I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Xi house brand fly blanks
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 23, 2023 09:39AM

Anyone have any experience with these. Looking for a budget 10' 3wt nymph blank. I see some decent reviews considering cost of these Xi blanks. Any other recommendations are also welcome.

Looked at NFC but they only offer a 2wt or a 4wt. Hes wants on a 3 wt. Most other fly blanks are above budget that I'm seeing.

I'm not a fly guy so any info on the build will also be appreciated

TIA
Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Xi house brand fly blanks
Posted by: Bob Foster (205.234.62.---)
Date: February 23, 2023 10:18AM

Not sure on the Xi blanks but Proof Fly has some decent offerings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2023 01:34PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: February 23, 2023 10:36AM

Thx will check em out!

Date: February 23, 2023 10:54AM

Matt Ruggie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thx will check em out!

No worries. I like proof also as they have decent rod specs and guide layout displayed on their store page for a given rod. They even give a measurement for where a winding would be placed

Date: February 23, 2023 01:00PM

Bob. I saw that! Putting it on the short list! I’m out of my comfort zone on picking fly components and that helps big time. Thx again

Date: February 23, 2023 01:10PM

That's true....I never focused on that part but yeah he specs all his blanks as kits as well and if you want you can upgrade the "stock" guides with snake brand as well. Love me some snake brand guides. Matt has been quite good to deal with. I think I've ordered from him4 or 6 times

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 23, 2023 08:08PM

I have seen various iterations of blanks called "Xi." The true XI blanks I am aware of are an in-house brand of Hook and Hackle, and I have found them to be decent blanks. I have seen other blanks called Xi that were less expensive than those of Hook and Hackle. I believe Hook and Hackle is soon coming out with an updated Xi lineup.

You can also check Custom Fly Rod Crafters in Albq, NM.

Date: February 23, 2023 10:42PM

Thx David, yes the H&H were the ones I was looking at. They seemed like a good deal, with warranty, and a good number of positive reviews online. I did see the others labled "Xi" on the bidding site and they were much cheaper with no warranty and when I inquired about them to the seller, the answer was alittle odd.

Yes I saw on their site that the H&H Xi were being redesigned and the sale price right now was to clear out tje previous model year.

Date: February 24, 2023 07:48PM

I built a 9 ft. 5 wt Hook and Hackle Xi rod about 4 years ago. I got the blank on a ridiculous 50% off deal they used to run. I think now they are selling at 40% off. For that price they are certainly worth it. They are not fast rods, so avoid if you want a fast rod. My rod has good sensitivity and I would call it a medium to medium fast rod. Good all around stick, and it is particularly good as a nymph rod.

So I bought the 10 foot 3 wt blank you are referring to on huge discount a year ago, but have yet to make it. I think given the action and tip flex of my 5 wt that the 10 foot 3 wt will make a very good nymphing rod, unless you want one that is really stiff. In fact, I am debating putting a fighting butt adapter on mine so I could put a 3/4" to 1" butt on it for nymphing (forearm rest) and also a 3" - 4" butt to use as a trout spey rod.

Date: February 25, 2023 11:03AM

David,
Thx again. You’ve confirmed I’m on the right track. Was researching nymphing (I’ve only euro nymphed 1 time with my buddy) rods and came up with similar idea of the small fighting butt. Also thinking downlocking reel seat to help balance. I’ve read the stripper guide placement is sometimes moved closer towards the butt on these nymph specific builds too. Any thoughts?

Was thinking 1 size 10 titanium dbl foot stripper to 2 size 6 single ft fly guides and then single ft size 5 runners out to the tip. The single ft guides are wire no insert. Not sure how these sizes relate to the fly nomenclature of 2/0,1/0,1 etc. tho.

Matt

Date: February 25, 2023 12:37PM

Yes, the typical Euro nymph rod has it's stripper located closer to the reel seat than a traditional fly rod. A size 10 is fine. Many Euro nymph rods use singe foot guides, but that is not a requirement. A down-locking reel seat with small fighting butt will help balance the rod better and the butt will give your forearm a resting place. You can buy a packaged downlocking reel seats with recessed hood in fighting butt from Proof Fly Fishing or Custom Fly Rod Crafters.

It is debatable if you need to taper the size of running guides. You can go from the size 10 stripper directly to a common size running guide if you like. See article on guides [www.rodbuilding.org]

For a 10 ft 3 weight you do not need your final running guides to be any larger than a single foot size 2, and many would say use a size 1. Here is what Sage recommended in regard to placement and size for their 10 foot ESN rods when they were selling blanks: [www.flyshack.com] I would print that out fast as they no longer sell blanks so it may not be up long.

I would not go up 2 sizes, as Sage indicates. Your smallest single foot running guides should be a 1 or a 2. And a 10 stripper is fine. 12 is OK too.

I would suggest:

10 or 12 stripper, 1 size 4 single foot, one size 3 single foot and from that all size 1 or size 2 single foot. The other side of the debate would say 10 or 12 stripper, and all the rest size 1 or size 2.

I presume you have built rods but just not fly or nymph. Small single foot guides take some practice and patience to wrap, and you can look at the Forhan locking wrap that some espouse.

Proof Fly Fishing suggest this guide placement: [www.proofflyfishing.com]

Previous debate on this forum: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2023 12:49PM by david taylor.

Date: February 27, 2023 10:13AM

This gives me a really good place to start....thx again.

Posted by: Mike Juliana (136.226.55.---)
Date: February 28, 2023 01:49AM

One thing you may want to consider is that instead of running single foot guides all the way to the tip, use double foot snakes on the last couple. I've read that this can help prevent leader/tipper from wrapping around the guides.

Date: February 28, 2023 09:37AM

Mike Juliana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing you may want to consider is that instead
> of running single foot guides all the way to the
> tip, use double foot snakes on the last couple.
> I've read that this can help prevent leader/tipper
> from wrapping around the guides.

Great point. In doing some research this came up. Somewhere I saw this mentioned one a factory rod where the the guide closest to the tip was a snake. Thx

Posted by: Mike Bernazzani (---.res-cmts.mlf.ptd.net)
Date: February 28, 2023 03:51PM

I've built two of the nymph rods and one lime-green fiberglass 7' 3wt. Nice for the price. The nymph rods fish quite well. One that I built is a matte black which I did with solid green wraps. I kinda like that one.
Mike B
PS: Sorry, I see posting photos not allowed on board.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2023 04:37PM by Mike Bernazzani.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2023 07:58PM

Mike B
Thx..yeah love to see. You can post photos here now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster