I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

P-Touch labels
Posted by: Brian Petters (---.knology.net)
Date: April 23, 2023 11:10PM

Has anyone used Brother P-Touch labels to make custom labels?

I have one and want to try it out.

Is it suitable?
If it is mostly suitable, is there something I can do to make it work (like cover the ends with silk)?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: P-Touch labels
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.81-167-75.customer.lyse.net)
Date: April 24, 2023 04:18AM

I have. The labels look fine, however the epoxy tend to lift the corners or edges while curing. I have tried to wrap the corners with threads, it helps. On my next build I will cover the whole label with silk thread, to make sure there isno lifting. I have tried to cover the label with CP, but I does not help.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: April 24, 2023 09:56AM

I haven't had any trouble with edge lifting after I changed my technique. I make sure the blank surface is perfectly flat (no x-ray, x-wrap ridges unless you lay down a coat of epoxy), thoroughly clean the blank surface with alcohol, trim the decal's entire perimeter to remove dried out edges , apply the decal, and then burnish well. The decals are rather thick and frequently after burnishing, you'll see some label adhesive around the perimeter. I use a Q-tip to wipe away the excess. I then paint some Chroma Seal around the perimeter and let it dry. I also found that applying the epoxy along the axis of the blank (rather than applying while the rod rotates) reduced the chance of forcing epoxy under the edge as the brush is dragged over the label's edge during rotation. I think the biggest changes that affected the outcome were trimming the decal and carefully applying the epoxy without rod rotation. Hope this help.

Posted by: Darwin Wong (99.237.113.---)
Date: April 24, 2023 12:26PM

Did a bunch of tests long time ago and this what worked for me:

1) apply finish to blank rod and allow to dry so you get a clean surface
2) apply p touch label AND colour preserver (
may do couple coats if need)
3) apply your finish after that dries

Only reason I don’t use my ptouch is I wasn’t impressed with the resolution of 180dpi. I now use my laser colour printer and decal sheet

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2023 05:54PM

I use them all the time. If the blank has a flat or sanded finish then apply epoxy first. I cut the corners round and burnish making sure to not have trapped bubbles. Extra burnish on corners and edges. Apply two coats of CP and epoxy over, usually two coats is sufficient. Its the same for just about any decal.

Date: April 24, 2023 11:43PM

Would a high DPI inkjet printer work with regular clear labels?

B

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---)
Date: April 25, 2023 07:07PM

The P-Touch uses Wax Ribbon and after it prints it laminates the tape making it thick. I sell the EPSON label printers. They use Resin Ribbon and is UV, chemical, scratch, heat and cold resistant. Printers come with a Lifetime Warranty, no questions asked. We have been selling this line of printer for over 10 years and sold over 800 printers to the custom rod builders in the US. We are one of the sponsors on this forum under DECAL PRINTERS or read more at: www.LRTGroup.com & ask other rod builders on this forum.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2023 10:44AM

I can attest to Larrys' claims. I have a model 270 and it works great.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---)
Date: April 26, 2023 03:25PM

I Second Larry's Claims. I had the 270 for 7 years and it made really nice labels that I bought from Larry. I had a little problem with it and Epson replaced it with a LW-PX800 like Larry said no questions asked. I also had a P-touch for all of the other labels around the house and boat. After I ran out of P-Touch tape I switched everything over to the Epson. I also purchased the LW-C610PX when it was on sale. It is a portable unit that operates off of my phone. With The 270 and LW-PX800 you can do a lot more with the computer program but the LW-C610PX is a great unit that you can bring anywhere and also make really nice labels. One more thing P-Touch waste tape on each end of the label That you have to cut off. On The Epson you can adjust how much extra label you want on each end down to .04" and One little tab at the start of print. I also noticed that some of the older P-Touch Labels are starting to peel on the top layer and the letters are going away.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.csby.or.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: April 27, 2023 02:18AM

To keep the ink on your labels from running after you apply your epoxy, just tape over the label with clear tape like scotch tape, and the ink will never run, and the corners will always stay down. The best part is that once the epoxy is dry, you will never see the tape seams, but the decal will show up just as well as before. I have been doing this for over 30 years and never had a single problem. So give it a try.

Glenn McMurrian

Date: April 28, 2023 11:16AM

Larry Tobin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The P-Touch uses Wax Ribbon and after it prints it
> laminates the tape making it thick. I sell the
> EPSON label printers. They use Resin Ribbon and is
> UV, chemical, scratch, heat and cold resistant.
> Printers come with a Lifetime Warranty, no
> questions asked. We have been selling this line of
> printer for over 10 years and sold over 800
> printers to the custom rod builders in the US. We
> are one of the sponsors on this forum under DECAL
> PRINTERS or read more at: www.LRTGroup.com & ask
> other rod builders on this forum.
Larry,
I think he was asking about one he already had that I also have and have been using. I am interested in one of the Epson's, so which one would you recommend, what size tapes will it use and what colors are available on clear tape? How long will it take to get after I order it?
Thanks,
Lance

Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---)
Date: April 29, 2023 10:12AM

On the clear tape. I have 1/2" wide Black, White, Silver or Chrome and Gold letters. In the last couple of months I have put in two orders with Larry at LRTGroup.com and received them in the same week around 3 days.

Date: May 02, 2023 03:28PM

To everyone, thanks for the discussion. It has really been helpful.

Ron, you are correct, I was asking about the P-Touch because I already have one. Based on the comments here and elsewhere, I think I will pass on that.

That leaves me here:
1. I am not sure I'm going to give up on handwriting just yet. I do have a pack of Gelly Roll pens in "Moonlight" that I am unsatisfied with. I think I check to see if the metallics work better. (I've tried quills with India ink, and that doesn't work for me.)
2. If writing doesn't work, I will then have to decide whether 180dpi vs 360dpi is worth the cost, considering I do about 3 rods a year.
3. If I decide to purchase a label maker, you can bet I will give Larry a call.

Thanks again,
Brian

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2023 04:07PM

Try Dr Ph Martins iridescent calligraphy ink and a nib pen. This ink is the best I’ve ever used for writing on a blank. It will not bleed when covering with epoxy or even with Permagloss.
Norm

Date: May 05, 2023 11:23PM

The EPSON printer I sell, I do have Chrome Silver on Clear or on Black as well as Mirror Gold. You can sign your name, scan it and import it to our program that comes free or if you have your own graphic program print directly to our printer. I can send you samples or if you have a signature, I can print one for you and mail it to you.I am open 7 days a week, 10AM to 10PM EST if you want to chat tomorrow.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Mike Bernazzani (---.res-cmts.mlf.ptd.net)
Date: May 07, 2023 07:19AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Try Dr Ph Martins iridescent calligraphy ink and a
> nib pen. This ink is the best I’ve ever used for
> writing on a blank. It will not bleed when
> covering with epoxy or even with Permagloss.
> Norm

I have been using Martin's in white - works well and does not bleed or run with FlexCoat.
Mike B

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: May 09, 2023 10:43AM

I second Norm's suggestion. The Dr. PH Martin ink is the best ink I've found and I use a nib pen. Much better ink than Speedball.

Date: May 09, 2023 11:25AM

Larry Tobin Wrote:
> The EPSON printer I sell, I do have Chrome Silver
> on Clear or on Black as well as Mirror Gold. You
> can sign your name, scan it and import it to our
> program that comes free or if you have your own
> graphic program print directly to our printer. I
> can send you samples or if you have a signature, I
> can print one for you and mail it to you.I am open
> 7 days a week, 10AM to 10PM EST if you want to
> chat tomorrow.

Larry,
I am looking at the PDF for the LW-PX400 and I do not see Silver on Clear. Does that model have that tape cartridge?
Thanks,
Lance

Date: May 09, 2023 11:52AM

Yes, for our Custom Rod Builders, we offer Chrome Silver on Clear or on Black in 1/2" or 1" rolls as well as Mirror Gold in 1". This is only offered from LRT Group. Selling to custom rod builders for over 35 years.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 11, 2023 10:19AM

I also run a PearlLabel 270 that does a terrific job.

Just now beginning to get my shop back in order after selling and purchasing another home. (Still have a ways to go, but it's nice having my own area to hang out in!)

Definitely recommend Larry Tobin and his LRT Group. After a number of years, the laptop I used to design labels crashed along with all the software. Larry immediately took my call and assisted in setting up my new laptop. The customer service Larry provided years down the road attests to his service and product line.

*** And Dennis Danku, I'm an Old Bridge guy and still have friends in Madison Park, Laurence Harbor, etc., now living in Wyoming. There are a couple of Jersey Shore guys from the neighborhood in Wyoming and Colorado I've kept up with. Nice to see a Sayreville guy here, and I still miss the best pizza there!

Rodman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster