I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wrapping a Rod With HUMAN HAIR
Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: May 03, 2023 01:50PM

Has anybody else done this?

Edit to add: I'll post pics later.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2023 01:51PM by El Bolinger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping a Rod With HUMAN HAIR
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 03, 2023 02:09PM

El,
???? for a number of reasons. I will say that is certainly thinking outside the box! Can’t wait for the photo.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 03, 2023 03:14PM

ewwwww

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: May 03, 2023 08:49PM

I saw a picture once of a knife handle made with pet hair and casting resin...whatever floats your boat but I second the ewwwww!

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: May 03, 2023 09:41PM

Why not? Then just dye it the color of your choice! :-)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 03, 2023 11:52PM

Is Nice And Easy compatible with epoxy?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: May 04, 2023 11:59AM

as it is organic, it may rot or otherwise deteriorate.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 04, 2023 03:24PM

Love the new blood. There are so many things left to be explored.

Date: May 04, 2023 04:26PM

"Love the new blood."

Why didn't I think of that? A little drop of blood on the underside of your micro guide foot, slap it on the blank, give it a minute or so to dry...and instant guide foot adhesive, flat as a pancake.

"As it is organic, it may rot or otherwise deteriorate."

I agree. I've been tying flies for 55 years, and one thing you learn (often the hard way) is that you need to protect your fur and feathers from all sorts of enemies that want to destroy it all...the elements, bugs of all kinds, mold etc. A hungry moth larva might gobble that hair up like spaghetti.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2023 05:22PM

Some people hold onto a lock of hair from a passed pet or loved one.
Encapsulating it on a rod seems better than tucking it away in a keepsake box somewhere.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 04, 2023 06:18PM

With respect to Steven's comment.

Rather than wrapping the guides with hair, perhaps use hair to create an rememberance emblem with the hair. Then, encapsulate it in several coats of finish to protect it.

Best wishes

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: May 04, 2023 11:06PM

El,
Don’t tantalize us. Where’s the photo???

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: May 05, 2023 03:12PM

I’m bald and I find this post offensive.

Posted by: El Bolinger (71.184.77.---)
Date: May 07, 2023 01:01PM

My wife had a little incident while I had a rod drying...

The basement wont get above 62-63 degrees so I moved a rod upstairs to put on the dryer for a second coat. I moved a table into a corner and set it all up with the rod being a little longer than the table over the edge facing the corner.

She tried to grab something under where it was drying, and after I asked her if she wanted me to do it she assured me she'd be careful. After confirming by asking "are you sure" she doubled down and told me she can do it.

About 30 seconds later, after I step into the kitchen, I hear a quick yelp and a call for help. I rush back and flabbergasted by what I was seeing at first I was filled with a mix of confusion, frustration, and hilarity as my wife was haunched over the side of our big comfy chair with the rod spinning back and forth tugging and twirling her hair into a twisted knot around a couple of the guides.

Because of the safety mechanism in the dryer it kept spinning in different directions once it felt the resistance of the hair still attached to her scalp, clinging to it for dear life. Because of this I couldn't just unroll the hair out of the drying rod guides. I didn't my best to untangle as much as possible - but alas it was not enough to rescue each strand... there were casualties.

The lesson learned hair is when I mean "hey let me do that" don't ask someone if they want help - just say "hey let me do that" haha

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2023 01:03PM

@Spencer that actually made me lol, yalll arr a phunbunch

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 07, 2023 01:52PM

El,
Thanks for the photo and explanation. OK, you’re off my list of possible insanity candidates lol. I am sorry for your wife = that must have hurt and made her panic a bit. I am sorry that you had to rewrap those guides (or did you just add more epoxy, hence the original question?!?! lol).
As with Morris Schlesinger’s almost debilitating lathe accident, this incident could (should) have a similar “silver-lining” by refreshing everyone’s need to be careful while using tools, especially power tools and even more so with tools which rotate. There is a reason that my Jr. High School shop classes preached that long hair or long sleeves are to be avoided while using revolving equipment. We all use tools which can be potentially dangerous = BE CAREFUL!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: May 07, 2023 07:05PM

No need to re-wrap just cut those hairs close to the threads burn off the excess and epoxy over. It may smell for the rest of life but… memories.

Date: May 07, 2023 07:43PM

El,

Thanks for that. By the time I finished laughing, I thought I might need oxygen. Well done.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 12:25AM

That is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while.
There is something about a rod turning on a dryer that makes others want to touch it...bump into...hit the tip.
I've seen and done it all...but never scalped anyone!

Classic.

Funny...logged out I see the pictures...Logged in = nothing.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: May 10, 2023 09:23AM

@Mark, got me to chuckle with that one haha. I'm gonna look up the Morris incident, we can all learn from others' mistakes.

@Michael - I like the way you think!

@Ernie, glad I could brighten up your day a little

@Chris, glad you got a kick too. And real talk, humans have a natural tendency to make messes and go on the grass with the "stay off" sign.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster