I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5wt fly rod
Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2023 08:13AM

Good morning all, I have a friend who's wife wants to learn how to fly fish. She is totaly new to fishing but very interested in the fly fishing aspect of our sport. I build alot of fly rods for salmon and steelhead but not to smaller rods that would probably fit what she would need. Our area is mostly small streams with trout being in the stock size to 16 or 18 inches. I'm guessing a 5wt rod but not sure of length. I see a CRB 5wt 9' blank but am wondering if it's too long.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5wt fly rod
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: March 04, 2023 08:45AM

That's a standard length.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.197.193.---)
Date: March 04, 2023 10:00AM

John
Do your friend's wife a favor and consider the CTS Vintage 9' 0" #5 for her.
She will love it.

It is also in shorter lengths if your local fly shops recommend a shorter rod considering the streams are small.
You shuld seek local knowledge from someone who knows the area before you decide on length.

Two of my fishing buddys fish the Vintage for that size trout.

If you want more info - contact me for RB.Org Member pricing
Herb
CTS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2023 09:47PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2023 02:18PM

She may well handle an 8 or 8-1/2 footer easier than a 9 footer.

Date: March 04, 2023 05:59PM

I was thinking the 9 footer might be a little too long for her and our local streams.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 04, 2023 06:12PM

Batson makes the Unity 8 ft. 5wt. in 2 and 4 piece versions, sweet rods for not a lot of money, I've fished a 7 1/2 ft, 3 piece, 4 wt. for 20 years.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2023 06:22PM

I’ll second the CTS Vintage, length depends on size of rivers you are fishing in, I’m in NY also, my email is not hidden if you log in, feel free to contact me directly. I may know the water it will be used on.
Bill.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2023 10:04PM

8 1/2 would be great to learn on and more of a general size that has multi uses, not just for small streams. It really is about technique, where if she learns on a shorter rod it may limit her overall conceptions about casting and everything else that goes with it. When she needs to cast farther because of different water, she will have to learn all over again with a short blank. Just my thoughts. I do like those CRB fly blanks. Herb's blanks are Cadillac's and really good also. With the CTS if it doesn't work out with her, you have a great rod for yourself.

Date: March 06, 2023 04:20PM

"...if she learns on a shorter rod it may limit her overall conceptions about casting and everything else that goes with it. When she needs to cast farther because of different water, she will have to learn all over again with a short blank."

I started fly fishing in 1968. I essentially spent most of my fly fishing time back then on the Esopus Creek in the NY Catskill mountains. Don't let the name fool you...it's a pretty big river. So I had the luxury (necessity actually) of actually being able to fly cast without interference. The standard length fly rod then was 9', and the standard length fly rod today is 9'. Yes, you can find them both shorter and longer, but the fact remains.

If you're going to get into the game, then learn with the standard equipment. Once you are adept enough with that equipment, you can use that skill to get the job done with whatever rod you have in your hand. Actually, I have seen multiple times skilled fly casters drop the rod and use only their hands to send the line down the road. But if you don't have the clearance to actually traditionally cast because of brush or whatever, you might have had the good sense to practice your roll cast. I'd much rather roll cast with a 9' rod than an 8' rod.

Date: March 06, 2023 06:34PM

Ernie I agree with your comments. I fished the Beaverkill years ago, along with the Willowwemac, also the Esopus,Big Indian, little housick, pantherkill and just about every stream within 100 miles of westchester.
i'm going with rhe white 9ft from MH

Date: March 07, 2023 08:34AM

John...my uncle owned a small hunting and fishing shop in Mt. Tremper, NY in Ulster County when I was a kid. At that time I lived in Bronx, NY. City kid with a country heart.

Ultimately, I lived in Westchester County (Mt. Pleasant and Tarrytown) for twenty-five years or so. I know those areas. Good choice on the 9'.

Date: March 07, 2023 09:00AM

Ernie small world, I grew up in Hawthorne from 1964 to 2016 ,

Date: March 07, 2023 09:04AM

Did you have a relative that fished Kensico by the name Gordon

Date: March 07, 2023 06:53PM

John...Anyone with my last name is not related to me! Only a couple left in the world.

I had a good friend in Hawthorne, Anthony (Tony) Dellacroce, who lived on Linda Ave or Street...I don't remember. He lived in a beautiful house with a scalloped roof that he essentially built himself. Actually, he also built the house that I lived in in Mt. Pleasant! It's been a while since I visited Kensico.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 10:52AM

9 ft. 5 wt is fine unless fishing small streams with lots of trees.

How much do you want to spend on the blank or total build?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster