I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Speed control went out
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 09, 2023 02:10PM

Need some help here. I have a Pac Bay power wrapper, and the speed control went bad on it. I bypassed it so I could still use the wrapper to turn some cork grips I was making, but I'd really like to have a working speed control when time to apply finish to some rods I'll be building as soon as my blanks from NFC get here.

I ordered one from a supplier, but it seems they don't have it in stock. Nor do any of several other suppliers I looked at. It seems that even Pac Bay doesn't have them in stock at their facility. At least that's what I've been told. So ..... I need to build one, or buy one that will do what I want it to do. So a couple of questions .....

Can I just buy a speed control that my wrapper would plug into, and use it as a speed control while wrapping and applying finish? I'm thinking sure, why not? Or, how difficult is it to build one that I could wire in place of the speed control that was once there? I have no idea what kind of components I'd need to do such a thing, so I'd need to know which components I'd need to build one.

Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

I gotta be honest. If buying a speed control I can just plug my wrapper into would work as I suspect it would. I'd rather go that route.

Anyhow .... HELP !!! LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speed control went out
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 02:26PM

David, you can easily make your own controller, or buy one for $25 or so off of any number of suppliers. All you're doing is controlling the voltage to the motor, assuming it's a DC motor. If AC, then the controller controls the frequency. Get a VSD controller and it'll work on ac or dc motors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2023 02:47PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 09, 2023 02:36PM

Hello David.

I'm near useless with electrical stuff, but I'm sure Roger Wilson will see this thread and help you out.

Good Luck.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 02:45PM

David,
With all due respect to Daryl, I do not know of his electronics capabilities. However, I am very aware of Roger Wilson’s abilities and have employed his electrical knowledge on a number of occasions; he is a retired EE and very willing to help. Consider consulting Roger as he has built many rod lathes and curing drums. No criticism or offense intended to Daryl.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 02:51PM

Anyones speed control would work, they all have the same hp motor.

Date: May 09, 2023 06:08PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. And yeah, I figured Roger would be the one to get the scoop from.

Daryl. VFDs are the controllers that control the frequency on an AC motor, we use those at work for the industrial air handling units we build. And yeah, I figured one of the more generic controllers would work. Was just looking for confirmation.

Spencer, I considered that. The Alps power wrapper looks identical to mine, so I looked for a controller for that unit. I couldn't find a speed controller listed on any of the suppliers I usually use. But I just tried something. I did a Yahoo search for speed control for rod wrapping macine. Sure enough it provided a link to Get Bit.

Now here's what's interesting. Get Bit is one of the first places I looked because they carry Alps products. Get Bit doesn't list the part on any of the pages with wrapper parts on them. But this link took me right to the page to order the speed control. I checked and Get Bit's product code matches that of the Batson web site. Get Bit shows them in stock, ready to ship, so I'm going to order 2.

Two, because I figure it's a good idea to have a spare. And two, because I don't want the cost of shipping to be higher than the amount of product I order. LOL

Anyhow ,,,,, thanks again guys. Every single reply is greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2023 06:10PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 10:26PM

David,

If you have the Pac Bay wrapper with the AC 5000 rpm motor, the foot pedal that is much like a sewing machine foot pedal and a controller with a dial on it that is mounted into the bed of the machine, - your speed controller is an SCR basic speed controller.

The initials SCR stands for Silicon Controlled Rectifier - which is the semi conductor that cuts off part of the AC voltage wave form, depending on the setting of the dial on the wrapper bed.

If you want to replace it, you can use any of these AC router controls that are sold as Carpenter type ac routers.

[www.amazon.com]

This one in particular is inexpensive and will work just fine.
Plug the controller into the wall outlet and plug the ac motor into the controller.

--------------------------------
In addition, if you want to really help your machine, you could swap the current foot pedal with an electronic foot pedal that is routinely used on Ac motor based carving tools similar to a dremel tool.
In particular the Foredom foot pedal.

These are excellent foot pedals with a very long service life.

[www.amazon.com]

-------------------------
So to use the equipment:
Plug the speed controller into the 110v AC wall plug.
Plug the Foredom foot pedal into the speed controller.
Plug the wrapper motor into the foot pedal

Go wrapping with excellent speed control and a very long service life.

Best wishes

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 10, 2023 09:34AM

David,
If you want a unit that will just drop into your current unit --- assuming that the size is the same as the current one -
This one will do the job and is very inexpensive.

--------------------------

[www.homedepot.com]

This is $12 at your local Home Depot.

Best wishes

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: May 10, 2023 10:20AM

Roger,
If replacing a motor, is it worth going DC? Had some hurricane salt infusion in mine, and waiting for the death.

Thanks

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: May 10, 2023 11:42AM

David, I know what it is, but I appreciate you repeating it for me.

Oh, and my sincerest apologies to a couple of you. I didn’t realize I needed to post my resume, (retired IE/CPA/MBA, not that it should matter) or be an EE to post about a gadget that’s as simple as a light switch, but I appreciate you letting me know. I’ll make sure I refrain from posting about such complicated matters in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2023 04:54PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 10, 2023 04:08PM

All the components on my Pac Bay wrapper are YDK components, foot control, motor, etc. they all seem to be readily available online, and inexpensive. The foot control is YC50N and has a 1.0 amp rating. I used it temporarily to finish a rod when my CPW pedal went, the CPW pedal is 1.5 amp rated so I went back to a higher rated controller instead of keeping it on there.

Date: May 10, 2023 05:06PM

Roger, thank you for your response, and the links you provided. They are very much appreciated. I knew you'd have the skinny on what I needed. But as I said in my prior post. I was able to find an Alps speed control and for a surprisingly low price. $4.15 ea. That's why I ordered two, lol But once again, thank you very much for your responses.

Spencer, it was no problem finding wrapping motors or foot pedals. But that dang dial speed control was a different story.

And Daryl, I appreciate you appreciating my response. I think it's a first !!!

Date: May 13, 2023 04:30PM

Big thank you to Get Bit for their fast shipping. New speed control is in and up and running. Slightly different than the Pac Bay control in appearance. And it's probably just in my mind, but it seems a little more responsive at start up than the Pac Bay unit.

Now I just need to get my blanks.

Thanks again to everyone that responded. The responses are much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster