I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative wrap tension
Posted by: Jody Pierce (---)
Date: March 09, 2023 08:42PM

I've recently started playing around with decorative wraps. I just tried to tie off my first attempt at a basic chevron. I started the first tie off with what I think was pretty good thread tension. I gave it at least 10 wraps before I started cutting the tags. When I cut through the last tag threads, the entire wrap contracted up the blank and took the tie off wraps with it. The pattern stayed pretty much in tact but the wrap shortened by a noticeable amount. Did I use too much tension when creating the wrap? Too little when tying it off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative wrap tension
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2023 09:10PM

What I'm about to say will be a bit hard to understand - you need to use the correct amount of pattern tension, not too much and not too little. So exactly what does that mean? Well, your pattern compression or elongation tends to dictate how much is too little and how much is too much. A more elongated pattern (centers further apart) cannot stand too much tension - the threads will be hard to pack together and tend to slip on each other. A compressed spacing allows more tension without things moving and slipping.

Tie-off tension needs to be snug. I suspect your issue was with too much tension on the pattern threads. Are you laying these threads by hand? If so, you need just enough tension to keep things in place. It's something you'll get a feel for as you go along. If you're trying to wrap the pattern threads off a thread carriage, it's very easy to apply too much tension. I've always done them by hand. It's actually faster and easier.

So in short, your pattern thread tension was likely too much.

Date: March 09, 2023 09:20PM

Thanks, Tom. I wrapped it by hand and was applying pretty aggressive pressure. It was a 4 axis wrap on a large diameter rod. It contracted like a Chinese finger trap when I cut those tags. I'll try going lighter on the tension next time.

Posted by: Yancy Anderson (167.224.180.---)
Date: March 09, 2023 09:59PM

I always put a coat of color preserver on my wraps after finishing the wrap and before cutting the thread. It adds a step but holds the thread to the rod and gives you a little more flexibility with the end wraps. It’s so frustrating to have the thread move after investing three or five hours so the extra time is good insurance for the wrap

Date: March 09, 2023 10:03PM

That's a good tip. Thanks, Yancy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster