I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Requesting ICRBE Update
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 28, 2023 12:18AM

I hope that all able to attend this year's ICRBE had an enjoyable and enlightening time and safe travels. Being one unable to attend, I’m certain to not be alone in anxiously wanting to learn how the NFC “sensometer” demonstration / display / seminar went. Is it the newest thing since sliced bread? The suspense is killing me!!! Pray tell!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Requesting ICRBE Update
Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: February 28, 2023 03:27AM

Greetings Mark,

There wasn't a “sensometer” demonstration. In fact there wasn't an NFC or Edge rods presence at all at the expo. NFC/Edge rods equipment and product wasn't able to make it to the show due to weather, so nothing made it. I was looking forward to the “sensometer” demonstration myself, along with their product as well.

Thanks

Stan

Date: March 01, 2023 04:03PM

So, no merchandise or displays from Batson and PacBay as well? What a shame if the expo was missing such heavy-hitters and reputable businesses.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 01, 2023 04:15PM

Batson was represented in a number of ways at the show - HFF Custom Rods had a TON of Batson product inventory for sale.... I demoed the Dream Reamer & Ultimate Reamers as a part of the ThreadCentral Learning Center and Batson was one of the sponsors of that - including donating a Alps wrapper along with other product to raffle as prizes. I had colored Alps guides for sale, and Just for Fishing / Reggie K had a number of Rainshadow blanks for sale for great deals..... Would have been nice of course to have Bill, Karry and the crew there to chat with certainly - but they were there in spirit & support for sure.

Date: March 01, 2023 05:00PM

Thanks for the update Michael.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2023 05:41PM

The Expo didn't miss anyone. It is so much larger than any company, or any two or three companies. The current heavy hitters were all there. Tons of product - more than ever before. A record attendance and record sales reported by every exhibitor I spoke to. This event does not turn on one or two or three companies. It's just so very much more than that.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: March 01, 2023 06:06PM

I only went to the EXPO because I knew a certain company was there and it was worth it because I was able to purchase some blanks from this one company at a great discount so it was worth it to me . Of course I browsed for hours but I just left with what I came for . I myself wouldn't say all the current heavy hitters were there if NFC didn't make an appearance but that's just me and I understand why they couldn't make it. The times when I new my favorite blank manufacturer wasn't going to be there I didn't go but perhaps I'm in the minority .

OK apparently NFC did make an appearance so my mistake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2023 06:09PM by chris c nash.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2023 06:27PM

Aleks Maslov was there for the first day and talked with a bunch of people, including myself. However, none of the NFC inventory arrived due to shipment delays caused by the storms in the Northwest, which continued throughout the northern tier of states. He was very upset with the situation, but there was nothing that could be done. C’est la vie.
Norm

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-107.net)
Date: March 01, 2023 06:29PM

I have not been to all the Expos but have been to a few. This year with All Around Fishing, HFF, & Hatteras Jack I would say there was more product in the hall than at any Expo I have ever been to and that includes when Mudhole has been there. I know there were more blank mfgs there than ever before. and a couple of them were new and up and coming in the industry. Thrasher, Point Blank, Rodgeeks, Rodforge, Century, CTS, Stryker, American Tackle and probably more that I cannot remember right now. And there were tons of Batson blanks at All Around Fishing and HFF, probably hundreds of them. The Expo just gets larger and larger every year. It is the companies that were not there that missed out on a golden opportunity. I know supply chain issues have hurt some and they do not have enough inventory for something like the Expo just yet but anybody that attended can tell you there was no trouble finding somebody to spend your money with.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2023 07:49PM

Mike, you are quite correct, a lot of places to spend your money, and a lot of blanks from different manufacturers to choose from. A lot of high quality stuff.
Norm

Date: March 01, 2023 08:44PM

As I was unable to attend, thanks to those replying with updates and information of this year's expo. Apparently, it was yet another success. I am a tad jealous and have wanted to attend, but it is difficult for me to justify the cost coming from the other side of the continent. I’m giving you all fair warning though; possibly next year.

Mark Talmo

Date: March 01, 2023 08:45PM

So NFC showed up but no product is what I'm gathering , that's a HUGE negative with NFC owning this board and so many wanting to check out their new carbon Air tech . Feel very bummed for Alek and NFC.

Date: March 01, 2023 08:54PM

Chris,

NFC can't be held accountable for weather events. They attend many events around the globe each year and have to work on short notice. It's good to ship product early to forestall any weather issues but due to the many events they attend and the difficulty in producing and pulling stock to supply each event they are forced to work on a short and tight schedule. They planned to be at the Expo in full force and got hit by a sudden weather event that was beyond their control. This isn't the first time than an exhibitor has had such an issue. It's part of the event business where a million things beyond your control can go wrong. You plan and then you roll the dice. The outcome is what it is.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 01, 2023 08:59PM

There are plenty of good sources and service across the various rod building spectrums. For instance, I’ve long used Rod Dancer and Gen4 products. I hadn’t had any bad luck with other epoxy and finish makers, just great luck with that line. I recently called Flex Coat and John Cates answered. He so wonderfully answered every question I had about their “@#$%& or Highwater” epoxy. I am certainly going to use it. My blank builds include St. Croix, Rainshadow, and United Composites. I’ve become partial to a certain Sea Guide reel seat and put buttt caps, hook keepers, and winding checks in the orders. Fuji offers some superb guides and I’ve also had good luck with a couple of other brands. I’ve never had anything but great transactions with VooDoo and Utmost.

Date: March 01, 2023 09:09PM

I previously said I understood that completely I'm just saying that not having the manufacturer who many consider makes the best blanks in the industry at this event is a huge bummer . It's understood why but it's still very disappointing . As I said in my earlier post I personally went in the past for the sole reason of seeing RodGeeks and CTS blanks up close and being able to handle them . If those two weren't participants I wouldn't have made the trip . I know how many were extremely excited about the NFC sensitivity testing and being able to check out their latest blanks first hand and I feel for the people who made the trip expecting to be able to do see all that but as you said it's for a reason that nobody really has control over . The Expo is always worth attending especially if the trip is reasonable .

Date: March 01, 2023 09:18PM

Chris,

I understand. That's why the Expo has always focused on so many companies - so that the loss of one or two or even three notable firms don't undermine the event. In the 20 year history of the event only once has no exhibitor not failed to show due to some sort of difficulty. Just part of the event business. A million things can go wrong but only a few can go right. This year's Expo was another huge success. NFC did their best and just had a bit of bad luck. Stryker had the same issue but managed to get product in on Saturday.

Date: March 01, 2023 09:34PM

Sounds like the Expo was the most impressive and successful yet which is incredible because at one time I believe the Expo was up in the air to whether it was even going to continue or not , could be wrong on that . Anyway mad props to you for your relentless hard work and persistence which is one of the biggest reasons why it was such a success . Wishing you many more .

Date: March 01, 2023 09:49PM

Chris,

Thanks for the kind sentiments. The EXPO has never had an "off" year. It's always been successful and has continued to grow and gain steam for each of the past 20 years. The issue is how long I want to put in the time and money to continue it. The reality is that I won't live forever and nobody else that I am aware of either understands the demographics and/or is willing to put in the required investment to make it work. There are a dozen or more rod building events held in the US each year. This is a good thing but none are anywhere near the level of the EXPO.

If the EXPO ends it will not be because it has failed or faltered. It will be because I am no longer able or willing to do it. And if nobody else steps up to fill the gap or invest in their "better" idea for such an event, there will never again be anything like this for the rod building craft.

But, people were building custom rods prior to the EXPO and they'll be building them long after the EXPO has vanished. The craft will remain as long as sportsfishing survives. The future of sportfishing itself is what I am most concerned with at this point.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: March 01, 2023 10:39PM

I really enjoyed the EXPO and meeting and putting a face to a name...and there were a lot of people I never got to talk to.
One of my highlights was talking to Roger Seiders and John Cates of Flex Coat.

Date: March 01, 2023 11:03PM

" At one time I believe the Expo was up in the air to whether it was even going to continue or not"

OK I didn't mean for you to take my above wording as if it was ever a failure that's not what I meant , what I read and it was obviously on this forum is that it might not continue not that it was ever a failure and you just cleared up as to the reason why, it was based on whether you had the interest, time and money to continue doing it . My apologies for the confusion.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster