I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seaguide casting kit from ARW?
Posted by: Fon Tze (---)
Date: March 05, 2023 07:20PM

Hey fellas, has anyone used the Seaguide casting guide sets from ARW?

Wondering about the 7-6-5.5 reduction as I have been using 10-8-4 for the vast majority of freshwater builds.

Makes sense to choke it down fast but wonder with a shorter height would require closer positioning to the reel to keep the line off the blank and more belly guides for the same reason?

Figured on testing the waters here before buying a set to satisfy my curiousity.

Thank you!

-Fon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seaguide casting kit from ARW?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 05, 2023 07:36PM

NFC/Edge Rods sells the same set in their store.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 05, 2023 07:59PM

I built with a set of the Blu-Ti ones. I liked them at first and I have had really good service from ARW. The more I’ve used them, the more I’ve become aware of some impaired casts with lures that aren’t both dense and streamlined. I do get some noise near the stripper guide when casts aren’t flying well. I have gone back to Fuji RV6 based systems. A couple of the runners have also started to bend. One was first bent by TSA, but the other one wasn’t. None have snapped, but they seem to be getting more malleable. I might have a little too much space to the stripper guide, but the line path is really good. I’d like to be more positive as I do really like several SeaGuide components. Again, it might be me more used to building for the higher RV6.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 05, 2023 08:58PM

If you’re using a low profile baitcaster, I could see where you may need to shorten the distance to the first guide, but it should be easy enough to test if you have some spare guides of that size around.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 06, 2023 06:17PM

Set it up in one of the configurations and then put it to the load test. If It stays off the blank then you are good to go. If the spacing doesn't meet your needs then adjust as necessary.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 08:04PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NFC/Edge Rods sells the same set in their store.

And they are on sale now.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2023 08:22PM

To get the line in a more straight path toward the tip. A smaller and not tall butt guide will need to be farther away from the reel. The taller guides with small rings like the Fuji RV 6 are higher framed so they can be put closer to the reel and create that straight line path through the runners to the tip. Typically you want your butt guide about 20" to 21" from the face of the reel. I have bent Fuji Ti framed KB and KT guides, but bent them back in place. I am using Seaguide on more rods now and have not had any issues, as of yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster