I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I experimented with not using CP
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: May 03, 2023 11:04PM

Here is the result. Frankly, I figured it would darken more than it did. The thread is Fuji Ultra Poly in Goldenrod and the metallic is ProWrap in Gold Leaf, IIRC (had it for awhile). You can see the original color on the spool for comparison. I'm not crazy in love with the final color, but I'm glad I conducted the experiment. Besides, if I decide I don't care for it, I can always re-do them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

edit: This is with two coats of Gen4.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2023 06:38AM by Daryl Ferguson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I experimented with not using CP
Posted by: Josh Bryan (---.perth-ix.com)
Date: May 04, 2023 04:11AM

Is that a regular thread, not NCP?

Date: May 04, 2023 06:38AM

It’s Fuji Ultra Poly thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2023 07:02AM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 04, 2023 06:44AM

One can get some interesting colors by using regular nylon thread and no CP. For example, garnet turns into a color resembling ripe sweet cherries. Only way to know is to try them. I have not done this with poly thread, so cannot knowledgeably comment on what happens with it.

Some builders never use CP with regular nylon thread. I like CP in order to retain the brighter colors and the nice sheen of regular threads.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: May 04, 2023 03:32PM

The color will be very impacted by the color underneath. Will look different on a black blank vs white - and then consider the guide foot color.

One thing to try - wrap in silver metallic (and if using size A poly perhaps do a light coat of epoxy) and then wrap the color thread, give a consistent color, no guide foot to be seen, and you get the benefit of the translucent depth

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 04, 2023 03:56PM

Silver metallic under wrap enhances the actual thread color. Especially orange and yellow. You can also use PG on the under wrap. It allows the over wrap to slide easily when packing.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 04, 2023 04:01PM

I tried CP once, and maybe it was the brand that I used, I used ( U- 40 ) but I found that it dulled the sheen of regular nylon thread. I actually like the color change and the richness of color that finish over regular thread affords. I've stumbled on to some beautiful colors because of it. I usually buy a couple of different shades of thread so I can do a practice wrap to see how it looks.

I may be forced to use CP again in the future because I have some thread colors that look great on the spool, but look not so good when it changes color because of finish and the background it's on.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 04, 2023 06:20PM

Copy that David.

I will not use CP on a rod, unless it is specifically requested by the client.

I prefer using NON ncp thread - with no separate coating.

I very much like the semi translucent and darker colors obtained with plain thread and no CP.

Best wishes

Date: May 04, 2023 06:23PM

Re: Black Guide Foot

Had I known for certain I was going to go with a non-preserver thread, I would have gone for the stainless in lieu of the black. The dark foot definitely detracts, IMO.

Also, I'm intrigued with silver metallic suggestion. I think I may do a wrap on my practice blank to see how it looks.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: May 04, 2023 09:12PM

I’m with Roger in not using CP or pre-coated thread. I select dark thread colors as most look nice after being wetted out with epoxy. I also consider that some of the blank color may show through. This actually allows for quite a bit of artistic license. A little VooDoo Dust pigment can add even more. Ultra Poly in maroon and blue dunn are both great without CP. They are are classic rod building colors, too. I think maroon especially looks right on raw carbon without edge bands. I feel that lighter colored CP wraps visually pop, sort of like whitewall tires do, and that this requires more thread work details to look right. To my eyes the dark, untreated colors balance out visually with little to no trim work. I don’t find trim bands or features like single wraps hard to do, I’ve just gotten use to simpler aesthetics akin to what many fly rod companies use.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: May 04, 2023 11:05PM

Ah so Ultra Poly is a regular thread, thanks for clearing that up.

(I use Gudebrod)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 05, 2023 06:52AM

I have never noticed that Flex Coat CP cuts the sheen of regular thread, either nylon or poly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster