I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Show and Tell.
Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 05:58PM

I wanted to show y’all a pic of my current build and show how nice this Fuji SBPULSMPS17 reel seat is. The grips are NFC 3k soft touch and the rod is the NFC Fast Glass APFG745-1. The reel seat and grips have the same soft touch coating that feels like velvet in the hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2023 06:53PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Show and Tell.
Date: March 19, 2023 06:04PM

Has anyone ever used weight strips to balance a rod? I had these sitting around in my garage and figured they’d work fine for adding some more weight to the rear.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 19, 2023 06:16PM

I never add weight to a build. For one thing, I do value aesthetics, not over function, but this just doesn't fit with my values.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2023 06:48PM

I believe in butt weighted rods for certain techniques, but my rods have weight adjustable butt caps. Your method looks very interesting and should be perfect as long as you're sure the weight will always be needed. You seem to be sure and I say go for it.

Date: March 19, 2023 07:06PM

I usually don’t add lead weights to my rods. This one was just too tip heavy after dry fitting the components and I want this build to balance closer to horizontal during the retrieve.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 09:58PM

If those were my only option, I would’ve glued them inside the end of the blank. But, if all options are on the table, I think I’d go with Lynn’s idea.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: March 20, 2023 07:45AM

I plan to use this rod specifically for fishing chatterbaits so I won’t need the versatility of the adjustable butt.

Taped up the handle and covered those weights. This 7’4 rod now floats in my hand! Feels like a much shorter rod now that its balanced.

Date: March 20, 2023 07:56AM

I decided to build on the spine… I know this is highly debated topic but after checking and bending, over-and-over again, it just felt right.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2023 10:07AM

Is there a window under the reel seat also,near the trigger?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 20, 2023 11:25AM

Michael Tarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I decided to build on the spine… I know this is
> highly debated topic but after checking and
> bending, over-and-over again, it just felt right.

That’s the beauty of building your own rods. You can build it however you wish.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 20, 2023 11:55AM

Looks good! Nice clean look!

Date: March 20, 2023 12:23PM

Dennis, there is a window on the bottom.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2023 03:52PM

Michael, beautiful clean work. Seeing those soft touch grips in a picture on a rod, has me intrigued.

A few of questions for those that have used the NFC soft touch grips?

How long have you had a set of them in service?

How often do you use the rod (s) you have them on?

And ..... do they show any signs of wear after being in service for a while?

Basically I am wondering if the show wear, and if so, does the wear end up looking like an EVA grip that shows wear by getting shiny?

Oh and just a mention..... I assume the window in the bottom is the same as the one on top, in that it is exposing the insert, and not the blank. Nothing at all wrong with that, Just kind of mentioning it in case some are confused as to what the bottom window exposes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2023 06:36PM

The day NFC put the soft touch grips on the market I bought a dozen sets, half of them casting the other half spinning (IPS) and have been using them ever since. Almost all of my personal rods have carbon fiber grips, and I have built a lot of rods using them for other Serious fishermen. I find them extremely durable and very comfortable. I have not noticed any wear or tear on them; they still look brand new. I’m retired and live on the water and thus fish all the time, so they get a lot of use.
Norm

Date: March 20, 2023 10:24PM

The bottom window on the reel seat shows the carbon insert not the blank.

The grip on the left, I would guess, has 30hrs of use. The grip on the right is new. I would say the older grip is more tacky and a tad duller looking. The older grip has been in use since February of 2021. I’m happy with them.

Date: March 23, 2023 05:50PM

Static guide placement?

Date: March 23, 2023 05:51PM

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 23, 2023 07:35PM

If the weight is glued inside the blank, it's in there forever. The method used makes it "possible" to remove the weight in the future by only sacrificing the fighting butt.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 23, 2023 08:14PM

If you feel the need to add a weight, spent brass bullet casings can be custom weighted and then taped to get a tight fit inside the butt without gluing them in. Then slip the end cap over it.

Date: March 24, 2023 12:24PM

I’m happy with the balance of the rod even if it adds more to the overall weight. The added weight and the rod being balanced makes it feel lighter than before, I’m sure you know how this works. I’m not sure if I’d ever want to remove the added weight to make it tip heavy, not sure when that would be necessary.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster