I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly rod handles made from cork rings
Posted by: Scott Richardson (---)
Date: March 24, 2023 04:33PM

What's the best adhesive or glue for building handles using cork rings?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod handles made from cork rings
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 24, 2023 04:44PM

Most use epoxy adhesive, as I do , and it always works just fine. Some advocate Titebond III, and it also is reported to work just fine. I spin the rings on the mandrel relative to each other to assure adhesive contact everywhere.

It is important to not squeeze the rings together excessively, which might squeeze out adhesive. Snug, full contact, a little tight, but if you're deforming the cork rings you probably are getting too aggressive.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.150.---)
Date: March 24, 2023 05:07PM

Scott
IMO - West System's GFlex650 - for ALL structural components.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2023 10:35PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2023 05:20PM

I use Titebond III for gluing ring to ring, then 2 part epoxy for bonding to blank.

I glue my rings up on 1/4 threaded rod, wing nuts and washers to snug them up, Mike is correct, just snug enough so you don't deform the rings. After the glue is cured, I put the rough grip on a 1/4 tool steel mandrel and shape it. Ream to fit blank.

Titebond 2 or 3 is a really good wood glue, I know some builders that use the #2, but most will say they use #3. I've never had issues. Now if you are going to put rubberized cork on the ends or decorative grips, use 2 Part Epoxy to bond the rubberized material to the cork.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2023 05:33PM

I use;

Contact cement for the cork rings.

2 part epoxy for cork to blank.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 24, 2023 06:06PM

Both work, Titebond 3 is waterproof and is also water cleanup.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2023 10:15PM

I use 15 or 30 minute clear epoxy with the Bill Hickey washer, wingnut technique. Whatever glue you use you want it to be thin, waterproof and dry or set clear. I have tried paste epoxy and you can see epoxy between the rings. You may want that, but I prefer not. I also put them on a mandril and turn them on a lathe.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 24, 2023 10:41PM

With paste epoxy I butter it on than scrape it off, both sides, so far after many years no failures, no lines.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 24, 2023 11:49PM

I’ve been reading quite a bit about cork rings and I’m very excited to give this a try myself. I’m very good at shaping by hand. One experiment I’ve pondered doing is using a caulk gun to press the rings together. Thoughts?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 25, 2023 07:21AM

I've only built 3 cork grips thus far, and used Titebond lll for all 3 oft hem. 50% of one of them is rubberized cork rings, with a rubberized cork butt cap. I also have rubberized cork in a set of split grips that I made, with the butt cap of the fighting butt being rubberized cork.

So far, absolutely zero problems with using Titebond 3 on rubberized cork rings.

As far as using a caulk gun to press the rings together goes. Stop pondering, and can go to your local Home Depot, or Lowe's, or wherever the heck you would go to get this kind of stuff, and for $5.74 plus tax, (Home Depot prices) pick up a 36" piece of 1/4" threaded rod, a 4 pack of 1/4" wing nuts, and a 12 pack of 1/4" flat washers.

If your experiment doesn't work you'll have not only wasted your time, you'll have cost yourself more in cork rings than the price of the stuff needed to do at least an adequate job

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 25, 2023 08:04AM

I use David's method too, and it works well. I drill my rings to 5/16 to minimize reaming and use 5/16 threaded rod.

I would be concerned that the caulk gun would not apply even pressure. The threaded rod with washers applies pressure evenly and is infinitely adjustable for pressure. If you are careful in applying the epoxy/titebond you can easily remove the glued ring set from the threaded rod without having to use any messy wax.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2023 10:58AM

Michael, I actually went overboard when buying stuff to build my own cork grips. At least for someone that was buying the stuff to build their first cork grips,

I do mine on a 3/8" mandrel. Of course I could have just used one of the drills I have to bore out the center holes to 3/8", but I didn't. lol I got an inexpensive drill press and made a self centering cork ring jig to bore out the center holes to 3/8". I made the investment of a whole $9 and made a cork ring clamp using 1/4" threaded rods and a couple of 1"x2"s to clamp the rings together once I have them on the mandrel. I measure between the 1x2s to make sure they are the same distance so that they are applying even pressure. Eliminating the concern of uneven pressure you brought up concerning the caulk gun.

I bought a cork saw, which is pretty much is a must if you are using any of the cork slicking jigs I have seen available. I bought a dozen extra blades for the saw. Two cork slicing jigs, One for simple 1/8" thick slices, as well as one for cutting rings into different size wedges. And of course, a whole lot of different types of cork rings. lol Oh and I can 't forget that "messy wax" to wax the mandrel with before sliding the cork rings on. And the wax really isn't messy at all. lol

I can understand not putting the kind of investment I did into building a grip, and you certainly don't need everything I just listed to build a cork grip. But a simple to build inexpensive cork clamping jig should be something anyone considering building a cork grip, should invest in.

Oh, and I got almost everything I listed above from a board sponsor. Custom Fly Grips LLC. Awesome place to deal with !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 11:00AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 25, 2023 11:43AM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’ve been reading quite a bit about cork rings
> and I’m very excited to give this a try myself.
> I’m very good at shaping by hand. One experiment
> I’ve pondered doing is using a caulk gun to
> press the rings together. Thoughts?

Get a quick grip clamp and drill holes in it so a mandrel can pass through each side. Ya want everything centered off the holes in the cork and I don't see a caulk gun working for that.

Date: March 25, 2023 11:52AM

Date: March 25, 2023 11:55AM

I believe I first saw this clamp mod here in the photo section years ago

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 11:56AM by Matt Ruggie.

Date: March 25, 2023 01:49PM

You read my mind Matt! That was my second thought after dismissing the caulk gun thought. The caulk gun would work with a minor mod, but the quick grip clamp is easier. The quick grip is two drilled holes from working perfect!

Date: March 25, 2023 02:53PM

Yeah it works great and super quick. Ya can even use these for some handle/reel seat assemblies on the blank since the one side detaches from the clamp. As long as ya have a clamp with a deep enough throat that is.

Date: March 25, 2023 02:56PM

Yup, and I already have at least 5 or 6 of the quick grips in my tool cabinet.

Date: March 25, 2023 03:13PM

Date: March 25, 2023 03:15PM

Saw these and thought about modifying for cork but said why bother cause the quick grip clamps work great. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Edit to add:
OP,
I'm in the titebond III group. Never had a problem and cleans up easy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2023 03:18PM by Matt Ruggie.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster