I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendation
Posted by: Adam Klein (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 03, 2023 11:45AM

Hi, I am looking for recommendations on a blank to make into a spinning rod mainly for tossing soft plastics. Looking for a 2-piece, MF, L, around 6'6" plus or minus a few inches. What are your favorites?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendation
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 03, 2023 12:34PM

Look at the Rainshadow Revelation series and their RX6 series. They both are excellent blanks and I think there are some two piece blanks there that will fit your requirements.

I am really tempted to ask if you're looking for a spin jig Light, a popping rod Light, a mag bass Light, or a drop shot Light, but I won't.

Look at the lure weight recommendations to best find the power that best matches what you plan to do with the rod.

Posted by: Adam Klein (---.sub-174-212-228.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2023 12:48PM

I checked out the Rainshadow recommendations and they are close but still nothing that fits exactly what I'm looking for. As far as SJ, DS, etc, aren't these just marketing terms to kind of steer customers in a direction? This rod will be an all purpose, probably used for several fishing types and techniques, not one specifically. Any other recommendations that are similar? TIA

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: March 08, 2023 01:12PM

rod geeks C266MLF2 6'6" ML F 4 - 10 lb 1/8 - 3/8 oz 5 0.473" 2.24 oz might be an option for you, depending on how heavy your soft plastics are. I have the St. Croix 6' casting equivalent, and the St. croix 3S66MLF-2 6-1/2' that fish well for me.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2023 01:21PM

I have the 1 piece RodGeeks C266MLF that I use for trout on streams and ned rigs, weightless Texas rigged finesse worms and other finesse soft plastics. It’s a great rod for the price. Not the most sensitive but it’s also a cheaper blank. Action is great. I’ve caught up to 20” browns and 3lb bass on the rod. Handled everything fine.

Equivalent store bought would be a St Croix Premier 6’6” ML if you have a shop nearby to get a sense of the action and power.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 01:32PM

Adam,
what weights and plastics ya throwing ?what's the target species? Your looking for modfast?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2023 03:48PM

Matt asked the $10,000 question. Gotta give way more specifics if you want to get a good suggestion. Hard to believe the Rainshadow Revelation REVS 68 ML REVS 68 M two piece blanks wouldn't fit what you're looking for, depending on how heavy of weights and the type of cover you plan on fishing.
s
And no, SJ, DS, etc. aren't really marketing ploys. The SJ blanks I have experience with generally have a little faster action (softer tip) than an MB of the same listed power, and are a little less powerful than an MB type blank. DS, (drop shot) blanks have faster actions still and soft to very soft tips. They generally don't have a back bone of any length. The flex well into the mid section of the blank under the load of a fish.

Different designations have different characteristics. Of course they'll crossover somewhat, except for a drop shot blank. They will handle multiple tasks, as long as the weight of the bait is paid attention to, and I certainly wouldn't use a Texas rigged soft plastic on a drop shot blank. At least not of the power of the drop shot rods I've built.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: March 08, 2023 05:52PM

Adam
CTS AIR 6'6" for 3/16 - 1/2 Oz.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: Adam Klein (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 08, 2023 07:53PM

Thank you all for the suggestions and clarification on the different styles of blanks. I am leaning toward the NFC FW 702-2(IM), Rod Geeks C266MLF2 6'6", or MHX SJ842-2. I would love to build on a CTS blank but unfortunately in this case it is a little out of the customer's budget. Maybe for my next personal build. Thanks all.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 08, 2023 11:40PM

I was gonna reccomend the MHX SJ782-2. The SJ781 IF they had it on 2pc. In my hands they are more sensitive then any of the ML SC2 graphite st croixs I own BUT all those rods are factory and old so can't speak for any improvements in the current C2 blanks.

The FW 702 sounds like it's way lighter powered than the other 2 blanks ya mentioned. Ya can look in the CCS database to see if it's listed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2023 11:41PM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---)
Date: March 10, 2023 11:31AM

CRB 2 Piece Color Series Rod Blanks

Since its going to travel a lot, Why not the above series?
multiple colors-
I built several of these for grandkids and have given a few away. I have had no complaints on breakage-

Even my wife when she was able to fish with me has one still.

They are inexpensive, not MHX's but what the hey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster