I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: reel seat location
Posted by: Bob Foster (205.234.62.---)
Date: March 13, 2023 01:48PM

For my own casting rods I measure from the center of my palm to my elbow and subtract 1 to 2 inches. So my rods end up 10 or 11 inches from center of the palmed reel to the end of the fighting butt or rear grip. This length allows me to trap the butt between my forearm and my ribs if required also.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: March 13, 2023 01:55PM

I think I'm just gonna glue my next spinning seat right on the edge of the butt and hope I don't catch any big fish

Bob I like that concept, I'm going to compare that measurement to just holding a rod and seeing where I like the feel of where it lands.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (71.230.42.---)
Date: March 13, 2023 02:15PM

El
Just use one of these...true custom, fully adjustable, and I can garentee these reel seats are 140% more sensitive than something

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2023 02:18PM

Daryl,
What you posted originally was a great starting point and advice.

Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: March 13, 2023 02:33PM

I also let the blank tell me where to put the seat. On some of the fast actions, I don't want the handle too long and make it more moderate in action.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 13, 2023 02:52PM

I never use a tape measure when deciding where a real seat should be. A white China Marker is all I need to layout the grips and realseat. If I were to copy to a file, then I would measure my layout and transfer to paper. We all don't wear size 40 short.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2023 02:55PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2023 02:56PM

Matt that actually made me laugh out loud

That is certainly quite the interesting concept, I'm especially interested in why they don't allow music, or are they making it clear that this is not a musical instrument haha

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2023 03:57PM

Haha. I must of hit my volume button when taking tje screen shot. Drill a few holes in it it might make an ok flute who knows lol

Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.comm1bulkdns.net)
Date: March 13, 2023 10:49PM

Hey guys
I learned a lot on the topic I was asking about. A lot of good input. I was able to talk with my customer today. We will get together and I will get the reel seat positioned on the blank to his liking.
Once again never disappointed when asking for help on this site. I've built quite a few rods but always learning and visit this site daily as I'm a sponge. Never to old to learn.
Thanks again
Rick

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster