I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Show and Tell Friday: Lee Wulff Clone 6 foot 6 weight
Posted by: Bob Foster (205.234.62.---)
Date: March 10, 2023 04:08PM

Have been thinking about sharing a previous build.

This is the 6th and last rod I built during the winter of 2021. I had stumbled on a site that was selling blanks that were acquired by buying out the blank stock on hand in 1982 when an Abu Garcia / Conolon rod factory was shut down. I bought a casting blank, two light casting kits, and a 6 foot 6 wt blank that they were able to discern matched the characteristics of a 6 foot 6 wt one piece rod that was a favorite of Lee Wulff. I found it intriguing that a huge name in fly fishing would pick such a unique rod as his favorite. I did some research as to guides and spacings and built this. He caught 20 pound Atlantic salmon on such a rod which I can't imagine, I would be terrified. But I have caught a lot of grayling and a few rainbows on it and I like it just fine.

tobacco glass blank from abu / conolon
pac bay reel seat
generic agate guide
rec recoil snakes and tip top

The cigar grip came with the blank but it was a challenge to find a seat small enough to recess into it. The walls of the recess were very thin but it is still holding together after a couple of summers and one spell where it bounced around inside an unpadded rod tube with a casting rod I had built for a week of rough gravel roads and lots of bouncing about.

Back when I taped my glue ups...now I babysit them and push them together as needed so I can keep a close eye on all the joints and look for glue "shiners". I was also in "smoosh and wipe" mode with my epoxy at this time and with this build the epoxy squeezed into where the reel foot sits and I had a @#$%& of a time cleaning set epoxy out of the cavity.

Lighter for scale...

Wraps...

Epoxy...

Done and doner...

This rod was my introduction to fly rods and I built it on a whim never knowing the size and depth of the rabbit hole I was teetering on the edge of as far as fly fishing in general. Fast forward one season and I have 5 reels, 4 personal fly rods, much gear, gobs and gobs of casting, some catching and a serious addiction to fly fishing and building predominately fly rods.

Happy Friday to all....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2023 04:08PM by Bob Foster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Show and Tell Friday: Lee Wulff Clone 6 foot 6 weight
Posted by: Terry Bain (---.fidnet.com)
Date: March 10, 2023 07:23PM

Bob,

Beautiful rod and story, thank you. Some addictions are "wonderful".

T Bain
Benton, Ar
'NEVER GIVE UP"

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 10, 2023 07:52PM

Very Nice!

Btw Terry, you're just about 30 minutes from me (Sheridan).

Posted by: Marc Morrone (216.26.121.---)
Date: March 11, 2023 03:41PM

Super cool rod! I love short fly rods - I wish there were more blanks to pick from for them. Nicely done!

Posted by: Bob Foster (207.189.245.---)
Date: March 11, 2023 04:09PM

Thanks all for the kind words,

It is a really fun little rod. Until I built this i hadn't touched a fly rod since i was a teen and even then did not exactly learn much about casting. So I more or less learned to cast on this rod. Joan Wulff made a comment during an interview that Lee taught her to cast the 6 foot rod using an oval cast. Eventually I managed to get the hang of it kinda sorta.

A very fun rod. As I type this I kind of think perhaps I should revisit lines for it as the Joan Wulff Signature 6 weight was a sort of shot in the dark really. I've tried a 4 weight intermediate line on it with a bit of success but the 6 weight Wulff line feels better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster