I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Recommendation
Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2023 05:57PM

Good Afternoon guys,

My dad would like a 9’0”, 4-wt fly rod and I was hoping to get some advice into which direction would be best as I don’t have much experience building fly rods. He is looking for an overall general use rod for smaller to mid sized streams, and primarily tossing size 12-16 dry flies and nymphs.

He is interested in either the NFC LMX FAF904, or the F904 Classic because he’s looking to only spend about $130 for the blank. From my research, it appears that the consensus is the LMX is a bit faster that what the ratings show, but can be compared to an NRX in terms of quality. The classic is more of a true - weight rated rod and comparable to the old IMX Pros.

I’m hoping to get some advice on deciding between the LMX and the Classic from those more experienced than I.

Thank you everyone for your wealth of knowledge and willingness to put up with a rookie builder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Recommendation
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 18, 2023 07:21PM

Have the classic and Gama Alpha. Alpha is more on the moderate side and very light. Classic a touch faster, heavier and more powerful. They are both very nice casters. Can’t help with the FAF 904.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 11:49AM

I just made an LMX 9' 5wt. It is a very fast rod and prefers a line that is 1/2 overweight. I would not recommend LMX to someone who does not want or like a fast rod. I have not cast them, but from what I have heard, I would say go with a Classic or spend a bit more and get the Gamma Alpha.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 11:56AM

The F904 is my recommendation. I have built a number of them for customers and fish one myself.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 01:52PM

I agree with Phil, the blanks however remind me much more of the original more modern GLX patterns which I like vs the early IMX rods which were not one of my favorites. There was a night and day difference between the two.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2023 07:42PM

Thank you, gentlemen. I passed the info along and he decided to go with a St Croix C4F904-4 since he wanted a colored blank.

But based on the input, I ended up getting a F904 for myself. It’ll be a good addition to my RevF662wt and an Orvis Clearwater 8’6” 5wt.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 08:28PM

That St. Croix is a good blank. I had a late friend grab one of mine when he wrecked the leader on his Sage at the top of a really nice run. He assumed it was my Thomas and Thomas and remarked how nice that brand fishes. I saw no need to disturb his cosmos with a clarification. I selected it for the build because it had a similar action to the rod he thought he was holding.

Spencer, I never was able to learn to enjoy my IMX and swapped out of it to buy a Horizon II.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 20, 2023 12:36AM

By St. Croix you mean a blank from Rod Geeks?

I was looking at the Rod Geeks site and most of their fly rod offerings seem sold out. I wonder what is going on?

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2023 07:19AM

david taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By St. Croix you mean a blank from Rod Geeks?
>
> I was looking at the Rod Geeks site and most of
> their fly rod offerings seem sold out. I wonder
> what is going on?

Yes, RodGeeks blank. I saw that a lot of their fly rods were out of stock too. Hopefully it’s just due to builders trying to squeeze something in before the spring arrives.. I sent an email to RodGeeks asking for an update or if the line is being discontinued because their site won’t accept an email to be notified when they’re in stock. I will provide an update if I hear back from them.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 20, 2023 09:24PM

If you call St. Croix they will likely transfer you to Deb S. who handles Rod Geeks questions with outstanding service.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster