I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR Concept with Alps guides?
Posted by: Mike W. Anderson (---)
Date: March 27, 2023 09:05AM

Was interested in trying the Alps titanium guides but I see they don't really have an equivalent guide to any of the smaller sized Fuji reduction guides like a 5.5M or 6M - would a train of say a 20H, 10H, #6 runner, #5 runners to finish it out, work? Was kind of surprised to see that Alps doesn't make those smaller reduction guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR Concept with Alps guides?
Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: March 27, 2023 09:17AM

Not everybody will recognize fuji's concept.

I certainly don't apply it to my rods.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 09:46AM

If you are going to emulate the Fuji system you'll have to have very similar guide heights and ring sizes in the reduction guides. If Alps offers that, then it should work. If not , you won't have the Fuji system. The runners don't really matter, in my opinion. It's all about the reduction guides and proper spacing of them.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 27, 2023 10:30AM

Mike

My thinking here is based on using what you have available to you in the guide brand you want to try, not necessarily what is gospel per Fuji and others. I'm also not as familiar with the Alps line of guides as I am with Fuji. From your guide choices, I am assuming you are building a spinning rod of ML to M power and using fluoro line #12 or less with a 2500-3000 size reel. Braid is so supple and lacks the 'coils' that mono and fluoro can have even in heavier test weights.

Reducing weight and line slap: I think your idea will work. It may not exactly fit the "ideal" KR Concept as per Fuji, but it incorporates most of it. One purpose of the high frame, small ring guides is to reduce line slap and overall weight; and the first two reduction guides (20H and 10H) will tame most of line oscillation and reduce the weight of the two largest guides.

Line Flow: Ideally, I would bullseye the reduction guides on the choker guide, but a #6 guide will likely make that impossible to do (would a #7 get closer?). That's why you want the 5.5M frame, right? So, using what you have available, I would progressively space my three reduction guides (20H, 10H, and 6) so they bullseye each other, and then do my runners the rest of the way. The line path will flow in a straight line from the reel to the #6 guide and then straight to the runners. This will work pretty well in my view.

Perspective: In my earliest days of building (late 70's), I did not have a community like this forum to learn from, so, those rods look awkward and feel heavy to me today....but they all can and did throw a lure as far as I needed and caught me a gang of fish. Do those rods work? Heck yeah! Are they ideal? Heck no!

My general view is that as long as I can reduce weight and have a line flow with minimum changes of direction, I am golden. I also think there is a great deal of wisdom in doing a two-line static test for guide placement to make sure my guides are following the natural bend profile of the rod.

I hope this helps you in some way!

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2023 10:56AM

For the Alps iV guides you could try a reduction train consisting of 20H, 10H, and 6L followed by your size 5 runners. It is a grouping that should work, just fine.
Norm

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2023 02:12PM

Interested in this as well. I’d like to give the Alps guides a try as all of my builds have either been with CRB Elite or Fuji K series.

Alps does make a match style guide that appears to be similar to the Fuji K line up. It’s hard to find the Fujis in the size I want, seems like everywhere is out of stock. But with Alps having a great reputation figured why not? Part of the reason I got into rod building is to experiement and have fun with the builds

Date: March 27, 2023 03:15PM

SeaGuide, American Tackle, and Kigan all make KR-like guides in the sizes needed for a KR-like reduction train.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 27, 2023 03:29PM

If the height and ring size are your only criteria the original tall M style match guides are also still available.

Date: March 27, 2023 07:39PM

I couldn't find them, any links? Remember, I'm looking at the titanium guides.

Date: March 27, 2023 08:58PM

Here are links for the SeaGuide titanium KR-like guides. They are quite nice.
[rodbuilderswarehouse.com]
Norm

Date: March 28, 2023 08:45AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are links for the SeaGuide titanium KR-like
> guides. They are quite nice.
> [rodbuilderswarehouse.com]
> ing-guides/products/seaguide-titanium-guide-tixohg
> ?variant=43020810944747
> ing-guides/products/copy-of-seaguide-titanium-guid
> e-tixomg?variant=14306477604927
> ing-guides/products/seaguide-titanium-guide-onegui
> de-series-tixog-w?variant=14376782397503
> ing-guides/products/seaguide-titanium-guide-tixog-
> n?variant=14379908235327
> Norm

Appreciate it, this is what I am looking for, hopefully these aren't just Ti coated but solid.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (162.72.4.---)
Date: March 28, 2023 09:36AM

If this is ok to post here is a pic from the seaguide catalog I picked up at ICRBE with that guide series on one page. Doesn’t say anything about being only Ti coated….

Date: March 28, 2023 09:57AM

The SeaGuide guides aren’t coated, they are solid titanium alloy guides.
There are places to buy titanium Kigan ZH guides but they aren’t sponsors here.
American Tackle does have titanium KR-like guides. [voodoorods.com]
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster