I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap for Jacks
Posted by: Stephen Ashcraft (---.prodigy.net.mx)
Date: December 04, 2001 08:21PM

I'm building a 9' surf rod for a customer who wishes to use it for jack crevalle on the Mexican Gulf coast. I'm using a casting set up for a Shimano Speedmaster on a moderate action E-Glass blank . The customer insists that he needs the spine side up which I am afraid will cause this softer tipped rod to twist under the strain of an oversized jack. I brought up the idea of a spiral wrap and was kind of shocked when he gave me the nod on it having more conventional tastes in rods than most.

The problem is that I may have spoken too soon. I did explain that it would be a first for me, but I don't want it to be a "practice rod".

Any suggestions as to guide sizes and butt guide placement? I'm sure I'm going to do some practice casting. I think I'm going to strip the butt section of a factory rod down, wtist the guide around with tape and do some tests.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap for Jacks
Posted by: Chuck B. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 08:32PM

First off, the spine will have nothing to do with rod twist no matter whether you put the guides on top or the bottom. Guide location alone determines whether the rod will twist. Put the guides on top and the rod will twist. Put 'em on the bottom and it won't.

The AllCoasters have been using the spiral wrap in earnest this past year. They call it the 'acid wrap'. What was originally thought to be something that only a bass rod would function with has turned out to be a much better idea for heavy duty saltwater rods even more so. You would be making a good choice to to try it on the Jack rod.

If you do a search here you will find all sorts of info on the spiral wrap. Ralph O'Quinn did a nice article on his version in one of the Rodmaker issues last year. There was also an article by Rich Forhan on his Revolver Rod design. There are several ideas on how fast to get the line around the blank to the underside. I have used Ralph's method on rods I intend to cast but on most of my heavier saltwater models I just take the line to the bottom via 4 guides. One on top at 0 degrees - the next at the 60 degree location - then one at 120 degree and one at 180 to finish. I get them all around in about 14 inches from the 0 degree to the first 180 degree. I don't know that this is the best way, but it works well enough for me. By all means listen to what others tell you about their own experiences.

Re: spiral wrap for Jacks
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:04PM

In a nutshell, you take the blank and flex it from the tip. When you get it bent to the point where it forms a 90 degree bend note the spot where the bend starts. Just behind this point you will locate your first 180 degree guide. Now take the line from the reel spool center and string it out to that guide. You want to place the guides between that one and the reel so that the line continues to form that same straight line. So let the line between that first 180 guide and the reel tell you where the guides will go. How many you need in there depends upon how long the rod is.

From the first 180 guide on out to the tip all the guides will be on the underside or 180 degree location.

This is just one method and I think it is pretty much as the O'Quinn method spells it out. The article mentioned had photos which make it easier to understand but it's pretty simple really.

Acid wrap for Ulua
Posted by: Chef Jim (65.138.135.---)
Date: December 04, 2001 11:30PM

Fancy that! I just happen to have built a Seeker Ulua93H, 9'3", 30-60#, "S"Glass spiral or Acid wrapped rod! Ulua is the Hawaiian name for the Giant Trevelle, the size large cousin of the Jack Crevelle! Seeker Rods has developed, over many years, rods specialized for this type of surf casting, but that's another story. . .
My stripper guide is 24" from the top of the reelseat at 1:00. Using the O'Quinn method, I used 5 guides (including stripper) to transition the line to the 180degree guides. 5 guides are in this 6:00 position.
The key to positioning the transitional guides is having the line travel in a straight line from the reel to the first 180 degree, this ulitimately assists in casting. One other criteria is to make sure the transition to 180 happens before the major bend in the rod.
Your client will be over joyed the first time he casts, and the first time he ties into a sizable Jack because in this configuration the rod performs in such a stable manner.
BTW, the Spiral wrap got the nick name "Acid Rod" when a deck hand on a party boat eyed it up and down and asked me, "Were you on acid when you wrapped that thing or what!?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster