I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn grip issues
Posted by: Bruce Creel (---.sip.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2023 11:58AM

I built a matching set of rods for specs and red fish using Winn split grips. One casting and one spinning. Broke the casting and want to rebuild it to complete the set. The problem is the spinning rod handles have started to breakdown and the color is completely coming off all over my hands. I have tried rubbing with alcohol but after it dries when you pick it up again it continues to stain your hands. I don’t want to spend the money and build another rod that has that problem. Existing rod is about two years old. It stays in an unconditioned store room out of the sun. Anyone else have this problem and also a possible fix for the existing handles. Some kind of tape or wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn grip issues
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 07, 2023 12:43PM

Bruce,
This has been known on this site shortly after they came out, before that it was known from like golf grip designs. I have never used any for these very reasons. It is simply skinned EVA grips, and it is not the EVA that fails from what I understand, except for one instance I know of, a gentleman used a set on a saltwater rod and laid the blank on the rail to fight a fish, that grip was blown out fairly shortly after.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: May 07, 2023 01:31PM

I have never heard a single good thing about winn grips. An easy fix is heat shrink wraps. You can get them different colors and designs.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.63.---)
Date: May 07, 2023 05:16PM

Winn grips are sensitive to Deet and possibly other chemicals. I have built a number of rods with Winns, some quite a few years old, and they are like new. I don't use Deet or other stuff like that.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: May 07, 2023 06:57PM

I was thinking the same thing Michael is saying. I haven’t use the winn grips, but the old Shimano Stradic FI grips would break down they would say it was because of sunscreen.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 09, 2023 12:25AM

Wow, I was tempted for a while to use them from hearing all the wonderful comments about them, now I am glad I didn't.

Posted by: John Nesse (24.118.138.---)
Date: May 09, 2023 10:03AM

Wynn had a bad batch of Perfect Fit grips maybe a year ago. The grip would flake off right out of the package with any friction. I discovered this while reaming it for installation. I had the same issue with grips purchased from three different suppliers in the same time period. All accepted them back for a refund.

Prior to that, I built at least six rods with Wynn grips over the past three or four years. Most of these were for personal use, and I haven’t experienced any issues whatsoever with them. They’ve been great! I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again; I’d only give them a quick check by applying some friction to the grip to make sure it isn’t one of the bad ones. If it’s bad, it will flake off immediately.

I can attest to the fact that Wynn grips can last for at least four years under regular use. Since those rods still look new when I clean the grip, I’d be willing to bet I’ll get many, many more years out of them.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2023 10:18AM

Winn grips are comfortable and look good when new, but they do wear out and begin to look awful with heavy use. I will never use Winn grips again due to their lack of durability. I do have a friend that loves Winn Grips, when he wears one out he has me replace it.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2023 11:37AM

I used Winn golf grips when they first came out and found that they did not last very long, so I assumed their rod grips would be the same. I have only used them on a couple of rods because of this. If they are to be heavily fished then I would suggest not to use them.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: May 09, 2023 11:46AM

I love the Winn Grip overwraps , those have been awesome on some of my surf rods and have held up great even after multiple years of heavy use . I figured a 96" overwrap is about $20.00 so I decided to try it, no big loss if it didn't work out but it has worked out great . Sometimes you just got to try things for yourself and go against the grain .

Now if the cost was considerably more I would of stayed with my normal preferred surf rod handle material but risk vs reward payed off big.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 03:46PM

John Nesse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wynn had a bad batch of Perfect Fit grips maybe a
> year ago. The grip would flake off right out of
> the package with any friction. I discovered this
> while reaming it for installation. I had the same
> issue with grips purchased from three different
> suppliers in the same time period. All accepted
> them back for a refund.
>
> Prior to that, I built at least six rods with Wynn
> grips over the past three or four years. Most of
> these were for personal use, and I haven’t
> experienced any issues whatsoever with them.
> They’ve been great! I wouldn’t hesitate to
> use them again; I’d only give them a quick check
> by applying some friction to the grip to make sure
> it isn’t one of the bad ones. If it’s bad, it
> will flake off immediately.
>
> I can attest to the fact that Wynn grips can last
> for at least four years under regular use. Since
> those rods still look new when I clean the grip,
> I’d be willing to bet I’ll get many, many more
> years out of them.

I wouldn’t call it a bad batch. It happen on all Winn grips no matter what brand of rods they’re used on. I’ve repaired countless Lew’s and Castaway rods using Winn grips and repaired many of the grips sold to rodbuilders. I sell them in my store to other builders if they choose to use them but I Will not build another rod with them and once my stock is depleted I won’t be reordering.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.63.---)
Date: May 09, 2023 07:07PM

Interesting set of posts: Winn Grips are either the best thing since sliced bread or the product of the devil.

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: May 10, 2023 03:20PM

Lance, I disagree. I could literally rub the rubberized grip off these things right out of the box. That's absolutely not the case with the ones I have on my rods. There was a bad batch that was very notably different from the rest.

Keep in mind that I am referring to the Perfect Fit Winn grips, which are black and have a small pattern on them. I don't have any of the colored ones with the dimpled finish.

I'm using these on medium-light freshwater spinning rods, and the grips on that style of rod doesn't get abused by any stretch, but they've been good for me. I was loading the boat last night and this conversation came to mind. I looked at the grips on four rods and while you can tell they are used (might have just been dirt) not one of them has a noticeable blemish in the grip finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster