I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Blank for 1/8-5/16oz + plastics - What is Medium in IP? IP = what rating?
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 04, 2023 02:26PM

The original Cabela’s XML series was built by G Loomis. I still have one. I don’t know if Gary had any hand in their tapers. They are thinner diameter blanks and really very close in diameter to what LCI did just prior with Gary and Don Mook. Mine doesn’t cast very well relative to other rods in its spectrum. It has a hinge point about a foot behind the tip and another in front of the fore grip. This isn’t rare for thinner two-piece rods. It is actually very sweet at fighting fish, though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2023 05:23PM

“The Common Cents System does not attempt to define what constitutes a 5-weight fly rod or a medium-heavy bass rod. Instead it measures and assigns numeric values to action and power so that direct comparisons between rods can be made.” Dr. William Hanneman

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 04, 2023 05:36PM

Numeric values on power that are related to the standard fly line weights. It's called ERN. Right, Tom? If he just intended numeric values unrelated to fly line weights he could have stopped at IP. I think he intended for ERN to bring together rod power and the right fly line for that power. (Yes, at some specific casting distance)

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: March 04, 2023 06:22PM

I could very well be wrong, but i have never once read a topic on here where a guy asked for IP or ERN of a surf, tuna popping, heavy salt saltwater etc. etc. blank. I really dont see too many requests for ccs data on fly blanks of any sort either. Freshwater, bass, and inshore rod builders are the ones most using the system.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 04, 2023 06:55PM

El,
Build that Shikari PSJ 602 I sent you; it will give you a data point to work from for your lures, than just go longer.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2023 04:24PM

@Tom @Matt is spot on, going back decades I never see CCS asked about or presented for all those other categories of fishing. Pretty much see it mostly for bass/ fresh water and fly.

And again - this is not for industry adoption, everybody here already has an idea of correlation as they share a blank recommendation of IP 436g AA79 to someone looking for a medium xf. Everybody here has a range, they just haven't posted it or really stopped to think about how they are already doing this and formulated it formally in their minds. But they're all doing it, even you Tom.

And let's take what Hannemen said and apply it to science- he said he's not defining a 5wt or MH juat providinga means to draw comparisons. So it's a descriptive system and not prescriptive, perfect. Perhaps he accidentally did something much greater than he even imagined

Within the field of taxonomy they do not prescribe what things are, rather a set of observations collectively contribute to what defines something. These observations apart from the English terms that are then designated as a simple way of summing up those observations are what the thing is.

So you might say IP of 439g and somebody else might say medium, but if the observation of data is referring to the same thing then they do mean the same thing. Numbers are essentially just a language, so IP 436g translates to medium translates to mittel in German if they're all referring to the same observations (which is the CCS result). Now we obviously have a greater range of meaning within the English and German words, but again if it is shared experience and shared belief that a range between 425-615 is medium then to all those making the observation any CCS result that falls within that range IS medium. Words and meaning are all about shared perspective. If a stranger says your outfit looks like crap you might be offended, but if you later learn that where they're from that means it looks nice you'll feel differently. But in general, the agreed upon interpretation will be what we understand an utterance to mean.

Even if we just average the data we have minus the outliers we could find what could be called a baseline for IP ranges to split into 5 groups for ML-H.

Just trying to get everybody to think out loud since they already think about this whether it's merely subconscious or not.

This might not be what Hannemen intended, but if you shine light on an object it will cast a shadow - this is the shadow he cast.

NFC put the sale on but removed free shipping, so I'm not gonna bother anyway. I really was just trying to catch the sale, but I'm probably better off not and just learn/ experience more myself anyway. @Spencer, I think that's what I'll do, thanks for the good idea. I wasn't sure how "medium" that was and was just thinking of rounding out my shorter blanks with longer blanks and really analyze how I feel about the different lengths. But I'm probably good with what I have, I'm gonna hit you up to talk more about that build.

Again, I'm not taking away from or adding to Hanneman's work, just reading between the lines. Many great discoveries have unforeseen implications and can often be further studied to reveal more.

Grace and peace,
El

Posted by: Darwin Wong (209.171.88.---)
Date: March 05, 2023 04:50PM

El Bolinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> NFC put the sale on but removed free shipping, so
> I'm not gonna bother anyway. I really was just
> trying to catch the sale, but I'm probably better
> off not and just learn/ experience more myself
>

FYI, If you are referring to the spring sale the free shipping option is working again. Appears to have been busted when they sent the emails out

Lot of different thoughts and opinions on this topic. I found it to be a good read! I do a CCS measurement on blanks I buy just so I can compare them with what others have and for my own reference these days

Date: March 05, 2023 05:02PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your idea for a longer rod, I was thinking you could take the rod, even if you only have everything taped on out and see how that power blank does, with your lures. If it needs more power CC the blank and make your now educated guess just how much more power you may need, and the action needed by how the tip works for you. If everything is great but, you want a longer rod, you may find what you need with all the info passed lately. I personally have always had a soft spot for the 1 and 2 power SJ blanks in any length, but 7 ft. has always been my preference, longer than that is a relatively new option. I have a XMG 50 Lamiglas 7 1/2 ft. LSJ 901 that is a favorite.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 05, 2023 06:34PM

The SJ 803 and 804 blanks are both nice blanks with a fairly light tip. Just glued handles on a cut down 804 as well as a CB704 today. Interested to see how they both do at lighter ends.

Date: March 05, 2023 07:32PM

The SJ 804 shortened to 7 1/2 ft. is used as a hover technique rod for salmon.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster