I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fighting butt length
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: March 16, 2023 07:42PM

This is for a split grip. What are your thoughts on a 3” fighting butt on a 6’ walleye jigging rod? Using carbon fiber, just not sure if it is too long. The size shorter is out of stock.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fighting butt length
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 16, 2023 08:11PM

I think it would feel clumsy. It's significantly longer than what I use. I make my own and use three half inch cork rings and two 1/8 contrasting rings + 1/4 rubberized on the end, so about 2 inches.. Seems about right to me.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 11:06AM

I agree with Mick...3-inches is more than you likely Need on a 6-foot jigging rod....if what I Need is the same as what you Need. If your goal is Absolute Minimal Weight, that is a different discussion. On that note, there is minimal difference between a 3-inch and 1.5 inch CF grip if weight is your concern.

If it would look unpleasing to your eye to have a 3-inch grip, that is another matter you have to decide. It might be more comfortable for you!? Nevertheless, it will have little to no difference in how the rod performs, IMO. (And your boat-buddies will all want 3-inch fighting butts if you boat a few keepers! Ha!)

I completely understand the desire to use what is in stock, versus waiting. Are there other sources you can access?

Options:

1) Is there a full-length grip that would meet your needs? (Full-length grip with CF is really quite minimal in weight difference to split grip in my experience.)
2) Can you customize the 3-inch grip to cut it down to the size you want? Not everyone can or wants to do this.
3) Would a cork fighting butt offend your eye or performance goals? (I am seeing more and more production and custom grips using multiple materials: cork and CF combinations, for example.)

Just food for thought.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2023 11:41AM

My guess is you're going with a split grip on that short of a rod, for the looks cool factor that split grips have. For that reason I wouldn't go with a 3" fighting butt. There wouldn't be much separation between the rear grip and the fighting butt, and IMO a split grip that is too close together looks out of place.

Then again, I think small fighting butts look out of place as well. But not as out of place as a closely spaced split grip. Choice is yours.

Les presented some good options to consider.

Personally I am thinking your total rear grip length is going to come in around the 6" or 7" length range. If so, my personal choice would be using a full length grip. But I'm not you.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 03:41PM

I fond a shorter fighting butt.
Thanks! Dave

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 06:41PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it would feel clumsy. It's significantly
> longer than what I use. I make my own and use
> three half inch cork rings and two 1/8 contrasting
> rings + 1/4 rubberized on the end, so about 2
> inches.. Seems about right to me.

My go to is basically identical when I make cork butt grips. 2" is perfect!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster