought was about right for that length and lure used. It was made in all the G Loomis carbons just to show you how popular it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2023 02:31AM by Spencer Phipps.

Re: G.Loomis Remodel Advice - GL3 CR 722 Fast
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 11, 2023 10:58PM

Joe,
You can use the rod for anything you like.

That rod model has literally caught hundreds of thousands of fish over the years, with virtually any lure that is available that the rod will handle.

A good rod indeed.

Best wishes

p.s.

Don't get caught in the rod pigeon hole rat hole.

Just because some one recommends a particular rod with a particular lure or bait - for a particular time of the day -- don't necessarily believe it.

Just go out to the fishing hole and bring along a dozen rods and 30 different baits. Use every bait on every rod and see how many you end up - with on what specific rod/lure/ bait combo.

I think you will find the results eye opening.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster