I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

21-22 Inches from reel seat on first guide?
Posted by: Tony Vieson (---.r.grouponmail.fr)
Date: April 09, 2023 07:22PM

I see this statement a lot, but I would like a little clarification on it.

When you say 21 to 22 inches from the reel seat, at what point of the reel seat are you measuring from?
Do you mean the front, the very end of the threads?
Do you mean the back side were the reel seat ends and the rod handle begins?
Do you mean from the front of the pocket were the mounting brace of the actual reel will be once the reel is mounted and secure in place?

I apologize for what may seem like a foolish question, but depending on where you start your measuring point, the first guide location can very a great deal.

On my first rods, I used a spacing guide to layout the general spacing and then adjusted the spacing based on the static guide and rod flex. My first guide on both rods is no where near the suggested/recommend 21-22 inches from the reel seat no matter what starting point I use. I also tend to you metric versus standard on my measuring. Feel as if metric is more precise.

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 21-22 Inches from reel seat on first guide?
Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 09, 2023 07:29PM

When measuring for the first (stripper) guide on a spinning rod, extend the spool to it's highest point and measure from the lip of the spool to the top of the ring. Failure to consistently measure with the spool extended can result in numerous re-measures, as I can attest!! Took me a couple years to figure out why my measurements were off!

For a casting guide, I measure from the level-wind bar, if there is one, otherwise from the front edge of the reel face.

FYI, 21" - 22" is farther out than I will typically go. But then again, I generally don't do extremely long or heavy rods, like Surf Rods, Salmon Bank Plunkers or Carp Casters - I assume those would need a greater distance.

Rich

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2023 08:41PM

The way I do it for a spinning reel is from the front of the spool shaft when extended about half way. Depending on the reel size and butt guide height, this distance will be about 19” to 22” for most freshwater reels. The larger the reel the further out you push the butt guide of a given size.
For a casting rod I measure from the front of the the reel out to about 19 to 21” for a low profile casting reels. The distance can vary in or out a little without making any difference in performance. I normally use a size 10 double foot guide or a RV6 as the butt guide. For a high profile casting reel I might use a higher frame butt guide to give a better line path.

Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2023 09:26PM

Other than the stripping guide on fly rods, where the reel plays no role in casting, the butt guide on spinning and casting rods is going to vary based on reel size/spool diameter and line size and type.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.77.235.---)
Date: April 10, 2023 12:40AM

Tony Vieson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see this statement a lot, but I would like a
> little clarification on it.
>
> When you say 21 to 22 inches from the reel seat,
> at what point of the reel seat are you measuring
> from?
> Do you mean the front, the very end of the
> threads?
> Do you mean the back side were the reel seat ends
> and the rod handle begins?
> Do you mean from the front of the pocket were the
> mounting brace of the actual reel will be once the
> reel is mounted and secure in place?
>
> I apologize for what may seem like a foolish
> question, but depending on where you start your
> measuring point, the first guide location can very
> a great deal.
>
> On my first rods, I used a spacing guide to layout
> the general spacing and then adjusted the spacing
> based on the static guide and rod flex. My first
> guide on both rods is no where near the
> suggested/recommend 21-22 inches from the reel
> seat no matter what starting point I use. I also
> tend to you metric versus standard on my
> measuring. Feel as if metric is more precise.
>
> Thank You

Spin rod?

Once the tip is glued on I simply measure a third of the distance from the centre of the reel seat to the tip for an approximate location for the butt guide

Then the actual position of the butt guide is determined by test casting.

To have a recommended or a suggested one set measurement for the first guide is ridiculous for all lengths of rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2023 12:43AM by Josh Bryan.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 10, 2023 11:25AM

Tony,

Norman Miller has your back.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2023 06:00PM

This is another good topic for me as new builder on something I wasn't 100% clear on. This thread has done a good job of answering. @Tony, I'm with you on using metric for guide layout and other layout/spacing chores. Much easier to me not having to mess with fractional measurements. The ~$10 investment in a metric/English tape measure was worth it.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 10, 2023 08:12PM

Not being a smarty pants here, but if you're placing a guide 5.5 centimeters from another guide, aren't you still dealing with a fraction?

I realize it's in increments of 10, and that makes it easier. But you're still working with a fraction.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2023 09:06PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not being a smarty pants here, but if you're
> placing a guide 5.5 centimeters from another
> guide, aren't you still dealing with a fraction?
>
> I realize it's in increments of 10, and that makes
> it easier. But you're still working with a
> fraction.

Yea, you are right. Using cm the smallest I go is 0.5 but still would rather do that than fractional inches. No need for 1/4, , 1/8, 1/16th etc... :)

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2023 09:13PM

The metric system seems like it was made for spacing guides, It really does simplify the process. If you haven’t tried it, give it a go. A decimal system is much easier to use than a fraction based system. You are basically working with whole numbers. For example, 5.5 cm is 55 mm.
Norm

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 04:12PM

I heartily agree with Norm, and you should be able to find a metric/fractional tape measure for very little. So you have the best of both worlds. I extend my tape measure on my bench, lock it, and tape it down in a couple of places with masking tape. Works great.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 04:20PM

Oh oh say can you see ......... by the dawn's early light.

What so proudly we haled, at the twilight's last gleaming ..........

Sorry guys. I just had to LOL <wink>

Posted by: Tony Vieson (45.130.83.---)
Date: April 12, 2023 11:47AM

Thanks for all the feed back. I used a 2 sided sewing measuring tape. Inches on one side and metric on the other. Taped it to my work station. It's convenient and for me at least, faster to use metric than to us standard. Depending on who you ask or position on the subject. Getting guides that specifically accurate maybe over kill, but from my point of view. That's why we build custom rods versus buying prefab.

It's not about turning out rods as quickly as possible, it about the quality and art. It also helps when your trying to match up components, because not everybody has access to fully equipped fabrication shops to R&D and make every piece that will end up on your rod. As much as I wish I did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster