I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
North Fork Composites
Posted by: Ray Anderson (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 07:38AM

Hello everyone! I'm new to the group and fairly new to rod building. I so far have enjoyed reading the threads and have picked up quite a few tips that I thank you all for.
My reasoning for posting today is that I recently picked up a Mystery box of blanks from NFC. I've been able to cross reference most of the serial numbers with their online catalog to figure out what I received. However, there's a few That are no longer in their catalog and was wondering is anyone can identify them for me. Unfortunately when I called NFC they were little to no help and directed me here.
Here's a list of the patterns if anyone is able to help.
Any specs at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork Composites
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 08:15AM

If you are not checking CCS numbers yourself then you will have a very hard time in the future understanding what you have and what they are good for. I strongly recommend you set up a rig so you can measure the blanks/rods yourself.

TNF is easier than CCS to measure and gives another dimension of rod performance. If you're interested in learning how, my email is open.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 08:19AM

How does one go about getting a mystery box of NFC blanks? That sounds like fun!

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 08:33AM

A bit of a pain, but,

Go to their catalog and they list the pattern numbers in the first column. You just have to scroll through the pages. I never found a way to search for them. The zeros matter as they can differentiate between series (HM, IM, Delta) on the same taper.

Posted by: Wendell Sheppard (---.vianet.ca)
Date: March 21, 2023 10:13AM

Ray
For the 8351 look at the MB765 Xray and the 657 look at MB809 in the HM. Couldn't find the others.
My mystery box is set to arrive on Thursday. Patiently waiting like a kid for Christmas

Posted by: Ray Anderson (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 11:07AM

Tim
Thats what the instructions said to do and I was able to find most of the rods in the Catalog. Unfortunately some of the Pattern numbers do not exist. When I called NFC customer service, they said they were probably old blanks and that they were not able to provide and old catalogue archive.

Michael
Ill thanks for the offer! Ill definitely be sending you an email shortly.

Rick
They sent out and Email with a code to buy the mystery box. Just sign up for the Emails and you should receive notifications January of next year.

Wendell
I received mostly freshwater rods which is fine by me since that's mostly what I do! Ill definitely get another next year as well!

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 11:33AM

thanks Ray!

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 03:54PM

I would have bought a box, but I was unsure of the "mystery". Did you get rods that you want to build or some not so much?

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 05:15PM

My mystery box included several light and UL blanks and lots of heavyish flipping stick kind of blanks. Not so many in between. It also included the stoutest blank I have ever felt. I think it's a tuna rod. It also included two 7 foot blanks that are normally sold as 8 foot blanks and I think have some cut off the tip and the butt. Not sure I can find a use for a blank with 6 inches off the tip, it's kinda missing the most important part.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 10:05PM

Peter I might be interested in the "tuna rod" if you have no need for it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 10:25PM

I’ve got two that no practical use to myself. They are from my “mystery box” as well

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 11:15PM

But the real question is

Are you happy with your mystery boxes?

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: March 22, 2023 08:30AM

I am happy with my mystery box.

I bought one because I wanted to try some of the other lines. Also, the mystery nature of the box will help me hone my CCS and rod building skills.

The first blank I pulled out of the box was labeled 43 which is an SM MB662. I was very pleased with it after flexing it they way I do on all my new blanks prior to actual testing. I ended up finding five of them in the box. I was pleasantly surprised to see a two piece in there as well.

For traversing the catalogue; the first number GENERALLY tells you the series. Keep in mind some may be older or custom orders that aren't in the catalog.

#starts with:
8/08= X-ray/X-ray slow jig
6= HM Bass (with exception of a few drop shot/"predator" patterns
7= HM Salmon Steelhead
3= IM (with exception of a few popping and spinning patterns)
4= IM Salmon Steelhead
blank(just two numbers)= SM
0= Delta

There are more for Fly and Salt water but I believe the mystery boxes were generally freshawater.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2023 01:16PM

Ray,

Here's a link to our master blank list -

[northforkcomposites.com]

Search by pattern.

For example, if you received blank is 350.87, this means that it is blank pattern 350, but extended to 87 inches.

Best,
Aleks

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 22, 2023 02:33PM

If you don’t mind me asking, how much did the mystery cost?

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2023 02:40PM

Michael,

They were $500 for a box of 25 blanks.

Best,
Aleks

Michael Tarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you don’t mind me asking, how much did the
> mystery cost?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2023 03:19PM

$20 a blank pretty good deal.
Norm

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 22, 2023 03:27PM

Thank you for the master blank list

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: March 22, 2023 05:00PM

Yep very happy

Alex, THANK YOU very much for the master list

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2023 05:01PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2023 06:25PM

Thanks for the master blank list Alex.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster