I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Northfork LMX FAF907-4
Posted by: Greg Bilyk (---)
Date: March 01, 2023 12:04PM

Hello,
New to this group. New to rod buildings too. Looking for some guidance on building my 9' 7Wt 4Pc blank. Guide size and spacing. I have looked at charts online but not sure I have seen one for a 4pc. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.. Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Northfork LMX FAF907-4
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: March 01, 2023 12:15PM

NFC has their chart which gets you pretty close [northforkcomposites.com] which gets you pretty close before static test.

16-10-strippers to size 2 snakes or
12-8 strippers to size 1 snakes if you like smaller guides (my preference) I like the way Cerecoil double foot strippers look. Others prefer Fuji KW style.

Just a couple options to start the thought process

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2023 08:18PM by Tim Scott.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 01, 2023 02:55PM

I have built out a couple of these same blanks, and I find the NFC guide spacing to be "right on." I also find I do not need a size 16 stripper and instead went with 12 & 10, also used size 3 single foot runners for the balance of the rod. Both clients love the rods!

Date: March 01, 2023 03:21PM

Thanks for the input! I did see the spacing but did not see sizes. This helps.. I can see there are options! Thanks again.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 02, 2023 04:53PM

I just completed a 9' 5wt. LMX FAF rod, and I in the process of a 9' 8wt. LMX FAF

I think guide spacing is the same for 5-8 wts, but check their charts.

As to guide size for 7 wt: I would recommend a size 16 stripper to a size 12 (same type of guide as stripper), and from there you can either decide to taper your running guides or not. Single or double foot snake guides are your option.

If you want to taper go 16-12-5-3 and all the rest 2. Non taper would be 16-12-all the rest 2.

You smallest running guides need not be larger than a 2. Some would say use a 1 if using double foot snake guides. I would not go to a size 1 if using single foot running guides, but a 2 or 3 depending on the guide chosen.

I have found the PacBay PBTDCZ titanium guides with zirc ring to be quite nice and attractive in design, size and weight. I know that Anglers Workshop/Lure Parts on line carries them. The Cerecoil and Recoil double foot, double loop guides make for nice stripper guides and the first guide in from the stripper guides. Technically, there is only one stripper guide, even if the second guide up from the butt is the same type of guide.

Date: April 06, 2023 10:02AM

Question on using the sticker provided for this blank.... Since this blank has the ribbed texture, ( for lack of better terms ), i cannot get the factory provided sticker to adhere properly.. anybody else having this issue or what am i doing wrong ?? Thanks in advance... G

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 06, 2023 10:35AM

Hello Greg.

Lay down a layer of epoxy where the sticker is going to go and once it's at least tacky dry put on your sticker.

If you are unsure you can get it down on a tacky surface without leaving prints just wait till it's dry, the second coat over the sticker will still adhere fine.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: April 06, 2023 06:45PM

I followed the nfc chart for the spacing as well. As for the guide I think I went 12-8- single foot 3’s out to the tip. I really like the action not too fast and not too slow, just right for me.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 09, 2023 12:45PM

I just finished my NFC LMX FAF908-4. Great rod.

NFC spacing chart was spot on. I used 16 stripper, 12 (same type as stripper) and Recoil double foot running guides, most of them size 2. PacBay Channel Lock fly reel seat, full wells grip and 1.5 inch fighting butt. Grey thread. Gen 4 epoxy (great stuff!).

Lawn cast for the first time two days ago. Terrific rod. Exceeded expectations and I got on Black Friday for $75, along with a 5wt blank.

Yes, for the sticker put down a layer of epoxy first to create a smooth surface. I did about a 1/4 wide wrap in front of the winding check and another about 3 inches up the blank from the winding check. Put a layer of epoxy on that area, Then applied the sticker. And another layer or two of Epoxy. I have also on NFC blank done the same but rather than sticker used paint pen (Gelly Roll) to write on the rod information. Either way, use another coat or two of epoxy to cover..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster