I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aetna foul proof guides
Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 16, 2023 09:22AM

I have a friend that has an old eagle claw rod with these Aetna foul proof guides....One of the guides is missing so I need to purchase one...These are not chrome plated and looks like maybe
a size 12 guide...anyone know where I might find them...The rod is a 5' fiberglass fresh water spinning rod...Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aetna foul proof guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2023 11:23AM

They were made from Monel wire. Great guides but not very hard. Good luck finding one. It's been at least 50 years since they were in production. Might try the buy-sell page as well.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.77.235.---)
Date: March 16, 2023 11:39AM

Like a wire spring guide? I've got those but I live in Oz

I see a lot of old rods for sale on FB marketplace with all sort of wire guides

You might be able to find one there dirt cheap, and rob the guides off it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 16, 2023 03:51PM

Try this business:

[berinsontackle.com]

Date: March 16, 2023 04:18PM

I have an old wire guide about 1/2 inch, but it's not an Aetna. It is of soldered construction. If you strike out and want to see what it looks like email me your cell number and I'll send a photo. No charge if you want it.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: March 16, 2023 04:57PM

I think i have about 100 of what you are looking for my email is open send me a email and i will help you out.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 16, 2023 06:02PM

Bryan

I also have a couple hundred "foul proof" type guides in sizes from 50 to about 6, but I'm not sure they they are Aetna branded. I would need to see a pic of an Aetna guide.

Rog

Date: March 16, 2023 08:12PM

Roger, Google Images has a lot of images of them.

Posted by: Bryan Burbank (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2023 03:55PM

I don't know that they are Aetna guides...they look like them and are not chrome...they are dull looking almost like galvanized...I purchased some on @#$%&...have not received them yet... they look chrome plated which is ok...
I'm doing a favor for a friend...I don't think he would care what guide I use...Thank you for all the replies...If the ones I purchased want work I be in touch...Thanks...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2023 05:32PM

Aetna guides were not plated - they were Monel Wire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster