I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rear grip length, is there a formula?
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 01:41AM

This probably stumps me as much as anything related to building and using fishing rods. I’ve got baitcasting and conventional rods with all sorts of handle lengths and see very little pattern or consistency. I get saltwater jigging rods needing to have handles that don’t impede past the elbow, but some factory ones do. I sort of get freshwater rods going for some semblance of balance, I guess. I’ve got factory salmon and steelhead rods with handles longer than seems ideal. I like bass rods with a little shorter handle than what factories often use. Cal on Tackletour, who now features a few of his starting to improve personal builds, seems to like much longer handles than I do. Overall, I can’t find consistent rules of thumb, formulas, or reasons to kill so much rod length behind the reel seat on most kinds of casting rods. I built a 7’6” rod (point blank) on a 9.25 inch rear grip and can’t see where a longer grip would make it better. I’m getting ready to build a 7’8” rod to cast spinners to silvers and think I’m only going to add a little more grip than that. Am I missing something that others actually know? What do all of you use to determine grip length?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear grip length, is there a formula?
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 06:25AM

Comfort is my formula.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2023 07:30AM

For different techniques and preferences there are different dimensions for fishing rods. A muskie rod will have different dimensions than a bluegill rod. So try to match the techinque with the fisherman preferences with the fisherman dimensions (for good ergonomics) . A good way to start is to identify a rod the fisherman likes for a certain technique and build the new one for the same technique to similar dimensions.

There is no magic formula that states an optimum rear grip length for all rods.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.242.14.198.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 26, 2023 07:32AM

Tom had a nice article on this very subject just a few issues back in RodMaker magazine. I must say one of the reasons I started building my own rods was so I could build or create custom grips of the length and diameter to my liking. I remember the first 7 foot rod I ever purchased years ago. When I compared it with my other rods I discovered the extra length was mainly in the handle. After 15 years of building I am still searching for that perfect rod and handle set up. This gives me an excuse to purchase more blanks and keep building. Currently I am very satisfied with my carbon fiber Tennessee split grips for my own personal use. You just simply tape the reel where you want it.
Steve

Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 09:12AM

For me, my preferred handle lengths is derived from two variables.

First and most important, what technique is the rod going to be used for? What baits, what action is being imparted to the bait, what line and power is needed for landing target fish.

For example, my go to jerkbait rod is a 6'6" blank. I enjoy a very short handle of 7.75" from rear of reel seat. In turn, like you noticed, the rod in front of the reel fishes more like a 6'8" comparable rod with a more off the shelf handle. Also, it feels to me it keeps a faster action. Which is my next point.

Secondly, I look at the taper of the rod and where I like the shut off in the action. If it is a extra fast blank, I may want to keep that handle short to accentuate it. At the same time, you could make the handle a bit longer for balance and power and still have a nice fast+ action.

For example, I built on on the 7108 for a flipping stick. It is faster than other NFC flipping blanks and I was able to cut the length to 7'5", keep a nice long 11" handle, good balance, and still have the fastish action. I built a 736 for a Kayak buddy with a 9" handle. Short for a 7'3" MH+ but I really liked how it had a faster action. Buddy added 4" to the NFC 709 to make it faster and it feels really sweet.

I'm new to building so take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2023 09:52AM

I agree with Daryl. "Comfort is my formula".

IMO,The reason there ares so many grip length and styles is because everyone has a different requirement or comfort level and the manufacturers are trying to satisfy everyone. There are times when the combination of rod and handle length or functionality isn't available, in that case, in steps the custom rod builder to provide exactly what the user wants.

There are no formulas, build what suits you or your customer.

Have fun

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2023 09:55AM

Hard to express handle length in inches - a 7-inch rear handle will hit your forearm at a different location than it will someone else's owing to how you hold the reel versus how they hold it. Forearm lengths vary from angler to anger. So there can be no definite handle length at least one that is defined by inches. You can, however, arrive at optimum lengths as a function of where and handle end should contact your forearm based on your priority for the rod and the quarry you are after.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 26, 2023 10:52AM

Hello All.

If you want to know more about ergonomics you could ask Tom if he has any more of his ergonomic compilation books left from the EXPO.

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2023 11:14AM

No formula, it all about personal preference. Some people like a long handle some like it short. Build it the way the person likes it. One size doesn’t fit all. It is after all a custom rod.
Norm

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 11:18AM

I do build for technique and carefully research each one. I measure my forearm length against components on pertinent builds. I’m an inch taller than average USA male height. I usually find that I prefer a little less rear grip length than the factory offerings for given techniques, though. I put the least amount of weight I can in the blank and everything else in front of the reel. I like Rob’s thought on rod taper and bend. I find some factory offerings with long handles have a little too much bend just ahead of the fore grip. I’ll look for the ergo information. I often have this little doubt in starting builds as to why my preference comes out a bit non-standard.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 01:23PM

Handle length depends on preference and purpose. But, for a generic lets say “cast and retrieve” spinnerbait type rod I divide the length into 6ths. Ex. 7’ rod would be 84”/ 6 = 14”. The 14” would be area for the handle.

This method (to me) keeps the handle in a good general location that is functional and aesthetically pleasing.

6’ rod = 12”
6’6 rod = 13” handle
7’ rod = 14” handle
8’ rod = 16” handle
9’rod = 18” handle
13’ rod = 26” handle
Etc…

Date: March 26, 2023 01:46PM

Visual of what I’m saying

Date: March 26, 2023 02:31PM

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: March 26, 2023 03:48PM

No formula possible. A 7-1/2 foot rod for casting big swimbaits will need a different rear handle length than a 7-1/2 foot rod for casting crankbaits. The RM article made more sense than anything I have ever read on handle length. And surf rods are a totally different thing.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 06:16PM

Based on usage for me. Big baits or deep jigging get a longer handle. So I want to tuck it under my arm like slow pitch? Lighter baits, kayak, wearing a pfd, I want an 8-81/2 inch handle.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 06, 2023 03:53PM

Glad to see wearing a PFD mentioned as a factor affecting rear grip length. What you or a customer might wear while using a rod is definitely going to play into rear grip length. If not, you may find that you've built a rod that can only be used during certain times of the year, or in certain weather conditions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster