I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ghost wraps
Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: March 05, 2023 10:20AM

Wanted to say thanks to those that had posted or provided input in the past on silk ghost wraps. My first time doing them and they came out great

Hitena AAA “natural” color silk and I thinned my first coat of a Gen4 finish 1 part resin / 1 part hardener / 1 part acetone. Also flooded the wraps with acetone before applying finish which helped with bubbles in the tunnels. Follow on coats were normal “strength” Gen4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2023 11:04AM by Michael Ward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ghost wraps
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 02:41AM

Very impressive! Any difficulty working with such fine thread?

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.65.---)
Date: March 06, 2023 08:16AM

doesn't the acetone eat the blank's finish if applied at full strength to the wrap?

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 08:51AM

Anodized Alps Ti guides are killer. They give off an 'aura" or glow when using them in direct sunlight.

Posted by: jon edwards (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 09:52AM

That looks awesome!

Posted by: jon edwards (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 09:52AM

That looks awesome!

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 11:43AM

Ever try Perma Gloss for Ghost Wraps?

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 06, 2023 12:24PM

Jeffrey D Rennert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very impressive! Any difficulty working with such
> fine thread?

I work with Maderia & A pretty much exclusively, so it was not too much of an issue for me - it was a bit finer but did not have any major problems with wrapping or managing to walk up the feet, etc...

Rick Handrick wrote:
>doesn't the acetone eat the blank's finish if applied at full strength to the wrap?

I did not in this case - blank was painted by Don Shafar at Backbone - he uses automotive grate paints. I did noticed perhaps a bit of "crazing" under one foot, but no other issues or softening of paint or such... I just did a quick "flood" with a qtip to pre-wet the silk and also flow under the tunnel to get rid of bubbels and then I flooded heavily with the water-consistency epoxy.

Mark Brasset wrote:
> Anodized Alps Ti guides are killer. They give off an 'aura" or glow when using them in direct sunlight.

agree - really like the look - I was back and forth on doing this rod wth titanium anodized or powder coated and decided on titanium....

Les Cline wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------
> Ever try Perma Gloss for Ghost Wraps?

I have not personally - these were my 1st ghost wraps... I was wondering if Permagloss would work

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 12:38PM

There is no need for the application of acetone! Thin epoxy will accomplish the same thing without the risk associated with acetone.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 12:59PM

Your first attempts at Ghost Wraps look good to me, Michael.

Perma Gloss is a little different animal than other finishes, but in no way inferior to any. (You might need to do three coats to equal one coat of other Light or Thin epoxy brands, for example.)

On a slightly different note but related: It strikes me that many times I evaluate my work in two different Modes: 1) Close inspection, where every tiny imperfection can be observed: and 2) At fishing length, where I am watching my
rod tip, line movement....or the clouds. This is the aesthetics versus function decision. Like you, I would like both to be in play at the same time.

In general, I don't thin my finishes. I select a finish that will give me the coat(s) I want from the get-go. Perma Gloss is one that will yield a very thin, penetrating, and transparent finish.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 06:31PM

I did the acetone thinning based on recommendation from a well accomplished builder who uses the same finish (Gen4) and does this style wrap quite often with great results, and also in consultation the the epoxy’s formulator. The first guide I did it was challenging to get the air bubbles out of the tunnels. I found pre-wetting the wraps with acetone and immediately flooding with the thinned finish gave the desired results (had also read about pre-wetting on an older post here). Perhaps it’s not require but I’ve seen others using just a thin finish with less than acceptable results - and these turned out well so…

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: March 06, 2023 06:52PM

Very cool looking.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 11:01AM

As stated above, straight application of Acetone could harm the blank finish or even the blank wall, as it is a fairly strong chemical. I would suggest you use DNA (denatured alcohol instead) and don't believe you need to first coat threads with a solvent as a first coating with a sufficiently DNA thinned epoxy will do the job. If you do want to first soak the threads, you could so so with DNA or even rubbing alcohol.

Posted by: Nathaniel Miller (136.144.43.---)
Date: March 20, 2023 08:35PM

Wow! I've never looked into ghost wraps but this really makes me want to try it. Those guides look terrific too.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 20, 2023 08:44PM

Here is the ultimate ghost rap:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Josh Bryan (103.231.89.---)
Date: March 20, 2023 10:49PM

Acetone is not a good thinner

I've been in the fibreglass industry for a long time

Proper thinners built for this product should only be used

Thinning it down with acetone makes resins porous and degrades the quality in every way
Might look OK initially, but see how it looks given some time in the elements

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2023 07:56AM by Josh Bryan.

Posted by: Nathaniel Miller (172.98.33.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 11:31AM

Wow! I've never looked into ghost wraps but this really makes me want to try it. Those guides look terrific too. Where did you find them in that teal color?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 12:50PM

Michael,
I noticed that on the wrap closest - you didn't prep the guide feet - just jumped directly on to toe foot. Ten the finish covered it all up.
How come you don't prep your guide feet. Might be OK with white silk - but opaque colors would scream at you.
Or - do you only not prep with these type of wraps?
Herb

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: March 21, 2023 02:17PM

I don't think you can prep the end of that anodized foot. It'll show silver through the wrap.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: March 21, 2023 02:59PM

Yup - you're correct.
Herb

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster