I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Live and learn.
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 05:12PM

I built a rod a while back, and decided to put a single turn inlay with metallic thread about five turns in from the start of the wrap at each guide foot. I was using NCP thread. I was happy with the results, so I decided to do it again with the next rod. This time however, I used the metal thread once again for the single inlay, but used regular thread for the wrap without the use of color preserver.

When it was time for epoxy, I was thrilled at the result until I realized that once the opaque thread became translucent, it exposed the little tag ends of the metallic thread that had been locked down by the wrap thread! So all the effort I went through to form one perfect circle of metallic thread at each guide turned out to be a perfect little circle with two little arms instead! Fortunately, I did my best to place them at the underside of the rod, so it's not at all obvious when viewing the rod from above as one would do when fishing the rod. And it still looks really good.

BUT......lesson learned. :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Live and learn.
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 06, 2023 06:12PM

Ernie, We all have a story about the learning process. And each of us reading your story are shaking our heads, acknowledging it while recalling our own personal favorite mistake of our own.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 06, 2023 07:00PM

If I liked the way it looked I don't think those 2 little arms would bother me much. Wouldn't stop me from doing it again. Point of interest.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 06, 2023 07:39PM

Ernie
Thanks for sharing that, valuable information.

If it really looks good be proud of your work, I'll bet no one will notice unless you tell them. I have been known to keep a secret. I promise I won't tell, but I can't vouch for the rest of the forum.

Have fun

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2023 08:01PM

That's what I was thinking John. You would probably have to point it out to someone for them to see it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 08:13PM

Ernie,
Good post.
For myself, I make a point to do all of my thread locks, main thread or trim thread on the side of the rod that is normally not seen by the user

I do this for the very same reason you mention.

The first time that I did it, I thought that it would be a big deal to users and or critics of the rod.

But, in actuality, I have never heard a single word about it, since people simply don't see it during normal use.

Best wishes

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: March 07, 2023 02:01AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ernie,
> Good post.
> For myself, I make a point to do all of my thread
> locks, main thread or trim thread on the side of
> the rod that is normally not seen by the user
>
> I do this for the very same reason you mention.
>
> The first time that I did it, I thought that it
> would be a big deal to users and or critics of the
> rod.
>
> But, in actuality, I have never heard a single
> word about it, since people simply don't see it
> during normal use.
>
> Best wishes

Roger, there are those who will see it but not say anything and there are those who will not see it but will wonder why that rod looks a little better than that one over there.

Guy Taylor
Lucerne Valley, CA

Posted by: Terry Bain (---.fidnet.com)
Date: March 07, 2023 10:38AM

Ernie,

Not a "mistake", just a learning experience. We've all had them and you know what, we'll continue to have "learning experiences". Thanks for being "transparent".

tmbain@sbcglobal.net
Benton, Ar
"NEVER GIVE UP"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster