I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Ned rod again...
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: March 16, 2023 09:58PM

I intend to build a rod for Ned rigging. I have a few that work but aren't precise.

I have an NFC MB733, too powerful over all and too stiff in the tip.

NFC APFG 710-1 Very nice, a bit too light in power and wanting something with more sensitivity. Maybe something more progressive. This blank tends to have a hard shutoff point.

United Composites UC66LXF - As a casting rod, it is way over rated. I am no expert , but I did a CCS measurement on it and it boasted quite a but more power than the MB 733 with softer tip.
Maybe this taper/action but .5 to 1.5 Lowe power.

I'm thinking that the blank should be in the high 200 to low 300 IP. Action I'm not so sure of. A light tip for 1/20th jig heads plus Zman TRD up to 1/16th head with TRD is what I will be throwing with a blank that will bend throughout to protect fine wire hooks.

Bass blanks have always perplexed me, they tend to shutoff completely. Where as other methods have actions that continue to bend, but still have a fast tip for light baits.

I'm reading that the Bushido sj/4-8 might be an option. Maybe popping blanks would be better? It's a light presentation, would like to be able to throw 3.5-6 gram total weight. Casting not spinning, have reels that will handle it already.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ned rod again...
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 16, 2023 11:03PM

Phenix UMBX S 700L is a good one to look at.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 16, 2023 11:12PM

I would look at crappie rods.

Date: March 16, 2023 11:50PM

How are these different than the Feather series?

Date: March 16, 2023 11:50PM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would look at crappie rods.

Recommendations?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2023 12:10AM

Derick Jahnke Wrote:
. This blank tends to
> have a hard shutoff point.
>
> I plead ignorance, I am not familiar with the term, "hard shut off point"
Please fill me in..

I fish the Ned lure with a medium light, 81 inch spinning rod.from a CRB- S701ML blank.

Works like a charm.

Regards

Date: March 17, 2023 12:21AM

I like the MHX CS 721 Light Shooter. I like shooting neds under docks and overhanging trees. This 6' rod works great for that.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.79.---)
Date: March 17, 2023 03:23AM

go to the CCS Data Log thread and click on the link in the first line " quick access" Click on the CCS Data Base button at the bottom to open the data base. Look at NFC DS 6100. Don't be fooled by the "medium" power, it's about 300 grams. There are other blanks there around 300 grams or a little less with slower actions if you prefer slower. I think the 6100 would be fine. Go much lower in power and handling good sized fish becomes problematic. Since the 6100 has a pretty fast action, its tip is pretty soft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2023 05:19AM by Michael Danek.

Date: March 17, 2023 07:28AM

Derick Jahnke Wrote:
> How are these different than the Feather series?

Not sure, never handled the feather line. Quick look the feather is cheaper, doesn't mention the toray carbon fiber which may be difference, IDK. UMBX was always the next level down from their K2 blanks.

The UMBX S700L has a light fast action tip, but still has good flex well into the mid section because of its lighter power. Built as casting, ill throw 1/16 neds with the small TRD and it's handled river smallies up into the 20" range. JFYI.. I think they mixed up the butt dia. specs with the 700L casting blank, the 2 I built were just under .400 butt.

The bushido SJ72 4-8 sounds like similar specs on paper. I'm pretty sure ive read the Amtak guys reccomend that blank specific for neds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2023 07:35AM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2023 08:03AM

Rainshadow RX10 ETES 610 MXF fits the bill for the CCS numbers you posted, and is definitely more than worthy of consideration. The RX 10 blanks are very very sensitive blanks. I haven't built a rod on that specific blank, but I have built a rod on a RX9 Eternity 2 version of that blank to use for drop shots. And while it proved to be way under powered for what I was looking for, it's probably an awesome Ned rig rod.

I use it for pan fish, and it will easily cast the size baits you're talking about. Excellent bend deep into the blank for keeping fish on light line and light wire hooks.

Dang near forgot to post the CCS numbers. lol These numbers come directly from Batson IP, 272 grams. AA 74 - 75.

Oh and if you are looking for a little more power, The RX 10 ETES 72ML would be worth considering. IP 343. AA 76 - 77.

I know if I was building a Ned Rig rod I'd go with the 72ML blank. I have caught some nice fish on Ned rigs, and I'd want that extra power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2023 08:09AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 08:19AM

Is the CB701 too light

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 10:31AM

Like David Baylor said...

...some power is welcome when needed in the Ned arena. The reserve power, or as I sometimes think of it as a lock-up point, is important for controlling the rod, line, and fish, when it comes to landing time. Too floppy of a rod and it is more of a challenge to have the control I want when I am ready to lip or net a fish.

IMO, with all due respect to the rod's ability to cast the size/weight lure you want, the reel and drag play a part not often mentioned in protecting light line, light hooks, and acrobatic fish. The reel's drag provides "give and take" for head-shaking and surging fish as much as the rod's tip section and power profile. I'm not quite there yet myself, but I know several veteran fishermen who have minimal drag on the reel at all times. They use their index finger (spinning) or thumb (casting) to adjust the drag as needed for hook sets and playing fish. Most fish IME are lost right at the moment of truth: when the line out of the tip is the shortest, and the rod bend is nearing max. The hook, line and rod are "right there" in terms of the system. The reel drag becomes that back up pressure valve.

Furthermore, and a bit off-topic, even though I go barbless with nearly all my hooks (cranks/trebles, jigs, worms) I have lost few fish once hooked. I've lost them for other reasons, but not because they suddenly spit my barbless hook. (And it is so much easier, faster, and less damaging on the fish to survive the experience; especially when hooked deep or in the gills area.) Even a partially bent hook will still hold.

I like the NFC DS6100 X-Ray (IP = 275; AA 75+) for the reasons Mick stated: Soft tip with reserve power if it comes to that. Also, the NFC DS721 if you want a longer rod (IP =268; AA 75+) would be very good, IMO.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 17, 2023 12:38PM

I should point out that in my opinion one does not want to go any lower in power than the DS 6100 if good-sized fish are likely. I have used it for smallies and when the fish are about 3 pounds and up, i'd like more power. It's called medium power, but not what I would call medium power. I think I remember David Baylor commenting on this blank in another thread-I think he characterized it as a good panfish rod. For Neds, where casting proficiency may take priority over power, it's not a bad choice. But I would not go lower in power. It's listed in the CCS data base as testing IP 275 and 300.

Date: March 17, 2023 12:58PM

I personally don't like the soft dropshot tips for neds or any small bottom contact baits.

Date: March 17, 2023 01:26PM

Some of you guys might like the rod I built my wife for your Ned rig rods, since you want a little more power. It’s a CRB IS601 Medium/Fast. Of course, you may not like her specific rod. It’s pink with lime green wraps. lol

I prefer the lighter power in 6’ shooter because it’s easier to do what I’m doing with it, *shooting*. It handles the bass just fine. I’m sure if I latched onto a 8-10 pounder, I’d rather have more power, but that would be a rare circumstance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2023 01:37PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 01:59PM

David Baylor Wrote:
> Rainshadow RX10 ETES 610 MXF fits the bill for the
> CCS numbers you posted, and is definitely more
> than worthy of consideration. The RX 10 blanks are
> very very sensitive blanks. I haven't built a rod
> on that specific blank,

I have and I really like it for Ned rigs. I was catching 3lb plus smallmouths on Ned’s and stand ups this fall at 30-80 feet (@#$%& Canyon) and had great feel and control. I wouldn’t trade it for another rod in it’s class.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 02:06PM

CRB rods are nice for the money. When I first started building I bought the Mudhole kit and a few IS blanks. Over the next year I built 40 or 50 CRB bass and speck rods. It was a great way to learn the craft without breaking the budget. When I felt comfortable employing the techniques learned mostly on the Rodbuilding board I moved into higher quality components.

After another 50 or so builds using MHX, Rodgeeks, and a couple of other suppliers, I settled mostly on NFC. I've built about 15 NFC rods so far and have another 30 blanks stocked that should get me through the end of this year. My progression has gone from rookie the first year to journeyman the second year. I should be able to graduate to professional rod builder after this year.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: March 17, 2023 02:08PM

I use a NFC DS6107 (Delta) for neds, drop shot, and little swimbaits. I built as a spinning rod. It is good.

The CCS I measured is… 396g AA=74.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2023 03:51PM

Michael, I'm not sure which blank you are referring to, that I commented on. The RX9 Eternity rod that I mentioned above is the only blank I can remember saying is nothing more than a pan fish rod. At least that's how I see rods in that power range. It's a really really good pan fish rod though. lol

The RX9 blank I built has the same listed specs as its' RX 10 version. No way in my estimation do those specs fit a blank of that power. Just for fun, if I were to label that blank based on the way it fishes, I would name it light power, 4 - 8 lb line, and 1/16 to possibly 3/8 oz. And the 3/8 oz would be pushing it. lol

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 04:19PM

I agree with David that those two RX’s are best in the 1/8-1/4 ounce range for jig or shot weight. I use .8 PE braid on mine with 10lb. fluorocarbon leader.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster