I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Paint an old blank
Posted by: Sam Kirk (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 05:53PM

I had an old spinning rod . It was a Fenwick graphite 6'_6" blank. I removed the reel seat ,grips,guides and hook holder. Now I want to restore the blank. What paint do I use spray paint or brush? How do I prep the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint an old blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2023 07:10PM

There are several ways to do this, some better than others.

Are you looking for a newly refreshed factory color finish? If you may be down to simply getting a can of enamel in the color you want and hitting the blank with it. I would spray rather than brush. Some will go overboard and clear coat over the color but I think end up in a situation of diminishing returns.

Or, you could use somethink like PermaGloss to just clear coat the natural charcoal color of the blank.

Do a search on this forum for "blank refinishing" and you'll likely turn up a hundred pages of variations on how to do it.

Date: May 09, 2023 08:51PM

I have clear coat and spray paint plus paint in a can. I didn't know if there was anything special. Thank you.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: May 09, 2023 10:00PM

Does the blank have any deep scratches?

For a factory finish ...I'd try sanding the blank smooth if there are any light scratches and whatnot, fine wet and dry, then compound and wash.

Then brush on a 4 to 1 mix of terps and epoxy finish

Let it rest in a dust free room untill it cures.

That said i did a cheapo rod, sanded it smooth and gave it a coat of black satan paint, rattle can, some 25 years ago, still holds up.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2023 10:03PM by Josh Bryan.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 10, 2023 12:41AM

Sam,
Funny thing is that no “after the fact” coatings seems to hold-up as well as a factory finish. It has been frustrating to me to not be able to discover the absolute, ultimate answer. It is pretty much accepted that the manufacturers utilize a “squeegee-diaphragm” of sorts to coat their blanks, either clear or color. But a factory finish simply seems to be more durable / scratch-resistant than what is available / performable to the rest of us. While PG may be the best available clear coat available, it is not as “bullet-proof” as many suggest. A HIGH QUALITY, 2-part automotive paint (with flex additive) sprayed by a reputable automotive body shop may be your best avenue to pursue; but then, you’ll need to afford them with a proper method of holding / spinning the blank. Next best solution is a rattle-can, 2-part paint such as “Spray Max” which is available in custom colors or clear-coat; it is certainly not cheap, but may suit your purpose. Good luck!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 10, 2023 06:18PM

I sprayed my blank two times and gave it one coat of clear and it turned out very nice. Thank you for the guidance

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2023 07:17PM

Glad to hear it. The old Fenwick rods are good products.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster