I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly guides
Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2023 08:48PM

Over the years I must of built at least 50 fly rods. All my builds have been with snake guides. Working on another fly build and was thinking about the single foot guides. Hoping for some pro's and con's single foot vs snake's. My feeling is the single ft with an insert is going to add weight that would change the dynamics of the blanks action. Maybe i'm over thinking it, who knows. Input is welcome.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2023 10:11PM

Modern ceramics have very thin rings - you won't change much. But there is also the alternative of something like the PacBay Minima single foots with stainless rings. Good compromise. Several companies offer similar guides these days.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 12:14AM

John,
Don’t forget to factor-in the additional weight of thread and epoxy required for a “lightweight” double-foot snake guide. Incredible or infantesimal = you tell me?!?!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2023 06:27AM

Why not consider single foot wire fly guides. They have to be the lightest and they work fine. The only "advantaage" I've heard on snakes is that they pass knots and tangles better than single foot. I've used a rod with single foot guides quite a bit and have had no problems.

If you want to know exactly how the weight of guides is or is not affecting a rod's dynamics then test it for True Natural Frequency.

Date: March 08, 2023 07:17AM

Tom, I saw the Minima Trichrome guides that looks like a good fit. Being unfamiliar with these guides I'm asking for guidance as to which sizes, the build is a 9ft 5wt crb blank

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 08:08AM

I’ve used the Fuji KB / KT Torzite and Seaguide versions on a few recent builds, (size 7 and later size 6) I don’t notice much difference from the weight. Bigger flies and coastal wind you know. Just ordered some Rec CeRecoil single foot guides for a lighter build.

I was originally concerned about tip wrap, but that hasn’t proven the case. I have noticed that a lot of the Euro Nymph rods use snakes on the tip section to allegedly combat this. Ymmv

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2023 08:42AM

John Sansevera Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom, I saw the Minima Trichrome guides that looks
> like a good fit. Being unfamiliar with these
> guides I'm asking for guidance as to which sizes,
> the build is a 9ft 5wt crb blank

I have used the Minima 4 guides on many fly rod projects. Because the actually opening is larger than that on similar sized ceramics, I will typically get down to a size 5 on most mid-weight fly rods. Never had any issue with line or connection passage.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 10:49AM

I have used both traditional two foot snake guides and wire single foot. I have not noticed any real difference in fishing them. Single foot may freeze up a bit quicker in cold weather, if that is an issue. Single foot of course only require half the number or wraps, though some will contend you should employ a Forhan locking wrap on single foot guides, which is no big deal.

Look at the Recoil or Hopkins and Holloway single foot guides.

SzmutnI Ákos, the renowned owner and designer of Stickman Rods, has done much research and testing of guides in his rod building. Here is what he has to say about guides: [www.stickmanrods.com]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 11:56AM

I build only fly rods and have built 100's. I have not used a double foot snake guide in 15 years! For rods up to 6-7 weight I use single foot wire guides (available in two weights) and above those I use single foot minima's..

If you chose to use single foot guides, be sure to employ the locking loop.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: March 08, 2023 02:23PM

Add a couple of more than you would double foot snakes. It will cast better. For the lightest tip top consider using a Fuji Torzite KG Arowana 6 or 7. Lighter than a REC, or other Fly large loop tip tops.

Date: March 08, 2023 03:07PM

Thanks to all that replied, I will take some recommendations and employ them.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2023 07:56PM

>>I build only fly rods and have built 100's. I have not used a double foot snake guide in 15 years! For rods up to 6-7 weight I use single foot wire guides (available in two weights) and above those I use single foot minima's..

If you chose to use single foot guides, be sure to employ the locking loop.

Good advice, IMHO

Date: March 08, 2023 09:49PM

I use the locking loop on all single foot guide builds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster