I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Star Stellar Lite SG612ISM equivalent
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: March 10, 2023 05:27PM

I was fishing off a jetty today throwing pompano jigs on a Bushido 7'2 6-12 and a friend of mine was throwing jigs on a Star SG612ISM and it's a very cheap rod but jigs a Doc's goof jig perfectly. The biggest thing I noticed is it stays in contact with the jig better then my rods and we were throwing the same weight jig, same braid, and same leader. The guides are lower quality and COF and the butt is too short. I'm hoping someone will have an understanding of blank materials and actions and have an idea of why this blank performed so well for this application. I would like to find a blank that performs the same so that I can build it with higher quality components and to my specifications. I'll be buying the same star rod as they are very affordable and will give me a "control group". I live near Mudhole, American tackle, and Get bit so hopefully they will have what you all recommend and I can compare and get my hands on the blank before purchasing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Star Stellar Lite SG612ISM equivalent
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 10, 2023 07:21PM

IMO thinking that the blank hold all the secrets to your quest can be a mistake, sometimes ergonomics has a lot to do with it, though you think the grip was to short, it may be part of the secret. Take some time if you can, look at the rod. They had the same chance to build the grip as you have and came up with what you see, spend a little time with it in your hand with a reel on, think about the presentation, it may come to you if there was a reason.

Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: March 10, 2023 07:33PM

I see what your saying but alot of what I found was also the opinion of my friend who has fished the blank the last two years or so. The butt section is only 9" which is a little short for the distance casting required. And the guides are COF and could be improved upon. The action of the blank was very different then most of she shimano, st. Croix, Loomis, daiwa, Penn rods, etc.. I've fished as well as the MHX and American tackle rods I've built.

I'm ordering the exact rod he had to fish a while and to compare to blanks in person. I was really suprised to find a rod at that price point that fished a jig that well. It's hard to describe exactly what it was but it just kept contact with the jig better allowing to feel the subtle bites easier. Which may have to do with the tip being a bit slower then my rods.

I'm hoping someone who understands the materials really well will know what blanks are close to this rod. I know it's Graphite IM-7.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 10, 2023 07:46PM

My best guess would be tapers that do and don’t relate to rod materials and specific uses. I avoid blanks made by large offering importers/resellers because my experience is that they don’t fish like they were intentionally designed for the materials they use and trumpet. There is also that “right feel” when casting. They can lack that when working any lure, jig or bait. Sometimes they just don’t flex right with fish. I’ve notice them feeling “clubby” and occasionally “hingey”. I know some anglers who buy inexpensive combo outfits that have that same lack of the “right feel” in how they cast, fish, and fight.

Some vendors sell hundreds of blank models under their banner. I spotted tapers a couple of years ago that appeared to go back to the the days of graphite II and the advent of IM6. Some resellers introduce new series frequently with dozens of models instantly available in each one. I’m skeptical if a designer or small team can so quickly prototype, test, and refine so many blank models while working with factories and suppliers in Asia.

Notice that companies like NFC and Rainshadow introduce new materials and series a few years apart and then a few blank models at a time. I truly believe that Gary Loomis and Mike Thorson are patiently working with their teams to get the tapers correct to both materials and and intended purpose. St. Croix blank series go for years and grow in models over time. Point Blank is an even more conservative example. All Star rods had some iconic designers, including Don Mook. They often focused their lines on specific fisheries. Star Rods and United Composites also built offerings slowly with design and testing teams. It’s not as much the materials and add copy terms as it is design, testing, and refinement, in my opinion. Then, it’s picking and building such a blank to your specific use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2023 08:20PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 11, 2023 12:48PM

Sounds like a 2 power popping rod blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster