I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Have you ever used blue UV light, and does it work for you?
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.csby.or.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:01PM

Has anybody ever tried using an epoxy that dries with blue UV light, and if so did it dry too hard or crack while under fishing stress and what is the name of the epoxy that works for you?

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2023 07:03PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have you ever used blue UV light, and does it work for you?
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:11PM

I have used it, but not for rod building. I don’t think it would do well for securing guides as it’s too brittle. I use Gen4 for thread finish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:28PM

Swifty's Diamondite UV setting finish was a sponsor 14-15 years ago, it had its problems also.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:52PM

The major problem with the UV finishes is that they continue curing forever. They get harder and harder and harder as the time goes by and they are exposed to sunlight.

Some years have gone by and the newer products may be better, but I'm not seeing anything along those lines that really has any advantage whatsoever over our current epoxy wrap finishes.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 11:57PM

Glen,
Thanks for the post = very interesting. Through my exposure to the composite industry, I am certainly aware of UV curing epoxies, but have admittedly no hands-on experience. It is my understanding that UV cure epoxies are geared more to accommodate very large-scale projects like America’s Cup boats, aircraft, ect with very time-consuming lay-up procedures which prohibit the typical timed heat-cure methods. As others replying have mentioned, I see no advantages for usage in the rod building industry.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 11:52AM

I been using UV resin for about a year now. I primarily bought it for lure making initially.
I also purchased what called a UV torch. Its just a high powered UV flashlight.

Eventually I started using it sparingly on rods...just to hold something in place immediately.
It's not epoxy...but you can glue something right that second...literally it just takes seconds.

One example...
With the fiberglass drywall tape...I will use a dab of UV resin to hold it down in place....then apply the epoxy.
I have also used it when I needed to add a hook keeper to an existing cross wrap.(just to seat it)

I've seen where people use it as a lure finish...but I would not use it on thread.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 09, 2023 12:22PM

Hello Glenn.

Yes, there was a guy named Ken Preston, lived down the road from me in New Bern NC.

He made a lot of progress with it but never beat all the different problems with it before he died (I miss him, he was a good guy).

If you go to the search and put in his name and "ALL Dates" you should find a lot on him.

Hope this is helpful.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 02:52PM

Chris,
Point / example well taken.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster