I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Basic decorative thread wraps?
Posted by: Jake Skulich (204.9.150.---)
Date: April 27, 2023 08:59AM

A good friend of mine has asked me to build a spinning rod as a gift for his son who is graduating high school. He has seen the rods I have build and I keep my builds pretty basic. At most I may add a trim band but I am more about function over flash. He asked me to do something a little more decorative for his son since it is his graduation gift. The blank is natural with clear coat and he decided on a dark green for the guide wrap and gold for any trim bands. I really haven't messed with trying any decorative wraps, so I am looking for something simple, that looks pretty good, and isn't time consuming. I figured I would put this wrap before and after the decal that has his sons name and the year on it so its not going to be a real large area, maybe an inch before and after the decal.

TIA for any suggestions,
Jake

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Basic decorative thread wraps?
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: April 27, 2023 09:17AM

Chevrons are easy and quick to do. The average fisherman cannot really tell the difference in skill or time between a very elaborate closed wrap and an open chevron. From a price point basis the chevron is hard to beat and the customer is just as happy.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (74.140.56.---)
Date: April 27, 2023 10:08AM

I am a newer builder and currently working on a spinning rod build for my nephew as a graduation gift. If your spinning rod is going to have split grip could do the simple dragon scale (with mesh tape as backing). I just finished the dragon scale and came out pretty nice. Just make sure to keep metallic thread packed nice and tight. Could also do that above grip maybe on either side of decal for a couple inches with solid color trim band to set it off.

Here is an article on simple dragon scale [mudhole.com]

Have fun with the build.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: April 27, 2023 10:11AM

I don't do any geometric decorative wraps myself - I would think a chevron would be quick and easy. I much prefer the Throop/Tiger/Holo wraps. The time invested in one isn't bad at all - except you do have to account for more layers of finish than a standard wrap takes. You can lay down a base 2 color wrap in a few minutes, then put 2-3 coats of finish on it - then come back with the top wrap - 2-3 more coats of finish. A high school kid may appreciate the 'cool' factor of a holo wrap more than a chevron.....

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 27, 2023 12:31PM

Jake,
Adding a bit of bling to a rod build can be easy and quick or difficult and time-consuming = your choice. I personally do not really care for butt wraps and concentrate my thread bling to the actual guide wraps themselves. Trim bands, inlays and JTOBs add a subtle yet elegant pop and are quick and easy to do while color fades involve a bit more time and effort; all only require the simple knowledge and use of “Adding and Dropping Threads”. If you want a butt wrap type of embellishment that is quick and easy, consider Tom’s “Cheater Wraps” as explained in RodMaker magazine, V-24, I-6, P-12. The Cheater Wrap is basically pulling the core out of a nylon rope with color tracers, sliding onto the blank to the desired location, thread wrapping the ends and applying a few coats of thread epoxy. Can’t get much quicker or easier than that.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: April 28, 2023 07:06AM

Have you done false underwraps? just a wrap between the guide legs, can be done in gold - centre trim band done in any contrasting colour that suits the green guide wraps, and then gold trims bands on the ends of the guide wraps.
Looks far better than just guide wraps.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: April 28, 2023 07:08AM

Oh, you mean butt wrap

OK never mind

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster