I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dremel for guide foot prep?
Posted by: Jake Skulich (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 04:42AM

I have been using a small file to prep my guide feet like most do. Does anyone use a dremel? I feel like it would be faster but might be too agressive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dremel for guide foot prep?
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2023 05:44AM

I have 2 Dremel power tools, one is the electric, very high RPM, variable speed, yes it can be used for that, but it is aggressive. With any other tool or procedure, you get a feel for it and when it can be useful.
The other one is a rechargeable model (wife bought it to trim my Lab’s nails, comical failure). This one has a much lower RPM, 2 speed motor. It’s just right with a stone that has a “bowl” shaped front. Works great on beveling the top of the feet on hook keepers and rounding some guides that may not have even side to side bevels on the feet. I get them close and then final prep with a file or sandpaper.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 07:45AM

A better choice, IMO, would be a mini belt sander. You can pick them up for around $50.00.

Posted by: Jake Skulich (204.9.150.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 08:32AM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A better choice, IMO, would be a mini belt sander.
> You can pick them up for around $50.00.

I have a Work Sharp for my knives, which is essentially a mini belt sander. Has a few different grit belts, and is easy to work with. Never thought about that option before.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.225.59.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 08:49AM

I use a dremel with stone grinding wheels. Works very well, and I find it much easier to use than my 1" belt sander. For small guides, I clamp onto the guide foot near the ring with a small hemostat for safety/access/grip. I've heard of people using the Work Sharp hand held mini belt sander with good results as well.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 04, 2023 09:12AM

Yes, more care must be taken when using power tools. But, Any power tool that you are competent and comfortable with will work, the problem is holding the smaller guides, I got around that by making a tool similar to one Mudhole sells.

Have fun

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 09:14AM

Ditto on the use of a belt sander.
I generally use a belt with about a 180 to 220 grit.
The sander that I use is a 1x30 inch belt sander.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.harborfreight.com]

I also use a tool to hold the guide on which I am dressing the foot. The tool is a short section of appropriate sized rod blank.
I then use a section of machine thread with a flat head and of the size that fits nicely into the ring of the guide that I am dressing. i.e. smaller guides, smaller sized machine screw. Larger sized machine screw.
If necessary, I also grind off material from the head of the machine screw to make it thinner and not be in the way of the sanding belt when holding the guide during prepping.

I use an appropriate sized wing nut to tighten the machine screw into the guide ring. I then, use a dremel and a cut off wheel to cut off the length of the machine screw so that I only have to spin on the wing nut about 3 times to make it tight in the guide ring and the length of rod blank. That means that it only takes about 3 seconds to move from one guide to the next when dressing a batch of guides.

By using this guide holder it is easy to hold the guide securely without having any part of the tool getting in the way of the spinning sanding belt as the guides foot is being dressed.

Of course, for large stripper and similar guides there is not need for a tool because one can easily hold the guide between the fingers for guide foot dressing.

Note:
When dressing a guide foot, I always sand at right angles, or perpendicular or at 90 degrees with respect to the guide foot.
The result is that there are micro scratches across the guide foot and these actually aid in wrapping and tend to keep the thread from sliding off the foot of the guide.

p.p.s
My final step is to always take a couple strokes of the underside of the guide foot parallel to the guide foot on a flat arkansas sharpening stone.
This step insures that there are no protruding pieces of guide foot protruding from the underside of the guide that could possibly scratch the rod blank during the rod build.

For example:
[jendeindustries.com]

or:
[www.nortonabrasives.com]

Best wishes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2023 09:17AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2023 09:16AM

I think you'll find that the easiest way to prep guide feet is with the use of a sandpaper belt or disc, about 150 grit. If you have a motorized rod wrapper or lathe, you can buy a disc mounted on a mandrel for a few dollars and chuck it into your wrapper. The variable speed feature on most motorized rod wrappers gives you a great deal of control.

Posted by: Ivan Hartavel (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 09:59AM

I use Work Sharp. Awesome for knives and for prepping guides

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 10:02AM

I use a dremel and it works fine for me.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 11:11AM

I should have noted that I do the same as Roger on the bottom of the guide feet. I use a diamond hone, but same concept. Making sure that are no burrs to scratch the rod blank.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 11:15AM

I find the easiest way, for me anyway, is a 3 sided Arkansas stone. It really doesn’t take much to prep the feet. In fact, if you get too carried away, you can easily make as many burs as you clean up.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 11:24AM

Last time I use a Dremel - heat melted the "weld" on an expensice Fuji guide
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 02:50PM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have 2 Dremel power tools, one is the electric,
> very high RPM, variable speed, yes it can be used
> for that, but it is aggressive. With any other
> tool or procedure, you get a feel for it and when
> it can be useful.
> The other one is a rechargeable model (wife bought
> it to trim my Lab’s nails, comical failure).
> This one has a much lower RPM, 2 speed motor.
> It’s just right with a stone that has a
> “bowl” shaped front. Works great on beveling
> the top of the feet on hook keepers and rounding
> some guides that may not have even side to side
> bevels on the feet. I get them close and then
> final prep with a file or sandpaper.
Try using it on cats' nails, even more hilarious. LOL. Looks like it is about to be repurposed. Thanks!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 07:22PM

Whether or not to dress a guide foot continues to be a debated topic. The late Jim Ising of Anglers Resource / Fuji was strongly opposed to any dressing of a guide foot. No one can really argue with his infinite reasoning; most SS guides go through some sort of passivation process which brings the non-rusting, non-ferrous elements such as chromium, nickel, molybdenum to the surface to enhance the corrosion resistance. But that “layer” is only fractions of a thousandths thick and even minimal dressing will remove that layer. I totally understand his point.
Nonetheless, I am a stickler for a much more gradual ramp on the toe of a guide foot to enhance the appearance and ease of winding the thread up the ramp of the guide foot of my wraps. I have not experienced any corrosion issues and have built quite a few saltwater rods which are used frequently even though Fuji employs 302 / 303 / 304 SS (18-8 in the fastener world) which is not as corrosion resistant as 316 SS.
If one DOES decide to dress the feet of their guides, a slow speed of higher grit with light pressure will produce the best results; certainly no sparks or red-hot metal! That being said, My 1in wide belt sander is probably too fast, but I use 400 grit with extremely light pressure. I attempt to stop just short of “knife-edging” the toe and always swipe the bottom over a ScotchBrite a few times to ensure there are no burrs.
Sorry Jim, RIP. We all miss you!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 08:58PM

I find the Tiemco ceramic hook hone absolutely magic for quick and smooth guide preparation.

Posted by: Jake Skulich (204.9.150.---)
Date: April 05, 2023 08:28AM

Thanks for all the replies and insight, looks like I have a few different options to try in the future.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 05, 2023 09:36PM

I used to use a file but picked up a dremel knockoff from Amazon. It has various speeds but does tend to be a bit aggressive if I’m not careful. I still hold the guides in my fingers , sure they get a little hot sometimes and I sand the skin off the odd finger , if I’m not careful, but it works and I probably won’t change it.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: April 06, 2023 03:12AM

I use a dremel variable speed, works well on low speed

Quick n easy using one of the sanding bits that comes with it, the course paper seems perfect for the job
It's like a cylinder shaped bit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2023 03:15AM by Josh Bryan.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: April 08, 2023 04:47PM

I mount my Dremel in a vise with a cutoff wheel and grind away.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster