I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ghost wraps
Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 03:22PM

Josh - the use of acetone in this application was in discussion with the epoxy formulator (Andy Dear) - and used in a very specific way.

Nathaniel - I (Back Creek Custom Rods - a sponsor here), custom color anodize titanium guides and offer them to the rod building community - you can check them out on www.customcoloredguides.com - will be adding powder coated guides to the site very soon to have a lower price-point with 316 stainless guides and colors like red that we can't do with anodization

Herb / Mark - I did not prep that specific foot as it did not really need it. The pic with finish is after one coat - with the final guide there is no appreciable "bump", etc. Sometimes I will prep them and then anodize, however it can be hit.miss, I think due to the grinding stone transfering steel from prep of other guides into the titanium and then it not anodizing properly on the feet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2023 03:42PM by Michael Ward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Ward (107.123.49.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 03:24PM

A pic of one of the guides once fully complete

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 03:51PM

Whatever you did looks awesome!

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 03:53PM

thank you...

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 04:31PM

Michael

A serious word of caution for you from hands on (literally) experience with clear wraps and acetone. Acetone is seriously bad for you - it can find its way through your skin bringing with it whatever chemicals Gen 4 contains. And while you might not react badly to those chemicals today, tomorrow could be different. So, protect yourself with appropriate PPE and work in a well ventilated area. After a lot of years working with epoxy and acetone I finally had an allergic reaction to finish epoxy resin, which reaction can be more than uncomfortable.

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 10:13PM

<Josh - the use of acetone in this application was in discussion with the epoxy formulator (Andy Dear) - and used in a very specific way.

Doesn't mean he's correct

I only use acetone for clean up

There were fibreglass companies that I worked for that wouldn't supply thinners for repairs, to thin down gelcoats so it will spray nice through a spray touch up gun.
So I was forced to use acetone
Looked good once the swimming pool got loaded onto the truck

But customers would complain because after a while in the sun it would change colour

Other companies would take my advice and get a 20 ltr container of thinners from where they buy the resin and gelcoats from.
They cared & understood the science.

I'm going to do another translucent wrap soon, you can use thread finish of medium viscosity and will work just fine.
If you're concerned about air, this can be easily treated by using a straw and gently blowing on it, your warm breathe takes care of them.

I see you added trim bands, nice touch if you can't see tie offs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2023 10:27PM by Josh Bryan.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2023 10:25PM

- I trust the advice of the guy that co-formulated ThreadMaster and now Gen4. He does not carte-Blanche recommend it for potentially weakening reasons as stated but he says if your going to cut it with something (that’s generally available to rod builders) to use acetone and suggests it only as a first coat like this. That said a fly rod builder that turns out a fair quantity of rods many with ghost wraps has been exclusively thinning all his coats with great results - short and long term.

- As to using a straw - that unfortunately won’t get bubbles out from under the tunnels which was the issue - if it was in the outer finish it would be a non issue with gen4

- And no, no visible tags as they are all pulled towards the center of the trim band for that specific reason…..

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 10:35PM

Well, if it's fine in long term, by all means

My experience suggests otherwise

I had no issues just using straight finish.
I mainly use the thinner stuff for light rods, but when i used the thicker stuff It still did the job.

Acetone is a solvent

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster