I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat High Build Original (dryer time)
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 09:20PM

I just finished putting on the first coat. My wife decided now was a good time to inform me she’s not real big on the dryers running through the night (worried about fire hazard) It was 8:00 when I finished. I’m thinking it’ll be set enough to turn the dryers (2 rods) off in 3 hours? Or, should I make her a pallet in the storage building? :)

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat High Build Original (dryer time)
Posted by: Wallace coulter (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2023 09:59PM

Make her a nice comfy pallet.:-) 3-4 hours should be enough I would think if it’s high build.

Date: March 17, 2023 10:05PM

Thanks!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 18, 2023 12:08AM

Daryal,
Introducing the “wife” and “fire hazard” aspects of rod building certainly may jeopardize some standard rod building protocol and procedures. But if you purchased your curing motors here in the US, they had to conform to quite stringent laws to avoid any possible problems. I have absolutely no problem running my curing motors overnight and I sleep like a rock!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 08:32AM

Daryal:
I have been using Flex Coat High Build for many years, if mixed correctly and dried in 70 -75 degrees, and rotating 3 to 4 hours should be good to go, I leave it for another 24 hours to cure completely.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 18, 2023 09:02AM

Daryl,
Here is an easy solution to your problem.

Place your rods and dryers in a cabinet.

Then, add a fire suppression system to the cabinet that will activate in the case of a 300 degree elevation in temperature and then both you and your bride can sleep with no worry about fires ever again.

--
Or you add a 4x12 foot outbuilding that is at least 200 feet from any other structures with heat and air conditioning and place your dryer in that building. In case of a fire let it burn to the ground, collect the insurance payment and build another one and again sleep well through the night.

There is always a solution for any sort of problem.

Neither solution is necessarily a sensible or necessary solution but it would solve your problem.

==============================
But, the best solution of all is to get up 2 hours before your normal rising time and go to your building area and apply finish and put the rods on the dryer and let it spin for the hour before you leave for the day. Then, assuming that you bride is at home during the day - that she may also be out of the house - keep an eye on the dryer. Assuming that this person is going to be around through the day that person can check on the rods from time to time. If there is any sort of an issue - make sure that that person knows where the power switch is so that the power can be turned off in the case of an observed emergency.

Take care and sleep well.

Date: March 18, 2023 10:16AM

Thank you gentlemen!

Update: She slept like a baby in the shed! :)

Kidding, of course! The finish was plenty set in 3.5 hours! Going to clean up any flaws this morning and get the second coat on so I don’t have to worry about it again.

Date: March 18, 2023 12:09PM

I should also mention that she broached the topic of enclosing our patio this morning. Even though it's just the two of us, and we eat at the bar 99% of the time, she's not too crazy about my building rods on the dining room table, and having dryer(s) setup on the mantle. The patio is around 30-40 foot long and 10-15 foot wide. It would definitely be nice to not have to set everything up every time I get ready to build a rod. The other option she brought up was to get another storage building and set it up beside the current one and run power to it.

She's as much of a penny pincher as I am, if not more so. She must really dislike me building on the dining room table to propose one of two relatively expensive propositions. lol

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 18, 2023 05:43PM

If the room is at normal living conditions, suitable for humans, no "drying tents" or other devices are necessary. Just let them turn at a few RPM's and everything will be fine. If not hard in the morning, just wait a few more hours. Test by checking the epoxy mix you used. Not the rod. This is not rocket science.

I've built a lot of rods and never have used a "drying tent" or anything like it.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 03:47PM

I use Flexcoat finish and don’t use a dryer, I turn the rods by hand. I put on light coats of finish and turn my rods for about 1 1/2 hours and then just let them sit and never had a problem with the finish sagging. Been doing it this way for 40 years. Threadmaster sets upon the same amount of time. Pro Coat takes longer, 2 1/2 hours.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 19, 2023 04:06PM

Get a timer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster