I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dremel for guide foot prep?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2023 06:29PM

My personal opinion is that this is one of the subjects that builders tend to overthink, and overdo. I simply scuff the surface of the guide feet with 150 sandpaper so the thread will get a grip and climb the foot. With KB/KT4's and similar guides you can hardly see them on the rod, so how important is it to change the profile of the guide foot? I'd rather not disturb the surface finish any more than necessary to allow a good wrap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 09, 2023 12:28PM

The sharpening/grinding stone from Harbor Freight works pretty darned well for a manual device.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 09, 2023 01:30PM

I remember a bunch of rods I made 25 years ago for my Son and me for our trips down to San Fillipi. I remember the heavy FUJI Chrome Hardaloy guides I put on most of those rods. Can't remember the nomenclature of them, but they WERE stiff. I didn't shape/thin the feet and because of that, the feet resisted bending when the rod was flexed and of course the resultant finish cracks! Use common sense. I use a 1" Craftsman belt sander that I have had for eons and I have on it a very fine grit that is very worn, but it shapes the guide feet very fast!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2023 05:05PM by Kerry Hansen.

Posted by: Keith Reinoehl (---.44.17.61.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: April 11, 2023 10:32PM

I use a Dremel with the pencil wand attachment and a drum sander You have much more control with the pencil.

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2023 01:56PM

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Mike Hubbert (---)
Date: April 17, 2023 10:47PM

Dremel with diamond is my choice. I have a belt sander, but I use mostly small guides and the dremel is much easier for me. The small 1” diamond wheel from harbor freight is a dream doing recoil titanium snake, casting and spinning guides. The small 1” wheel is easy to control with virtually no burrs. I use mostly silk thread, so proper grinding is critical

As with everything we do making rods, it’s a personal preference.

Mike

Posted by: Robert Sunjara (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2023 06:00PM

I find a worksharp is easier to use and produces better results than a file or a dremel

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2023 09:18PM

The Dremel is a very poor tool for guide prep. Much easier and more efficient ways to do it.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster